Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

55 Reg 2.0 Petrol Temp Gauge

rickers

Hi guys;

having recenlty bought a 2.0 petrol t-spirit, i have found that the temperature gauge seems slow to go to 'normal' temp, at least about twice the distance compared to my old car which was an import, and the overdrive on this car would not engage untill 'warm' which normally meant the normal position.

could be 2 reasons:

1. thermostat broken and 'open': don't think so as i have had this on my old car and on a descent you could actually see the gauge go down. this does not happen with the avensis.

2. the guage pickup is in a different place compared to my old car. Wife's volvo warms up quickly too i have to add for good measure.

one observation is also that during the cold snap the guage was right down again after about 20 minutes standing. can it be that compared to other gauge's the gauge moves between say 50 and 90 odd, and other gauge's might be 30 and 90 odd.

This still would not explain the 4 miles travel till warm though :) :(. economy is 32 till 35 for shortish travel to wrk (6 miles on mainly 60 max road with little holdups.

any comments

thanks

rick

In all honesty the only sure way of checking a thermostat is working correctly is to take it out and test it.

Is the engine actually slow to heat up or could the temp fauge be faulty??

Does the heater deliver good heat output??:)

In all honesty the only sure way of checking a thermostat is working correctly is to take it out and test it.

Is the engine actually slow to heat up or could the temp fauge be faulty??

Does the heater deliver good heat output?? :)

I agree James but I would just take it out and replace it for peace of mind, it could have been in for the past 5 yrs, they really cost that much surely.

Regards Pete.

Thanks for the reply guys.

I am probably getting used to it, but as it is so much different to my old car it initially worried me, and you have not get much time as a comeback with the dealer. The car was sh*t prepared as it turned out when i picked it up, and I have been nagging the dealer ever since. LOL

And I don't think i shpould be replacing the thermostat myself on a car i have had for less then 2 months, but as you said it's easy, which it was when i did it on my old car. I will probably wait till the temp goes up and see. I did notice this thermostat is a bit more difficult to get to then the last one i replaced but well see.

last fill up was 40.5 ltr for 275 miles= 30.8 mpg, but comp indicated higher, do you guys get a lot of difference????

although driving home at 60-65 mph was 43.5 mpg indicated over 25 miles. much better.

rick

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links