Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Acceleration Problems

paul earnshaw

Toyota Avensis 2.0 D4D Tourer 2005 55,000 miles

Fault:

After driving on the motorway for 8 miles the car will no longer accelerate properly. Along the flat and dowhill it will accelrate slowly but on

any incline speed is lost. The only way to accelrate is to shift down to a lower gear until the revs are above 3,300 at which point normal

accelration resumes. After a further 15 miles the fault clears and the car drives normally for the rest of the day even if parked for a few

hours. My main toyota agent has tested the car and can provide no resolution to this problem since there are no fault codes present even

when the fault is present and it is being driven. Their realtime diagnostics showed nothing abnormal even though the car would not

accelerate.

Could it be the fuel cap, perhaps it is not venting properly. If a vacume builds up in the vent fuel would be restricted, causing fuel starvation.

The vacume could clear itself after a period of time.

Could it be the fuel cap, perhaps it is not venting properly. If a vacume builds up in the vent fuel would be restricted, causing fuel starvation.

The vacume could clear itself after a period of time.

Hi Bos, the vacuum problem would get only worse, ie the fuel pump sucking fuel from an unvented tank would try to collapse the tank but the engine would cut out first, a slight vent blockage may cause loss of power but it wouldn't get better over time, only worse in my view.

I would go along with cmia on this one.

Pete.

Fault:

After driving on the motorway for 8 miles the car will no longer accelerate properly. Along the flat and dowhill it will accelrate slowly but on

any incline speed is lost. The only way to accelrate is to shift down to a lower gear until the revs are above 3,300 at which point normal

accelration resumes. After a further 15 miles the fault clears and the car drives normally for the rest of the day even if parked for a few

hours. My main toyota agent has tested the car and can provide no resolution to this problem since there are no fault codes present even

when the fault is present and it is being driven. Their realtime diagnostics showed nothing abnormal even though the car would not

accelerate.

injectors

EGR

Fault:

accelerate.

injectors

EGR

The injectors were one of the things the toyota garage did measure and they were all working correctly.

Replace

Fuel filter.

Clean MAF

EGR

then try.

Any helpful hints on how to go about cleaning the MAF and the EGR.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links