Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav 4.2 - Workhorse Or Icon?

PerthRAV

Hi folks, I'm new round these parts...

I've been a RAV4 owner for all of 3 weeks now - bought it when the snow first got bad, with the intention of having an old 4x4 to use as a workhorse when the weather turned nasty (up a hill in Perthshire). Bought a 2001 3 door 2.0 petrol VVTi, and my first time driving it was in difficult conditions - 12in of snow hardpacked into about 4in of cresta run. And it coped - beautifully.

Trouble is, I didn't expect to love it. I should have known - everyone I know who has ever owned a RAV has been almost evangelical about them. So now I'm smitten by what was meant to be a low-budget second car. The car itself seems in pretty good condition given its age, but now I'm thinking it could do with shiny new alloys, maybe a new cover for the spare wheel, and suddenly it's starting to look like an expensive hobby.

So what's your advice folks? Keep the costs down and run it for as long as it lasts? Or lavish attention on it and restore it to its former glory?

:rolleyes:

Welcome to the club

Your probably asking the wrong ones if you want discouraging from pampering your RAV - we all have a fixation on such things. However, your not the first to be surprised how good they are so stick around and you will soon pick up tips for your restoration to former glory.

It does help if you are slightly bonkers if you want to understand us though!!!

how very dare you asking such silly questions - the RAV deserves all it can get!!

I have a set of Fox alloys spare, which came from a 4.1

you anywhere near Auchterarder?

Hi folks, I'm new round these parts...

I've been a RAV4 owner for all of 3 weeks now - bought it when the snow first got bad, with the intention of having an old 4x4 to use as a workhorse when the weather turned nasty (up a hill in Perthshire). Bought a 2001 3 door 2.0 petrol VVTi, and my first time driving it was in difficult conditions - 12in of snow hardpacked into about 4in of cresta run. And it coped - beautifully.

Trouble is, I didn't expect to love it. I should have known - everyone I know who has ever owned a RAV has been almost evangelical about them. So now I'm smitten by what was meant to be a low-budget second car. The car itself seems in pretty good condition given its age, but now I'm thinking it could do with shiny new alloys, maybe a new cover for the spare wheel, and suddenly it's starting to look like an expensive hobby.

So what's your advice folks? Keep the costs down and run it for as long as it lasts? Or lavish attention on it and restore it to its former glory?

:rolleyes:

Good heavens! Snap! I bought a non running 4.2 in late December for exactly the reasons that you did! Could not use it in the snow as it awaited a new clutch but thought it would come in handy for Dartmoor lanes and muddy farm tracks. Like you, I found driving it to be a better, more comfortable and more economical experience than I thought it would be. This has posed questions for the future for me too! I am already thinking, not of throwing too much money at this one but saving the pennies to trade up to a better one - diesel 4.3 would suit me well in due course - but in the meantime this one will be a handy workhorse.

Mike D

cheers guys - I may well be a bit mad, so good to know that's an advantage! Guess I was partly looking for reassurance that it wouldn't be completely mental to spend good money on a 9 year old car! Not that I have a huge amount to spend, and much as I love cars I have no technical abilities at all (hence hanging round here to see if I can learn something...)

Mike, yes, like you I'm also considering a newer one when my 'proper' car is up for replacement in 18 mths time, but I'm disappointed that they don't make my 3-door version any more. No doubt a diesel would be much more economical (I normally drive diesels and get over 50mpg, and haven't properly worked out what I'm getting in the RAV, but it'll be less than 30) but I guess 9 years ago they were making far fewer diesels, so I couldn't find one I could afford.

And yes, I'm not that far from Auchterarder and pass that way most days. What would be the deal on the wheels Bothwell?

:)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links