Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

1.6(4afe) Avensis Judders When Picking Speed

GeorgeJoseph

Hello All,

Its been a long time since I posted on the forum. I am still sticking with the avensis I bought in nov 2007. Did 11k miles in 2 years. Off late, I notice that in city traffic, when I slow down the car to 10-15 mph and then press the throttle, the car jerks a bit as it picks speed, as speed increases the jerking stops. I did change the clutch slave cylinder, but the jerking did not stop. Also, the gears seem a bit too notchy at times, even when I press the clutch to the floor....

I have 98k on the clock and did the long service, 3 months ago.The cambelt was changed at 87k.

Also I have a original clutch for the car, but am yet to get it fitted. The clutch disc of this new clutch has rusted a bit - any idea if this would reduce its effectiveness??? or should I buy a new clutch altogether? Is the jerking I am facing a clutch issue???

ANy help appreciated,

Thanks,

George.

Hello All,

Its been a long time since I posted on the forum. I am still sticking with the avensis I bought in nov 2007. Did 11k miles in 2 years. Off late, I notice that in city traffic, when I slow down the car to 10-15 mph and then press the throttle, the car jerks a bit as it picks speed, as speed increases the jerking stops. I did change the clutch slave cylinder, but the jerking did not stop. Also, the gears seem a bit too notchy at times, even when I press the clutch to the floor....

I have 98k on the clock and did the long service, 3 months ago.The cambelt was changed at 87k.

Also I have a original clutch for the car, but am yet to get it fitted. The clutch disc of this new clutch has rusted a bit - any idea if this would reduce its effectiveness??? or should I buy a new clutch altogether? Is the jerking I am facing a clutch issue???

ANy help appreciated,

Thanks,

George.

Are you sure it is a clutch problem i had the same fault which turned out to be a front brake disc fault both front disc replaced judder gone it like having a tyre off balance fault goes with speed.

Hello All,

ANy help appreciated,

Thanks,

George.

Are you sure it is a clutch problem i had the same fault which turned out to be a front brake disc fault both front disc replaced judder gone it like having a tyre off balance fault goes with speed.

Any one else who thinks this is an issue with the brake discs in the front and not the clutch...if it is the discs...how much would it cost to fix??

I had an issue with the breaks, but it was only when using them. I did however also experience shaking when accelerating and driving at certain speeds. Changing the tires eliminated that problem

Hello All,

. Also, the gears seem a bit too notchy at times, even when I press the clutch to the floor....

I recently changed the gearbox on an 03 Avensis VVti and after changing it I had difficulty changing from 1st to 2nd gear when car was cold and the gears were notchy.I was advised by a Toyota mechanic to spray WD 40 in by the clutch lever in the direction of the release bearing.You will need an extension on the WD 40 can to do this.I used casing off electrical cable.Any oil that might get on the disc should burn off.This cured my prblem completely.

Any other thoughts,today I did not feel the judders that much, but did feel a mighty big one, when I stopped at a roundabout and pressed the throttle to take an exit... I get really annoyed when it shakes everyone in the car... is this the clutch or as mentioned in the responses is it my disc brakes requiring changes?

Hello All,

ANy help appreciated,

Thanks,

George.

hello mate

in case the car was stored for a long time -- please have all spark plugs unscrewed and clean them -- may be they all have spark lose or so leading to your symptoms. you ve stated of most parts changiing -- i do not belive they have been installed incorrectly. what about primer booster pump/filter ??? are they give you no faults?

cheers/Igor

oK.. I did pour some WD40 into the clutch bulkhead, with a straw which came with the can.The notchiness has reduced remarkably.I noticed that my tyre pressure had come down to 28, I usually fill till 32. So I increased pressure to 32 and the car seems to be smoother. would it be possible that the judder I was feeling when picking up speed was due to the tyres??? BTW my tyres are pretty new. They were changed about 6000 miles ago.

oK.. I did pour some WD40 into the clutch bulkhead, with a straw which came with the can.The notchiness has reduced remarkably.I noticed that my tyre pressure had come down to 28, I usually fill till 32. So I increased pressure to 32 and the car seems to be smoother. would it be possible that the judder I was feeling when picking up speed was due to the tyres??? BTW my tyres are pretty new. They were changed about 6000 miles ago.

the tyres pressure is responsible for fuel consimption + acceleration reaction speed.

cheers/\igor

It may also be worth checking the engine mounts - a fairly common cause of judder when moving off or accelerating.:)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links