Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2.0 Petrol Manual Power Flat Spot When Cold

rickers

HI Guys;

some more help required.

i noticed that when the engine is cold i seem to have a hesitation/flat spot when driving between 2000-3000 rpm with a light engine load. any suggestions? the car is new to me and has recenlty been cleared for faults by the supplying dealer, they would would they. :) :(

when warm it seems ok though. also when you go oover 3000 rpm there is a distinctive power addition, small kick in the back or more like the turbo is kicking in although it has no turbo.

any ideas?

could an ECU zap help?

rick

HI Guys;

some more help required.

i noticed that when the engine is cold i seem to have a hesitation/flat spot when driving between 2000-3000 rpm with a light engine load. any suggestions? the car is new to me and has recenlty been cleared for faults by the supplying dealer, they would would they. :) :(

when warm it seems ok though. also when you go oover 3000 rpm there is a distinctive power addition, small kick in the back or more like the turbo is kicking in although it has no turbo.

any ideas?

could an ECU zap help?

rick

diesel /petrol ???

How is the cold idle?

Igor, it says petrol in the headline

How is the cold idle?

Igor, it says petrol in the headline

oh, sorry - where're my eyes :D

In your cases?

on startup idle goes upto about 1800 then drops to 1400 at some point and then further down to sometimes 800 sometimes 1000. overall economy indicated is 36.7 over 175 miles whereas daily commute is 6 miles each way, so not too bad.

just find it sdtrange that when at 3000 you get a real kick where as my previous car the power was more subtle.

not sure what else to say.

thanks rick

just find it sdtrange that when at 3000 you get a real kick where as my previous car the power was more subtle.

not sure what else to say.

That'll be the VVTI kicking in. I love that, make sure the engine is nice and warm and then boot it!

I thought it woudl kick in at higher revs. my wife's volvo v40 1.8 doesnt really loosen untill 4000+ for some more power.

i guess under 3000 in the toyo it will be more economical.

rick

Not sure how the Vvt-i is supposed to work when cold, but could it be, that it doesn't really engage until the engine is warm?

Or maybe there is a problem with the vvt-i activating mechanism when cold. It is activated hydraulically. Oil doesn't always like low temperatures.

Could also be a stuck EGR valve that loosens up when warmed up

Have experienced same with my 2.0 vvti. dealer remapped ecu and seemed to improve although did not elliminate.

Thinking about it now it is only when cold.

The kickin at 3000rpm is sweet and if in the right gear you can upset most grubby little kids with their modified toy car between by an old mans car!

Sorry not being stereotypical, I'm 42 and I love my avensis - regard it as great value for money.

VMSSYS: I might do this, maight be difficult to get in as the dealers are going to be swamped with recall cars.

the negine feels great when the VVTI kicks in and it certainly makes things lively for an old mans car.

After a false start csued by the dealer, I am begining to enjoy this car. Economy is better then my old 2 liter too at 37 mpg over 220 miles. looking good.

rick

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links