Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Panel Lights

xanderglass

I bought a new Prius a few months ago. Very occasionally when I am driving, the instrument panel lights, which are normally brightly lit, go dim for no apparent reason.

Is this normal or is there a fault somewhere?

Is this something to do with the light sensor (front of the dash panel, passenger side) deciding whether it's daytime or nighttime? :unsure:

I think it's most noticeable if you are driving at dusk.

Fujisan is right - it's totally normal, and caused by the light sensor in the dashboard.

It only happens when driving during daylight/dusk with your headlights turned on. When you drive under a bridge / go though a tunnel/ under trees / etc the sensor detects that it's got darker - so it dims the dispays to reduce glare. When you pop out into normal daylight again - it reverts back to daytime mode.

Same thing happened on my previous Volvo - The colours on the console display inverted at dusk/night times.

I know on the T-spirit display, you can switch to day colours, not sure about the T3.

I know on the T-spirit display, you can switch to day colours, not sure about the T3.

How do you do that. Ta?

How do you do that. Ta?

Press the 'Disp' button and then press 'Day Mode' on the screen.

Thanks for the replies and for the reassurance.

I am glad it's not a fault and that I don't have to take it to a Toyota garage - - - - I have a feeling they may be slightly busy this week!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links