Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hybrid Battery Indicator

MichaelM

I have had my Gen 3 T-Spirit since December. The Hybrid Battery Indicator level varies all the time as it should.

However, it has never shown all eight segments full i.e. never shown a 100% charge.

The local dealer says it will not show 100% charge during the winter months.

Any comments?

Try putting it in "B" next time you are on a steep descent.

I do not think you have a fault your dealer is probably correct in his statement. I must say I have not paid much attention to the amount of charge the hybrid Battery is showing for a while.

I have had the Battery down to 1 bar once and only once for a short while. Was in heavy traffic with all lights, rear window on and moving on Battery alot.

I have had full bars showing quite a few times, even without using the B function. Just coasting down a long incline or steep hill does the trick. I have actually once had the regen braking switch off when the Battery was completely full when going down a very long hill. You will find weird things happen when the battery is full. The car appears to try and remove the excess any way it can and as quickly as possible. You will find it will run in electric only (without selecting EV mode) upto high speeds over 40 mph for a short while to try and get the battery back down to two bars from the top.

I think this is because the car likes to keep the battery between 40% and 70% charge as often as it can as this helps the longevity of the battery.

I think this is because the car likes to keep the battery between 40% and 70% charge as often as it can as this helps the longevity of the battery.

GC hit the nail on the head :thumbsup:

The control system likes to protect the Battery ;)

I've found the opposite - frequently in this cold weather the Battery is "full" because the engine keeps running to warm up far far more than it does in the summer. I will say that when its full it looks like you could get an extra bar in the display but there isn't one. Are you sure this isn't what you're seeing?

When my indicator is down to 2 bars the engine generally starts up to top it up to 3 bars then shuts down again - totally normal behavior.

And yes - as you'd expect - the Hybrid drive protects the long term health of the Battery at all times.

Thanks to everyone for their comments - as usual with this forum hearing other owners' views is very useful.

I will say that when its full it looks like you could get an extra bar in the display but there isn't one. Are you sure this isn't what you're seeing?

Page 199 of the manual shows a max of 8 bars and this shows it right to the top of the 'battery'.

I have never ever got more than 7 and this leaves a gap for one more bar. Anyway that's how it looks to me.

I guess that I will have to wait for the summer weather or find a very very long hill!

By the way:

Q. How do you know when you have forgotten to switch back out of B?

A. You wonder why the cruise control will not set!

I've found the opposite - frequently in this cold weather the battery is "full" because the engine keeps running to warm up far far more than it does in the summer. I will say that when its full it looks like you could get an extra bar in the display but there isn't one. Are you sure this isn't what you're seeing?

When my indicator is down to 2 bars the engine generally starts up to top it up to 3 bars then shuts down again - totally normal behavior.

And yes - as you'd expect - the Hybrid drive protects the long term health of the battery at all times.

Nope that isn't full. Full is when that last bar is filled. In fact it is such a rare occurance for the last bar to light up that when it does it seems to be slightly brighter than all the others for some reason. :unsure:

I've found the opposite - frequently in this cold weather the battery is "full" because the engine keeps running to warm up far far more than it does in the summer. I will say that when its full it looks like you could get an extra bar in the display but there isn't one. Are you sure this isn't what you're seeing?

And yes - as you'd expect - the Hybrid drive protects the long term health of the battery at all times.

I seem to recall it can range from ~40% to 80%. In cold weather, the HV Battery is also being charged because that's a good way to warm a Battery up to its efficient operating temperature range. There is also an air intake on one side of the rear seats, and I've always assumed that summer or winter, if you choose a comfortable temperature for you, I think the HV Battery benefits.

By the way:

Q. How do you know when you have forgotten to switch back out of B?

A. You wonder why the cruise control will not set!

Been there done that #hangs head in embarrasment#

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links