Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Timing Belt Issues?

man-bing

Ok, i'm not the smartiest person who knows alot about the mechanical side of the car, but i think i've got one now..

I set off from Northampton heading to Birmingham for the day. Trundling along the motorway, my oil light lit up??

Thinking back when i last checked it, wasn't that long ago, i remembered i overfilled it with oil, so was trying to workout why it came on.

But, as i slowed down with heavy traffic, i noticed my car was more noisy than normal, esp when i was at standstill, but as i slowly pulled away, strange squealling sound sounded but soon faded when i picked up speed, would this be my timing belt causing this??

On the way home, the oil light again lit up, but more on/off not like flashing, but if i did a higher speed (70-80mph) it would come on, and go off again when i slowed down (below 60mph)

I know i this is a cause of concern, but would you think i've done some damage along the way???

Just been down to my local Mr T and was told they can't repair it till beginning of March!! :crybaby:

Was quoted about £115 for a V-belt replacement, does this sound right?? :wacko:

V-belt, isnt that for the fan? How did they explain the oil warning light coming on being connected to that?

Can't be a big job as the belt will be about £15 and the labour an hour at £100 an hour :crybaby:

1: If you have oil in it, the oil pressure switch may be on the way out

2: The squealing noise could just be a loose V belt (fan belt) Timing belts don't "slip" the car would stop if it did!

3: I dont know what specific model you have but the V belts can be expensive, PM me your details and I will price you one

Kingo :thumbsup:

Thanks for the advice Kingo :thumbsup:

It's not something i want to do myself, hence i want a garage to do it for me, as i said, wouldn't know where to start if you gave me all the parts.

I think i will try my luck, and hope it last till next month, only been slightly more nosiy than normal but only time will tell...

Bing

The oil light coming on could be as parts king said oil pressure switch or the oil pump itself.

A common problem when oil pumps start to fail is when they are just idyling it does not pump enough oil about, but when you rev the engine the higher speed of the engine compensates for wear of the pump and the light goes out.

I would start with doing a pressure test on the oil system that will tell you straight away wheather you are getting the right pressure or if its just a switch that is needed. Remeber over filling your engine with oil can lead to too much pressure being built up in the lubrication system and can start to blow the seal's.

The squealling noise could indeed be the v-belt.

The fact that they both have happened together could just be a coincedence.

Hope this helps.

Matt

OI!!!!! give me a pm you numpty. Im about at the weekend so can take a look then and see what the crack is!

Was it Sims that quoted you £115 for a V-Belt change? They quoted me £85 on my T-Sport a week ago. Thieving robbing bar stewards.

Yeah Ricc, it was Sims who like to over-quote me everytime i go to them.

It maybe expensive, but i do like the part of them doing a car valet as well, with the state of my car, i think it makes up for the price of it :lol:

Anyway back to the job in hand, yeah you can pop over and check me car over.

I work split shift hours, but sunday is my day off if thats any help.

Bing

:thumbsup:

Im sure me and my spanner monkey can arrange a sunday fly by! Ill fire you a pm on friday to sort something out. Then we can see whats going on for ya.

Get a poly ribbed v belt from your local motor factors - ask them if they can supply a Gates one as they are much quieter than a OEM one.

20 mins tops to change it (once the engine has cooled down a bit).

Mick

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links