Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Re.water Leaks In Boot Again

SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS

HI Guys...And Girls maybe...

Re my 2001 hatchback 1.8 vvti Avensis...I put a couple of posts up re.the water leaks in my boot a few months back...And thanks to all you guys i received loads of feedback in terms of ideas / opinions/ advice etc etc. Guys i tried absolutely everything...from sealing around gas struts to sealing up air vents behind the rear bumper, removing rubber grommets inside side wells and tyre well to testing the boot seals, etc etc! Thought i was getting some where as the boot stayed dry for a week or two but i checked again this morning...and my god...the left side of the boot carpet (not the side where the jack stays) was absolutely soaked. Its funny because when you lift the soaked carpet the flat metal surface of the body is sort of dry....the side well has a small amount of water gathering but not as much as before. So where its coming from now god knows....the right side (where the jack/tools stay) is dry now whereas before it was also gathering water in the side well.

ANYWAY...I was thinking....what if i drilled holes in the side wells and may be in few other odd places...so that the water can drip outside...i'd treat the holes with antirust paint afterwards...But im terrified i might drill a hole into the fuel tank or some other danger zones/cables/wires etc! What do you guys think???? Please HELP!

Sammy

Before you start drilling holes....have you sat in the boot and got someone to hold a hosepipe (without any attachments) over the boot/roof and actually see if you can watch the water coming?

Before you start drilling holes....have you sat in the boot and got someone to hold a hosepipe (without any attachments) over the boot/roof and actually see if you can watch the water coming?

prob back window seal

Try the old mechanics trick of tracing boot leaks. Empty the boot, remove all carpets, etc. Sprinkle a light coat of talcum powder over the floor area. Then play a hose on the likely points of ingress working from the bottom of the car upwards. Any drips or leaks will leave a distinct stain in the talcum powder and maybe your boot will smell nice aftrewards.:)

Try the old mechanics trick of tracing boot leaks. Empty the boot, remove all carpets, etc. Sprinkle a light coat of talcum powder over the floor area. Then play a hose on the likely points of ingress working from the bottom of the car upwards. Any drips or leaks will leave a distinct stain in the talcum powder and maybe your boot will smell nice aftrewards.:)

Hi guys...

Okay i admit i havent't tried the old talcum powder idea...which coincides with sitting in the boot and hosing water over it/around it/etc...so i will try that 1st before getting the drill out! Thanks guys...I will keeep you updated. Takecare in the meantime.

Sam

Hi guys...

Okay i admit i havent't tried the old talcum powder idea...which coincides with sitting in the boot and hosing water over it/around it/etc...so i will try that 1st before getting the drill out! Thanks guys...I will keeep you updated. Takecare in the meantime.

Sam

If this is a hatchback, I'm willing to bet it's from cracks in the gutter seams (just above the tailgate aperture and under the black gutter trim). The water runs down the side pillars between the panels and drips off near the rear lights onto the boot floor, from here it fills the wells in the corners and into the spare wheel well. (all this is out of sight behind the panel trims)

Remove the trims, put the seats down and get in there when it's raining and you will see it.

No need to drill holes, there are plugs that can be removed to let the water out in the wheel well and the side wells.

Hi guys...

Sam

If this is a hatchback, I'm willing to bet it's from cracks in the gutter seams (just above the tailgate aperture and under the black gutter trim). The water runs down the side pillars between the panels and drips off near the rear lights onto the boot floor, from here it fills the wells in the corners and into the spare wheel well. (all this is out of sight behind the panel trims)

Remove the trims, put the seats down and get in there when it's raining and you will see it.

No need to drill holes, there are plugs that can be removed to let the water out in the wheel well and the side wells.

Hi Q.S.

Firstly THANK YOU for your response. I have already removed the plugs from the side wells and the wheel well but my concern is the water is soaking into the boot carpet itself!!! I removed the carpet yesterday and its still drying out against my radiator! I want to try and fix the problem before i put it back in! Re the gutter seams...i've had people comment on it before but didnt think much of it...so how do i fix those? Do i lift them out and seal them down again? If so where would the water go then? Please do let me know. Regards

sAm

Hi guys...

Sam

Hi Q.S.

Firstly THANK YOU for your response. I have already removed the plugs from the side wells and the wheel well but my concern is the water is soaking into the boot carpet itself!!! I removed the carpet yesterday and its still drying out against my radiator! I want to try and fix the problem before i put it back in! Re the gutter seams...i've had people comment on it before but didnt think much of it...so how do i fix those? Do i lift them out and seal them down again? If so where would the water go then? Please do let me know. Regards

sAm

The gutter trims are stuck down at the ends with a black mastick type adhesive and will need gently prising up from the ends (a strong screwdriver and a block of wood to lever against should do it.)

When you have prised the ends up, the rest of the trim will come up easily. You can leave the front ends glued down.

In the bottom of the gutter channel, you will see where the roof panel joins the side panels with an overlap seam, spot welded and seam sealered. You should be able to see a hairline split in the seam/sealer, usually only the last inch or so before entering the hatch aperture. This is where the water enters via capiliary action between the two panels.

Clean the area well and apply some sealer over the split (sikaflex or some other acrylic base sealer like Tiger seal is ideal, your local bodyshop will help you out on this)

Once this has dried (dries like rubber) you can then stick the trim back in with some of the same. Try not to fill the channel so you leave a gap for water to run away under the trim into the boot hatch aperture.

It will make more sense when you see under the trim.

You will need a fairly warm dry day or the vehicle inside to do the job, or I am sure your local garage bodyshop will do it fairly easily if you tell them the score.

Hope this helps.

Hi guys...

Sam

Hi Q.S.

sAm

The gutter trims are stuck down at the ends with a black mastick type adhesive and will need gently prising up from the ends (a strong screwdriver and a block of wood to lever against should do it.)

When you have prised the ends up, the rest of the trim will come up easily. You can leave the front ends glued down.

In the bottom of the gutter channel, you will see where the roof panel joins the side panels with an overlap seam, spot welded and seam sealered. You should be able to see a hairline split in the seam/sealer, usually only the last inch or so before entering the hatch aperture. This is where the water enters via capiliary action between the two panels.

Clean the area well and apply some sealer over the split (sikaflex or some other acrylic base sealer like Tiger seal is ideal, your local bodyshop will help you out on this)

Once this has dried (dries like rubber) you can then stick the trim back in with some of the same. Try not to fill the channel so you leave a gap for water to run away under the trim into the boot hatch aperture.

You will need a fairly warm dry day or the vehicle inside to do the job, or I am sure your local garage bodyshop will do it fairly easily if you tell them the score.

Hope this helps.

HI Q.S.

Your'e a star...i will try it out and let you know...sounds fairly easy to do...only bit that im unsure about is when you say "Try not to fill the channel so you leave a gap for water to run away under the trim into the boot hatch aperture" ??? I might get carried away with the sealant stuff and seal any/all holes i see and then i might mega seal the gutter trims down too! But then if water needs to run away under the trim into the boot hatch aperture...i might be back to square 1 again=wet boot again! Please let me know if you have time to do so. Thanks. Regards...sam

Hi guys...

Sam

Hi Q.S.

sAm

Hope this helps.

HI Q.S.

Your'e a star...i will try it out and let you know...sounds fairly easy to do...only bit that im unsure about is when you say "Try not to fill the channel so you leave a gap for water to run away under the trim into the boot hatch aperture" ??? I might get carried away with the sealant stuff and seal any/all holes i see and then i might mega seal the gutter trims down too! But then if water needs to run away under the trim into the boot hatch aperture...i might be back to square 1 again=wet boot again! Please let me know if you have time to do so. Thanks. Regards...sam

You will see that it is not a hole but just a hairline crack in the seam, put a small bead of sealer over the crack and smooth down with a wet finger to seal over the crack. Once it has dried and you come to stick the trim back in, use a bead of sealer in the centre of the gutter to leave either side of the bead open for water to run past and into the hatch aperture where it will run harmlessly away as intended. The trim is a "T" section and is stuck down by the leg of the "T", so if you can imagine it, the water runs down either side of the leg.

Hope this makes sense.

Re my 2001 hatchback 1.8 vvti Avensis...I put a couple of posts up re.the water leaks in my boot a few months back...And thanks to all you guys i received loads of feedback in terms of ideas / opinions/ advice etc etc. Guys i tried absolutely everything...from sealing around gas struts to sealing up air vents behind the rear bumper, removing rubber grommets inside side wells and tyre well to testing the boot seals, etc etc! Thought i was getting some where as the boot stayed dry for a week or two but i checked again this morning...and my god...the left side of the boot carpet (not the side where the jack stays) was absolutely soaked. Its funny because when you lift the soaked carpet the flat metal surface of the body is sort of dry....the side well has a small amount of water gathering but not as much as before. So where its coming from now god knows....the right side (where the jack/tools stay) is dry now whereas before it was also gathering water in the side well.

ANYWAY...I was thinking....what if i drilled holes in the side wells and may be in few other odd places...so that the water can drip outside...i'd treat the holes with antirust paint afterwards...But im terrified i might drill a hole into the fuel tank or some other danger zones/cables/wires etc! What do you guys think???? Please HELP!

Sammy

I have an 2.0 D4D Avensis on a 51 plate and i also have a pond in my boot, but my floor is also very wet in the rear passenger side could this be related...

Sammy

I have an 2.0 D4D Avensis on a 51 plate and i also have a pond in my boot, but my floor is also very wet in the rear passenger side could this be related...

Hi...

God the floors wet in the rear passenger side!!! Havent heard of that one yet! I will go and check mine and get back to you. I honestly dont know if its related mate but we'll find out. Do you ever wonder how the hell they make these cars??? I know i'll never buy another toyota again ever!!!! well def.not an avensis! I've only had my car 3 months exactly and everyday i find a new problem...i dont know anymore!

Sam

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links