Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Petrol Guage?

donnyvfr

my 1998 avensis 1.8 gls auto has an erratic petrol guage

is this common for these, i fill the car to the top, drive around 30 miles and stop for 15mins, when i start off again the petrol guage is showing nearly empty and usually creeps back up if i am driving for around and hour. strange though that the low petrol warning light does not come on until the car is really low on petrol. could this just be a sender unit in the tank at fault or something else?

if it is the sender unit then is it a tank out or under back seat like some cars or what please?

many thnaks in anticipation

is this common for these, i fill the car to the top, drive around 30 miles and stop for 15mins, when i start off again the petrol guage is showing nearly empty and usually creeps back up if i am driving for around and hour. strange though that the low petrol warning light does not come on until the car is really low on petrol. could this just be a sender unit in the tank at fault or something else?

if it is the sender unit then is it a tank out or under back seat like some cars or what please?

Common problem and easily sorted. Caused by insufficient clearance between pointer spindle and the gauge panel making the pointer stick. Take the instrument panel out and remove the perspex cover. Stick a piece of masking tape over the gauge scale and under the pointer. Switch on the ignition and tap the gauge area numerous times until you get the highest reading then put a pen mark on the masking tape at this point. This is where you want the pointer to be when you have finished the job. Now carefully remove the pointer from the gauge and you will then see the spindle does not come through the centre of the panel. You now want something like a needle and a cigarette lighter. Warm up the needle and carefully enlarge the hole the spindle passes through by melting the plastic with the hot needle. Refit the gauge pointer and adjust to the mark you made earlier. Reassemble and job done.

As a former Toyota Master Technician I can assure you this was an official fix. Should take you about half an hour. Low fuel warning light does not come on because the sender is sending the correct information.

Common problem and easily sorted. Caused by insufficient clearance between pointer spindle and the gauge panel making the pointer stick. Take the instrument panel out and remove the perspex cover. Stick a piece of masking tape over the gauge scale and under the pointer. Switch on the ignition and tap the gauge area numerous times until you get the highest reading then put a pen mark on the masking tape at this point. This is where you want the pointer to be when you have finished the job. Now carefully remove the pointer from the gauge and you will then see the spindle does not come through the centre of the panel. You now want something like a needle and a cigarette lighter. Warm up the needle and carefully enlarge the hole the spindle passes through by melting the plastic with the hot needle. Refit the gauge pointer and adjust to the mark you made earlier. Reassemble and job done.

As a former Toyota Master Technician I can assure you this was an official fix. Should take you about half an hour. Low fuel warning light does not come on because the sender is sending the correct information.

many thanks thats tomorrows job then for me. i will report back accordingly

many thanks thats tomorrows job then for me. i will report back accordingly

many thanks job done and seems to be behaving itself now. cheers for your help

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links