Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav4 T180 V. Kia Sorento Kx-3

MarsKy

So. Off to Knockhill to pick up a brand new Kia Sorento KX-3 194bhp, 4WD, 6-speed auto (top-of-its-range). Run around the back roads and then onto the offroad course at the racing circuit. Except we can't do the full offroad course because it's still under a foot of snow... But isn't that what 4WD is for?

So we do the back roads, some of the go-kart course and a wee bit of the easy bit of the offroad course. Bits of the circuit are still under a foot of snow, but not a taxing test for the 4WD.

Anyway, I'm comparing the KX-3 with my 57 plate T180. I love the T180 engine. Terrific balance of power, torque and mpg. I dislike the T180 gear box - notchy 2nd gear and 5th and 6th gear spacing is plain wrong. I also had a Mazda6 4WD semi-automatic before my RAV4, and enjoyed it. I don't see the point anymore for manual boxes - not needed on long cruises, and auto is less stress in town driving. So when the KX-3 came out, its spec seemed spot on.

So, KX-3 combo of 194bhp diesel and 6 speed auto is absolutely fantastic - very smooth, quiet, torquey. Loved it. I need a test drive of the new RAV4 150bhp auto for a proper comparison, but the KX-3 just pips the T180 in the sense that the gearbox makes the overall driving easier and enjoyable, and the extra power & torque makes it more punchy.

I tried the old Sorento (totally different chasis and engine from the new one) before I bought my T180. And its cabin was huge, with armchairs for seats. The new Sorento is as spacious, but the seats seemed smaller. When I went back to my T180, I didn't notice any advantage in the KX-3 seating. However, the KX-3 does provide 2 small fold down seats in the back giving 7 overall. Which may be an advantage if you transport hobbits - otherwise they are deadweight which could have been used for smarter storage space. So no point scoring over the T180.

Where the T180 does score points over the KX-3 is in the toys and gadgets. The KX-3 does *not* have: reversing camera (newer RAVs have this option); satnav - no option whatsoever; mobile handsfree bluetooth not an option. Non-UK spec cars do have these options, but UK don't. There is no TPMS.

Where the KX-3 scores points: full spare on an alloy wheel; normal tyres which can be repaired; iPod connection; panoramic (twin) sunroofs; cream or black leather (never liked the no choice of grey leather in the RAV - if Mazda can offer multi-coloured leather in their CX-7, then Toyota should be able to offer more choice). Self-levelling suspension (for heavy loads/ towing) is GBP 500 extra. Towbar is extra at GBP 800.

Otherwise, the KX-3 and T180 have similar toys, and similar mpg. KX-3 tax is a band higher, and a quick insurance check shows the KX-3 to be dearer.

So would I buy a KX-3? Definitely, but not at GBP 30k. It's about 5k overpriced. For 30k, you could get the RAV4 auto 150bhp fully kitted out, and going by Anchs positive reviews of the RAV auto, it would seem that it offers better value for money overall.

And then there's the forums - the Sorento ones are dire...

So. Off to Knockhill to pick up a brand new Kia Sorento KX-3 194bhp, 4WD, 6-speed auto (top-of-its-range). Run around the back roads and then onto the offroad course at the racing circuit. Except we can't do the full offroad course because it's still under a foot of snow... But isn't that what 4WD is for?

So we do the back roads, some of the go-kart course and a wee bit of the easy bit of the offroad course. Bits of the circuit are still under a foot of snow, but not a taxing test for the 4WD.

Anyway, I'm comparing the KX-3 with my 57 plate T180. I love the T180 engine. Terrific balance of power, torque and mpg. I dislike the T180 gear box - notchy 2nd gear and 5th and 6th gear spacing is plain wrong. I also had a Mazda6 4WD semi-automatic before my RAV4, and enjoyed it. I don't see the point anymore for manual boxes - not needed on long cruises, and auto is less stress in town driving. So when the KX-3 came out, its spec seemed spot on.

So, KX-3 combo of 194bhp diesel and 6 speed auto is absolutely fantastic - very smooth, quiet, torquey. Loved it. I need a test drive of the new RAV4 150bhp auto for a proper comparison, but the KX-3 just pips the T180 in the sense that the gearbox makes the overall driving easier and enjoyable, and the extra power & torque makes it more punchy.

I tried the old Sorento (totally different chasis and engine from the new one) before I bought my T180. And its cabin was huge, with armchairs for seats. The new Sorento is as spacious, but the seats seemed smaller. When I went back to my T180, I didn't notice any advantage in the KX-3 seating. However, the KX-3 does provide 2 small fold down seats in the back giving 7 overall. Which may be an advantage if you transport hobbits - otherwise they are deadweight which could have been used for smarter storage space. So no point scoring over the T180.

Where the T180 does score points over the KX-3 is in the toys and gadgets. The KX-3 does *not* have: reversing camera (newer RAVs have this option); satnav - no option whatsoever; mobile handsfree bluetooth not an option. Non-UK spec cars do have these options, but UK don't. There is no TPMS.

Where the KX-3 scores points: full spare on an alloy wheel; normal tyres which can be repaired; iPod connection; panoramic (twin) sunroofs; cream or black leather (never liked the no choice of grey leather in the RAV - if Mazda can offer multi-coloured leather in their CX-7, then Toyota should be able to offer more choice). Self-levelling suspension (for heavy loads/ towing) is GBP 500 extra. Towbar is extra at GBP 800.

Otherwise, the KX-3 and T180 have similar toys, and similar mpg. KX-3 tax is a band higher, and a quick insurance check shows the KX-3 to be dearer.

So would I buy a KX-3? Definitely, but not at GBP 30k. It's about 5k overpriced. For 30k, you could get the RAV4 auto 150bhp fully kitted out, and going by Anchs positive reviews of the RAV auto, it would seem that it offers better value for money overall.

And then there's the forums - the Sorento ones are dire...

Great write up Marsky, surprised that a vehicle so well specked doesnt list sat nav, however i looked at a Hyudai some time ago + that had a dedicated position + pre wired for the Tom Tom of your choice which i think is a brill Idea, you can usually get great discounts on Kias, + 7yr warranty, also some std items on the Kia would be extra on the T180, (eg..roofrails) see LINK for interior + also exterior spec for KIA.. :thumbsup: Stew..PS bet their Forums Crap :D

Great write up Marsky, surprised that a vehicle so well specked doesnt list sat nav, however i looked at a Hyudai some time ago + that had a dedicated position + pre wired for the Tom Tom of your choice which i think is a brill Idea, you can usually get great discounts on Kias, + 7yr warranty, also some std items on the Kia would be extra on the T180, (eg..roofrails) see LINK for interior + also exterior spec for KIA.. :thumbsup: Stew..PS bet their Forums Crap :D

I saw some manufacturers doing the wiring for Tom Toms, and that's the way forward for satnavs as OEM satnavs are too costly to add as an option, and then there's the cost to update later. And Tom Toms are the best in my opinion. As long as there's a cubby hole to sit the unit in. (Incidentally, LIDL are doing a Medion make UK + Ireland unit for GBP 99 on Sunday 7th March).

There's a close Hyundai-Kia link so I wouldn't be surprised to see the KX-3 engine & auto box appearing in the Hyundai's later.

When the ex-demos and manager cars come out in a few months time, the KX-3 may become a better proposition. In fact, Evans Halshaw already have a 1125 mile KX-3 for GBP 25990. But the same will happen with the RAV4 demos.

There are T&Cs on the Kia 7 year warranty - but I never got a definitive answer to what is and isn't covered.

The Kia dealer was offering a GBP 2000 loyalty discount to his existing customers who were at Knockhill, but as I was invited because I happened to show interest at the right time, the dealer wasn't extending the offer to me! It's a shame, because with a half-decent part exchange and a bit of persuasion I might have done a deal there-and-then.

But then I went off in my T180, and I realised its still a great car - with a bit of listening to customer feedback, Toyota could make it brilliant.

The Hyundai Sante Fe is almost the same vehicle (same body, same engine) and was launched before Christmas.

I think it's a little cheaper but you will need to check the spec list carefully.

Here's a review http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/road-test...-2010-road-test

Hmmmm. Pretty ugly from the front and rear, but cheaper price could be a bargaining point if negotiating over other makes.

Great write up - even I was impressed! Now I'm going to look critically at one of our own dieselly monsters and check out its performance........ 1 forward gear and 1 reverse gear..... speed the same in either...front wheel drive or rear wheel drive depending on which way you choose to go... run flat tyres.....and a tremendous carrying capacity!!

i like those kia's.

missus had one for over 2 weeks as replacement loon car when her rav 4 was in the body shop (some dreaming woman drove in the back of it on the m25). it was a black 59 plate full leather. had a spin in it and yes, why drive a rav 4 if you can have a kia sorento? but i must say that it was a bit funny to see such a small girl in a tank! :lol:

now she wants to drive my l200 :unsure:

Are you comparing like for like here? I'd have thought the Sportage was the direct competition to the RAV4?

I have nothing against Kia, and would consider buying one, but I would never pay £20K for one, let alone £30k!!

Are you comparing like for like here? I'd have thought the Sportage was the direct competition to the RAV4?

I have nothing against Kia, and would consider buying one, but I would never pay £20K for one, let alone £30k!!

Don't knock them until you've tried them.

Kia Sorento KX-3 is easily a match for the top-of-the-range RAV4. In some ways better.

And there are lower spec/ cheaper Sorentos which will compete with the lower spec RAVs. (Although choice of RAV models is getting less - give us more choice Mr T).

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links