Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav 4 D4d Warm Up.

Toyopia

As the RAV 4 D4D is my first Diesel can someone tell me does it take quite a while to warm up from cold - I find I have to drive quite a distance before the temp` gauge hits normal or maybe the thermostat is not working properly.

Del.

A diesel bad point, they take an age to warm through. (supposedly because of increased efficiency over petrol)

As the RAV 4 D4D is my first Diesel can someone tell me does it take quite a while to warm up from cold - I find I have to drive quite a distance before the temp` gauge hits normal or maybe the thermostat is not working properly.

Del.

Hi Del,

welcome to the Toyota home for the deranged ;)

In my experience the D4-D engine takes 5 or 6 miles to warm up to the point where the heater is producing anything worthwhile. I guess that the problem is that the same radiator is used in all RAVs no matter if they are sold in Arizona or Antartica so the cooling system is really a bit over engineered for Britain at the moment. Come Summer of course........ Ok,Ok it will still probably be over engineered! Enjoy the RAV - the rest of us have been having a great time in the snow :thumbsup:

I've got 2 ways of going to work, one relatively flat and the other is up a very steep hill (as Kev and Stewpot will confirm). As Chris says the flat way takes me well up to work (about 5 miles) and it has just got warm and the hill way is much less so in my experience it is more related to work done than distance. Petrols warm up much quicker as the are far less thermally efficient. In a diesel most of the heat goes out of the exhaust to the extent that the 4.3s have been fitted with an electric heater element in the heater inlet to reduce the warm up time of the heater. I see the newer ones from 2009 on have a 85w heater instead of a 60w and combined with heated seats it feels to get warmer much quicker.

About 10 mins for me in the cold weather, its good (for a longer engine life) to run the engine for a minute or two before setting off too.

My diesel engine takes a good few miles to warm up too. I don't have far to go to work so it's a cold journey the whole way for me unless I run the Rav for a while sitting in the driveway.

It's a characteristic of the RAV D4D :D :D :D :D

I go out in morning..Start RAV up, then let dog out of house to do his fertilizer bit to the weeds at the bottom of the garden :sick: :sick:

Get bags for work and then drive off.... in about five to ten minutes the RAV is warming up nicely (and if really cold use the Idle Up button)

Del.

Del

Diesels have more piston stroke to have an air compressed prior to injection. So the exhaust gas themperature depends on how long the expansion process lasts -- it is clear the longer piston stroke then less gas themp. Thats is the main reason that it takes time to reach normal working themperature. I deem it is clear now. Cheers/Igor

hi del

yep im the same as others with the d4d,takes about 7 miles to get fully warmed up.

bearing in mind that i always take its easy on cold starts..believe its better for the engine :yes:

or if we have had a frost,then its 'hit' the 'idle up' button,blower on screen..gently de-frosts it whilst i do side windows.

after a min or two,interior is luke warm...just about comfy :thumbsup:

my rav4 is having its 'dreaded DMF' replaced next thurs along with a new clutch,i just hope it drives as well as it has done for last 4 years :yes: after the work is done.

as its an 'engine out' job at my local dealership.... :crybaby:

and i am very very worried :o that it will feel 'horrid' after :(

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links