Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Turbo Problems

grifter

Hello!

I have been told by my garage that I need to find a new engine to put in my 2002 D4D VX Rav. It needs to have the turbo intact as well. I had a squealing noise coming from the engine when accelerating and after invstigation it looks like the turbo has failed. The mechanic has also told me I need a new engine, as there wasn't any oil in it and everything has seized with the turbo failure. No warning light came on. Can anyone out there give me an idea of cost of replacing the engine with second hand one, and is it a good idea to buy a new turbo, rather than a second hand one?

Any other issues I should be aware of ?

Thanks in advance

Grifter :help:

Oh 'eck

Sorry to hear your problems.

Not sure how much they cost, I suppose you could just google or eBay.

I would at least try the turbo that comes with it before trying a new one as they aren't cheap.

there's loads of 2nd hand good engines about from a variety of scrap yards dealing with write-offs.

Turbos come reconditioned which is a cheaper as good alternative. If you buy 2ndhand, normally you'd get a short guarantee period...enough to check the thing works.

good point - a 2nd opinion does no harm - turbos can fail (and often do) without the engine being affected.....and turbos don't last forever either as I found out. They can fail for a variety of reasons. If the engine turns over using the starter then its not quite seized.....the turbo failure I had meant the car reverted to running like a decrepid old RAV but then that was a petrol engine. The turbo had failed due to a build up of extremely hot gases caused by a partial blockage in the exhaust system (a cat convertor)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links