Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis Flat Battery, Not Starting

azstar

I have a 2003 Avensis T Spirit 2.0 vvti.

After suffering a flat Battery due to the car not being driven much, the engine now refuses to fire. I have installed a new Battery, tried jump starting with no luck. The engine turns over fine, it just won't fire. I get the feeling the immobiliser may be the culprit as the car was running fine up until the flat Battery.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

FYI I have also tried leaving the key in for 20mins, with the ignition in position 2 to try and reset the immobiliser but still no joy.

After suffering a flat battery due to the car not being driven much, the engine now refuses to fire. I have installed a new battery, tried jump starting with no luck. The engine turns over fine, it just won't fire. I get the feeling the immobiliser may be the culprit as the car was running fine up until the flat battery.

FYI I have also tried leaving the key in for 20mins, with the ignition in position 2 to try and reset the immobiliser but still no joy.

Possibly with trying to start on a flat Battery you have wet the spark plugs. It's worth a check.

After suffering a flat battery due to the car not being driven much, the engine now refuses to fire. I have installed a new battery, tried jump starting with no luck. The engine turns over fine, it just won't fire. I get the feeling the immobiliser may be the culprit as the car was running fine up until the flat battery.

Possibly with trying to start on a flat Battery you have wet the spark plugs. It's worth a check.

Thanks - I have checked the plugs already and all were dry so I don't think the car is flooded. I also gave the engine a crank with the plugs off the clear the cylinders.

What is the best way to check the engine is receiving fuel?

There was some fuel in the cylinders when I cranked it so I assume it is, but it is worth checking.

the fuel filter,

is the button hard ?

You should be able to smell the fuel

if fuel is going in...

does it get a spark ?

I see it's an Auto .I know this is probably stating the obvious, is it in P or N . I sat for a while trying to start my LS 400 (years ago) and I'd somehow put it in D. I'm not trying to insult your intelligence , I've just learned the hard way to check everything.

I see it's an Auto .I know this is probably stating the obvious, is it in P or N . I sat for a while trying to start my LS 400 (years ago) and I'd somehow put it in D. I'm not trying to insult your intelligence , I've just learned the hard way to check everything.

The way I read it Peter, the engine is cranking but not firing. If it wasn't in P or N it wouldn't crank over.

Daft question but are your sure the new Battery has charge?> It wouldnt be unknown for a new Battery to have been sat around for a few months/yrs on a shelf before being bought. MIght be worth throwning it on charge over night?

Fair comment. I see what you are saying. I am still suffering from the occasional non start on my 1.8 GS after the saga of getting it running so I know just how frustrating it can be. Hope it starts and that someone on here can help. Cheers, Pete.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links