Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Euro Nissan Leaf To Be Made In The Uk

Grumpy Cabbie

The European version of the Nissan Leaf Electic Vehicle IS to be made at Nissans Sunderland plant :)

Good news for Nissan and the Sunderland plant. The vehicle is unlikely to hit the roads until late 2011 at the earliest so one wonders what Toyota will have to compete?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8573724.stm

i heard 2013 for start of production?

doubt it will worry toyota too much. the leaf is a pure plug in, not ideal as it only has 100 mile range and you have to hope there is an accesible power point at your destination.

that said the auris Hybrid will be out long before that and there is also a possibility of a plug in version of that.

the difference with the toyota plug in system is it has a longer Battery only range than the std hybrid but has an engine to cope with the times when a charging point isnt available.

i can see the leaf being popular in london but not sure it will catch on elsewhere (how many Gwiz's have you seen?)

Hi its 2013 for the car to be made in England but 2011 for the car to be imported from Japan

The Leaf battery on its own cost £20,000 and Nissan is thinking up a battery leasing scheme ....

Too expensive for what you get!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/7471643/Nissan-Leaf-to-be-built-in-UK.html

Typical Telegraph. Wait until the release date and judge for yourself :)

The Leaf battery on its own cost £20,000 and Nissan is thinking up a battery leasing scheme ....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/7471643/Nissan-Leaf-to-be-built-in-UK.html

It isn't only the Telegraph . . . . . . . . . others too

It isn't only the Telegraph . . . . . . . . . others too

Yeah but this shows the price of the CAR at £20k which is about right. Then minus the £5000 government EV discount and £15k is ok. The telegraph quoted £20k for the batteries only which is just sensationalist journalism, which is typical of the telegraph.

I'd pay £15k for a Focus sized car - wouldn't you?

Yeah but this shows the price of the CAR at £20k which is about right. Then minus the £5000 government EV discount and £15k is ok. The telegraph quoted £20k for the batteries only which is just sensationalist journalism, which is typical of the telegraph.

I quoted Greenfleet, because they are at the opposite end of the spectrum from the Telegraph. I would expect the real life situation to be somewhere between the two. Even they are quoting £6,000 for the batteries in addition to the price of the car.

Lithium Ion batteries are a fearful price at present and I suspect they are factoring in expected technology improvements to arrive at the quoted leasing price of £100 a month. I think whether that figure is acceptable will depend upon the mileage that you do. There is a nice balance somewhere between staying within the "100 mile for full charge range" and doing enough miles each month to justify the hire of the batteries plus the cost of electricity.

I do only about 8,000 miles a year so it looks a bit pricy for me at present, probably not for you, as long as your shift mileage is less than 100, or you can charge between jobs.

I'm not sure if I would want to pay a monthly charge for leasing a Battery, if I have paid for the rest of the car. What happens when the car was say 8 plus years old? Any buyer at that level of the market place probably could simply not afford £100 monthly Battery lease charge, as well as paying for the electric.

Whilst the Leaf may be popular for a time on urban streets even given its appalling back end design :eek: , once something more advanced with say a 300 mile range comes out, the second hand values will probably drop like a stone.

Generally until they can make batteries smaller, lighter and with the ability to recharge fully in 5 mins rather than 25 minutes,electric will have a limited market. No doubt it will be done. Look at mobile phones!

I quoted Greenfleet, because they are at the opposite end of the spectrum from the Telegraph. I would expect the real life situation to be somewhere between the two. Even they are quoting £6,000 for the batteries in addition to the price of the car.

Lithium Ion batteries are a fearful price at present and I suspect they are factoring in expected technology improvements to arrive at the quoted leasing price of £100 a month. I think whether that figure is acceptable will depend upon the mileage that you do. There is a nice balance somewhere between staying within the "100 mile for full charge range" and doing enough miles each month to justify the hire of the batteries plus the cost of electricity.

I do only about 8,000 miles a year so it looks a bit pricy for me at present, probably not for you, as long as your shift mileage is less than 100, or you can charge between jobs.

Nah it's not one for me for my job. Maybe the company could get one as an advertising gimmick for the round town jobs only, but times are hard to spend that sort of money on a gimmick. Perhaps if the range ever gets near 200 miles it would be worthwhile. I am interested in the PlugIn Prius though.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links