Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Engine Noise Following Cam Belt Change ! Advice Please

Colin 74

I could really do with some advice please. LWB 02 Rav 4 TD 60,000 has just had its cambelt and waterpump changed by an independent garage.

Now, the top end (possibly) rattles when cold for approx 2-3 miles, at around the 2000 rev mark and beyond.

At higher revs when hot it still can be heard if you know what your hearing for.

The garage have had it back and said they think it is a lazy hydrolic tappit. They have treated the engine with concentrate and said it will probaly sort it out when it has been driven a while. I drove it most of the day yesterday but again this morning it sounds rough.

I do not have a grest deal of confidence that this is the correct diagnosis.

Has anyone any ideas as to what I should do...or what the cause may be.

We have had no problems with this rattle before the cambelt change.

Thanks

Colin

Hi Colin

Noises are always hard without the opportunity to listen to them but there are a couple of questions. Are you absolutely sure it is worse now than it was before? Noises often pop up after work has been done but inevitably people listen more and notice things under these circumstances.

Now assuming it is definitely noisier after the work, there is nothing that could normally cause it by changing the belt unless they have done something silly. Providing they timed the engine properly it should be OK but if for instance they turned the engine while the belt was off then they could have bent a valve. I doubt that changing the belt has provoked a lazy hydraulic tappet and in any case it should have cleared by now - providing it hasn't been neglegted at oil changes.

Its a difficult one but all I can advise is that you take it to another garage or the AA/RAC for a second opinion. The bottom line is that you are entitled to have it returned in the same condition you gave it to them and they are liable for putting it right.

Keeps us informed.

...but if for instance they turned the engine while the belt was off then they could have bent a valve.

Aren't all Toyota engines non-interference, or have I dreamt that one up?

Hi Colin

Noises are always hard without the opportunity to listen to them but there are a couple of questions. Are you absolutely sure it is worse now than it was before? Noises often pop up after work has been done but inevitably people listen more and notice things under these circumstances.

Now assuming it is definitely noisier after the work, there is nothing that could normally cause it by changing the belt unless they have done something silly. Providing they timed the engine properly it should be OK but if for instance they turned the engine while the belt was off then they could have bent a valve. I doubt that changing the belt has provoked a lazy hydraulic tappet and in any case it should have cleared by now - providing it hasn't been neglegted at oil changes.

Its a difficult one but all I can advise is that you take it to another garage or the AA/RAC for a second opinion. The bottom line is that you are entitled to have it returned in the same condition you gave it to them and they are liable for putting it right.

Keeps us informed.

Thanks for the reply.

The noise is definately new...it sounds like several nuts in a jam jar being shaken.

My suspicions were first aroused when they took along time to do the job...5 days.

You mentined a bent valve, would that make a noise which would quieten when hot...or would that noise be consistent?

I'm glad to hear your views regarding the tappet, I'm concerned as the garage seem to be playing it down, comments like 'sometimes cars make noises you have to put up with' to my wife do not help.

When I initially checked the car over I found the engine mount nut undone, 2 hoses tied back with cable ties and not the securing clamps fitted and the antilock module floating in thin air, unsecured.

This makes me think they may have done something silly.

Maybe they have bent a valve..are there other symptoms?

Thnaks again for your time

...but if for instance they turned the engine while the belt was off then they could have bent a valve.

I think that is wishful thinking. As far as I am aware this engine is not valve safe

I think that is wishful thinking. As far as I am aware this engine is not valve safe

Valves will be of the interference type, most diesels are :thumbsup:

The only noise I sometimes get when changing a new belt is a slight whine of the belt as it will inevitably be a bit tighter than the old one, but a new knocking sound? Definitely not.

unfortunately for your situation, I would have to agree with Anchorman ( and especially with what you have wrote), the garage seem to have done something wrong, I would get it into another garage pronto as it seems like something could be seriously amiss there :unsure:

post-30983-12716071604_thumb.jpg

The timing belt book says it is an interferance engine (see attachment).

The symptoms regarding a bent valve might be a slight misfire and because it sticks, a pronounced tappet noise. It might ease with temperature as things expand and the valve is allowed to close. Of course it will soon burn the valve seat out if this is the case. It sounds like a cobble up with your account of things and quite why they had it 5 days is a mystery - the book says 2.5 hours for different models so even if we say 3 for a RAV, something went wrong.

I think I would phone them and tell them you have taken advice and you suspect some fundamental damage. Call their bluff a bit and say Trading Standards are awaiting their response. You could try a second opinion and is some ways do you really want them to pull it apart? They did enough damage last time!

The best result would be a signifacant refund toward a decent garage sorting it out.

post-30983-12716071604_thumb.jpg

The timing belt book says it is an interferance engine (see attachment).

The symptoms regarding a bent valve might be a slight misfire and because it sticks, a pronounced tappet noise. It might ease with temperature as things expand and the valve is allowed to close. Of course it will soon burn the valve seat out if this is the case. It sounds like a cobble up with your account of things and quite why they had it 5 days is a mystery - the book says 2.5 hours for different models so even if we say 3 for a RAV, something went wrong.

I think I would phone them and tell them you have taken advice and you suspect some fundamental damage. Call their bluff a bit and say Trading Standards are awaiting their response. You could try a second opinion and is some ways do you really want them to pull it apart? They did enough damage last time!

The best result would be a signifacant refund toward a decent garage sorting it out.

Thanks for the advice...sounds like I am in for a bit of agro tomorrow

i feel sorry for you as when i read about this kind of garages it makes me :censor:

i know not everybody can sort out their own vehicles but i'm not going to garages any more and do everything my self.

i did a cam / balancer belt / crank pulley / all aux belts change on my own truck my self so i know what i'm talking about. it took me a long time as i was still recovering from an operation and only worked for a couple hours a day. but a garage 5 days for something i can do in halve a day :eek:

anyhow good luck and keep your feet down!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links