Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Buying An Old Diesel

shmuface

Alright everyone, this is my first post so every response and any information will be greatly appreciated.

I am looking to drive around europe this summer and wanted to buy myself the cheapest and most reliable car i could on a very tight budget. The car i am looking at is a 1999 2.0L turbo diesel Avensis GS, the body work is in poor condition but have been told the engine is very good, it has done about 110,000 miles has 6 months ticket and 2 months tax.

When i take it for a test drive is there anything that i need to look out for?

Will this car be happy doing 3,500 miles in the middle of a european summer?

If i do buy it, what should i do to the car before i go to help unsure it gets me home?

for this car with very poor body work, what would be a reasonable price?

thanks in advance and as stated before, any information would be great.

To answer a question like that you`d better find someone with a crystal ball ! :lol:

Realistically the car will need major service if nowt else.

• Like 1

Alright everyone, this is my first post so every response and any information will be greatly appreciated.

I am looking to drive around europe this summer and wanted to buy myself the cheapest and most reliable car i could on a very tight budget. The car i am looking at is a 1999 2.0L turbo diesel Avensis GS, the body work is in poor condition but have been told the engine is very good, it has done about 110,000 miles has 6 months ticket and 2 months tax.

When i take it for a test drive is there anything that i need to look out for?

If i do buy it, what should i do to the car before i go to help unsure it gets me home?

for this car with very poor body work, what would be a reasonable price?

thanks in advance and as stated before, any information would be great.

According to the milage and the year the vehicle has roughly done 11,000 a year. Has it been owned by an elderly person who did not care about cleaning it or has it had several owners, i go on the impression that if a car looks rough then its been neglected in all aspects.

When you looked at the vehicle you must have formed an opinion on it and i doubt any of the members here could really say that the vehicle will last the milage you are aking of it without some problems be them minor or otherwiuse.

As for prices i would look them up on the internet "parkers" or some other type of price guide that is available.

Sorry rather than "Will this car be happy doing 3,500 miles in the middle of a european summer?"

i should have asked, How reliable were the avensis of this era? typically would one be happy doing 3,500 miles in the middle of a european summer?

Hmm... I see Turbo, Diesel, 11 years old, badly neglected body work, unknown service history, previous owners and overall technical state ...

I would be reluctant to drive it to the supermarket, let alone risk my holidays/life in it.

Does it actually brake?

There are some mighty mountain ranges on your planned route. :unsure:

Be carefull.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links