Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Engine Oil For 01 Yaris?

ItalianStig

hey guys, I think I made an ealier post a few months back asking this question but cant find it now, what engine oil is it I need for my 1liter 2001 vvTi yaris?

cheers guys

I take no chances and buy a fully synthetic oil. After all, the engine is the most important (and expensive) part of a car and should be well taken care of. I used Castrol Edge but am going to give Silkolene from Opie Oils a go as I’m told it’s the best.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-60169-silkolene-pro-s-5w-30-ester-synthetic-oil-for-high-performance-engines.aspx

A little pricy but a new engine is even costlier! Never scrimp on engine oil and essential lubricants and parts.

semi synthetic 5-30W is recommended grade.

Toyota sell their own...

A fully synthetic oil is NOT recommended and is an expensive luxury unless of course you believe Toyota are wrong and ...

• Like 1

I agree with the fully synth being a bit ott... semi should suffice on a standard engine.. just make sure it's a good quality brand.

There was a post about this a while ago and I was chatting to oilman about it. He, a couple other members and I all agreed that semi-synthetic oil is a waste of time as the mineral oil compounds will break down under high heat and have a very short life cycle. According to another member “fully synthetic doesn’t degrade over time, so it will offer the same level of protection right up to the next service.”

I recommend you look on Opie Oils, read the articles, contact the oil man and their customer services division and they’ll be able to offer you a much more in depth explanation of which oils and why.

Of course it isn’t recommended. I never said that. I was simply stating that the engine is the most important part of a car and you shouldn’t scrimp where oil is concerned. The oil that I am buying from Opie Oils, Silkolene costs about £45.00. Agreed fully synthetic oil may be considered as overkill by some as its only really needed in high performance and high stress engines but what is the harm in using it and making sure your engine is well taken care of? In the light of the amount of miles one does between services is that really a lot of money? One can also be confident that their engine components are well lubricated and taken care of.

I hope my two pence worth helps mate.

He, a couple other members and I all agreed that semi-synthetic oil is a waste of time as the mineral oil compounds will break down under high heat and have a very short life cycle. According to another member “fully synthetic doesn’t degrade over time, so it will offer the same level of protection right up to the next service.”

So, Ford and Toyota both recommend oils which have the potential to seriously damage their engines due to " th very short life" of semi synthetic oils -which they recommend and use.

Must be why their engines are only good for 200k miles... :-)

Whilst I fully agree synthetic oils last much longer than semi synthetic ones- especially in arduous conditions - changing oil at 10k miles or annually - which is what Toyota recommend - is perfectly OK for normal use.... In the last 20 years I have driven over 250,000 miles - almost all on semi synthetic oils - and seen basically zero engine wear in a variety of cars.. Clutches, air con, radiators, belts have all failed but engine lubrication problems? None.

Says it all.

5w 30 is the oil to use, yes fully synthetic oil is better than semi, HOWEVER it is more than capable of lasting the duration between service intervals. Don't be conned by the marketing hype 5w 30 semi is perfectly acceptable

Kingo :thumbsup:

well without hijacking the thread, but iam just after changing the oil in the womans vitz and used semi 10w 40, will this affect the life of the engine or profermance ?

i know/asume it will be grand untill the next service and will use 5w 30 in future but what difference is there ?

Last oil change i though i'd try some Castrol Edge fully snyth, noticed instantly that the cam-chain sounded more rattly than with the old oil. :unsure:

After approx 2,000 miles, the rattle has gone and the car does seem to be smoother than before the oil change (the oil i changed prior to the Castrol was not that dirty either).

Mine gets used for very short runs doing the school trip sometimes and 90% town driving stop/start so i needed the extra protection of fully synth.

Semi snyth is fine tho, i've used it in high performance bike engines for years without any issues whatsoever and it gets used in my Honda Accord every service. :)

well without hijacking the thread, but iam just after changing the oil in the womans vitz and used semi 10w 40, will this affect the life of the engine or profermance ?

i know/asume it will be grand untill the next service and will use 5w 30 in future but what difference is there ?

10-40 IS a recommended oil grade - but not the preferred one -but it is less easy flowing so in winter cold starts will be more difficult due to extra drag (10 versus 5W) but for summer use you should see little difference.

I changed my Yaris diesel from 10-40 to 5-30 (both are recommended) and for all practical purposes there is no measurable difference. The petrol engines are, however, designed to run on 5-30 as standard in the UK. In the very long run, it is conceivable you could see esxra wear on valve gear due to less than ideal cold start lubrication but we are talking years and years of usage.. imo.

Car manufacturers offer oil that is cost effective. I personally want the very best for my car so I go for fully synthetic even though it is a little more costly and over the top. From what I’ve been told and read, I’ve made the choice to go for synthetic oil. Have a look on Opie Oils and read all the articles on there and by the oil man and then let me know what you think.

On the subject of oil, how much can a 1ltr Yaris engine hold? I've scanned my manual and can't seem to find it anywhere. Also, how much coolant can it hold and gear box oil too?

Car manufacturers offer oil that is cost effective. I personally want the very best for my car so I go for fully synthetic

I think you are going "The other way" and believing the hype from the oil sellers... Who make more money, selling dearer oil!

The manufacturer would absolutely NOT tell you to use a substandard oil, only to have thousands of angry customers coming back to demand a new engine as they are being worn out prematurely by bad lubrication!!! Look how they got stung over just a sticking accelerator pedal!

Modern engines need a modern oil but semi is just that..... leave the fully synth to the racers, performance vehicles and those who have money to burn. it would be better economically, (Wear and tear, as well as direct cost) to change semi synth, at 5 thou intervals, then fully synth at 10 thou as many motorcyclists do.

True, you do have a point there. I use fully synthetic and usually change it at ten thousand miles. Pushed it a little recently and am having it serviced soon after 15,000. Maybe thats why my engine malfunction light has suddenly come on?

Not being a snob and bought some Havoline Energy 5w/30 for £8.50 for 5ltrs and it does the job it was half price and can be changed at earlier intervals with the savings made and is not the usual supermarket rubbish. Whether its fully synthetic or not really for the price its good for a 10 year old car and will not hurt it.

But this coming from someone who run a rover for 5 years without an oil change may not be good advice, it still ran like a good one though :D

I love my little baby... I want only the best for her regardless of her age :(

I love my little baby... I want only the best for her regardless of her age :(

Is that why TWO posts up you said:

Pushed it a little recently and am having it serviced soon after 15,000.

That is 5000 miles too many for a car that you love :(

I know its awful of me but due to circumstances its been dificult up until recently to get the money together to take loving care of her. Will do next week though ;)

I personally think there are no bad modern engine oils. You don't here of any car engines failing due to the oil being of poor quality. Most modern engines will outlast the rest of car if maintained correctly in accordance with the manufacturers procedures.

There is nothing wrong in using expensive fully synthetic oils like Castrol Edge 5W-30, if your budget allows. However, it may be a bit OTT in a Yaris as others have pointed out. Castrol Edge 5W-30 for example has the Audi/VW Group approvals for long life servicing (up to 2 years) and is supposed to be one of the best truely fully synthetic oils made from group four base stocks. I use it in my 415 bhp 4.2 litre V8 Audi RS4 which gets extremely hot when driven hard.

I use Mobil 1 0W-40 fully synthetic oil in my Yaris D4D, as I can buy 4 litres for a very reasonable twenty five pounds from Costco. I know it does not fully conform with the recommended grade of 10W-40. However, I use it as I cover 600 motorway miles per week and both the 0W-40 and 10W-40 oil viscosities converge at the upper temperature point. The 0W-40 grade should also get round the engine better under a cold winter start.

Just one point to note: When I first bought the car second hand at 40k miles, I had to clean the throttle body which was gummed up with oil. The car had a fully stamped up Toyota service log book and would have been serviced with Toyota's semi synthetic oil. I have done 60k more miles in the car, using Mobil 1 0W-40 at the service intervals, and the problem has not re-occured. Maybe because the fully synthetic grade of oil is less volatile?

It seems that a lot of people have different views on the subject of engine oils. I try to play it safe by getting a reputable brand of fully synthetic that most people agree is pretty good.

There was a thread about car oil earlier this year (or maybe last) and I was having a good chat with Opie Oils a.k.a. the oilman who put me straight on more than one occasion. According to him you have to be careful where synthetics are concerned because there are varying qualities and due to marketing and advertising some synthetic oils are not quite so. Tricky business! This year I’m trying some Silkolene synthetic engine oil which is made from “esters” and that’s supposed to be top notch stuff as far as synthetic motor oil is concerned. I’m also putting some Silkolene synthetic gear oil in the gear box as well.

When I first bought my Yaris last year it had about 49k on the clock. I’ve since done another 25k. Unfortunately upon close inspection there were few stamps in the service history paperwork, were far between and didn’t provide any information as to what was done. Thus seeing as its ten years old now I’m doing everything according to the book (Haynes Manual anyway) and having all the liquids changed and for it to have a thorough going over. I also want it to have the best of the best in the hope that it will lessen the damage that may have been caused, if any.

My Missus bought a Honda CRV from carcontacts (big car supermarket) which was supposedly “RAC inspected”. As it turned out it had no coolant in the engine (the unit was a sealed one and had been tampered with), no oil in the engine, something was seriously wrong with the brakes and wheels also. Pretty scary stuff but fortunately it never let her down for the duration she had it. Unfortunately it was in and out of the mechanics more times than… [you know what I mean!]

It just goes to show doesn’t it? As a result I like to take my car to a garage where they don’t mind me having a look at what’s being done and how. I can also make sure that they’re using the parts I provided!

According to Wiki “Synthetic oil is used as a substitute for lubricant refined from petroleum when operating in extremes of temperature, because it generally provides superior mechanical and chemical properties than those found in traditional mineral oils.”

Perhaps the oil in the gearbox wasn’t able to withstand prolonged use and heat temperatures?

Oil is a really tricky one. There are so many available for all kinds of budgets and may people assume that you are paying for the name or it's overkill for the car. A better oil is a better oil, if it's giving better protection, surely that can only be a good thing. There are all kinds of qualities on the market, but if the car is worth a bit, why not look after it? You don't have to go OTT, but we do a couple of decent synthetic oils for around £25, so half the cost of a tank of fuel to give good protection for a year. Toyota probably charge £25 in a service for bog standard semi synthetics, so take your own along. Yaris's generally don't have the hard life of certain other cars, so a mid range oil like those £25 ones is ideal.

Bare in mind, many oils are designed for a hard life and an early change... Not a fairly easy life but long intervals of useage.

Age will affect the oil, as will the forces placed on it. The shear factor is more important in high-stress engines than in de-tuned or "Normal" engines. Also, overfilling of the oil can ***** an engine, whether you use supermarket own brand or the stuff formula 1 cars use! It can be better to slightly undrfill, then to overfill, thinking it may be a better bet!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links