Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

The Compassionate Society...

Raistlin

article-1280887-09BB9389000005DC-416_468x362.jpg

Shoppers walked past a dying man as he lay helpless on the pavement.

The man, in his 50s, was slumped outside a busy row of shops in Eastfield Road, Peterborough, for nearly two hours before someone finally came to his aid.

A passer-by eventually dialled 999 after approaching the man to see if he needed help.

Good Samaritan Tony Poll said he felt disgusted that the man had been left there for so long and blasted shoppers for having 'no regard for human life'.

Mr Poll said: 'Even as I stopped to help, people were saying leave him he is just drunk, but I thought I have seen drunk people before and this man is in trouble.'

When he got closer he noticed the man's face was discoloured and he was not breathing. He immediately alerted emergency services.

He added 'No-one cared, someone should have been able to save him or just make a simple call.

'I am disgusted, I really am and my heart goes out to his family.'

Mr Poll had originally feared that the man, who police are trying to identify, had been the victim of a crime so tried not to disturb the scene as he desperately felt for signs of life.

He said people in the area told him the stricken man had been lying on the pavement last Friday afternoon for 'about two hours'.

And he also praised ambulance workers who valiantly worked for more than half-an-hour to try to revive the stricken man

He said: 'I have never seen anything like it, they really fought to save him but it was too late.

'I wasn't sure if he had been attacked at first and hit, so I tried not to move him too much.

'I knew he was dead when I stopped and I honestly believe if someone had rung earlier it would be a different story.'

A spokeswoman for Cambridgeshire Police said they were not treating the death as suspicious.

Police also confirmed they had yet to identify the deceased but officers would be making inquiries to track down and notify his family.

Local councillor Marion Todd said she was 'appalled' at some passers-by for failing the man but said in this day and age it was sadly 'not a surprise'.

She said: 'This news just shows us the society we live in. People just seem to ignore everything that is going on around them.

'This is just completely awful, my heart goes out to this poor man's family.

'The fact that hundreds of people, because it is a really busy street, may have just walked past is terrible. Most people have a mobile phone these days, all they had to do was call the police at the very least, even if they thought he was just some drunk.

'But to leave him to die, I am appalled, I really am.'

Councillor Stephen Goldspink said his wife had been in the Eastfield Post Office and someone told her the man had asked for help in the area earlier after complaining of chest pains.

He added: 'That something like this can happen.

'People have been talking about what happened in the area and I think many are shocked. It really is dreadful.'

Do we care anymore or are we all too busy with our own lives to see the distress happening around us ?

This case reminds me of when i was just an 8 year old kid , my brother and i were on our way to the sweet shop just around the corner from our house , as we turned the corner there was an elderly man lying in the middle of the pavement and people were literally stepping over him and walking on without even a glance , i was just a kid and was not sure what to do , my brother was only six , however i knelt beside him and he murmured to us to help him up , he was small and practically skin and bone so we had little trouble in helping him up , we stood either side of him and he lent on us for support then we walked him slowly back as he directed us to his home , it turned out that he lived on the same estate as us , when we got to his house he told us to knock on the door and was greeted by his carer , she asked where we had found him and thanked us for bringing him home and asked where we lived , we went home and told our mum what had happened , later that evening there was a knock on our front door , my mum answered to find the police standing there , they explained that the old man had passed away then asked us a few questions as to where we had found him then thanked us for helping the old man and told our mum that she should be proud of us .

So the case you have highlighted Raist is nothing new it happened when i was a kid and i have seen it since many times-over where someone has collapsed on the pavement and people stepping over the body and walking on without a care , its a sad indictment of society as a whole , too few people give a sh-it , however there are a few of us that actually do , but too few and far between . :(

Just last week I was lying incapacitated on my conservatory couch and no-one - yes! no-one bothered to ask if I was ok.

Often it the people closest to you that are the worst. So I gave my 91 year old father a hell weekend by turning off the heating!

Everyone is too busy minding their own business, nowadays.

The world has become too large & impersonal. Back a couple of hundred years ago, when towns were smaller & villages were predominant, everyone knew each other & to a large extent , took care of each other.

Progress isn't always for the better :(

The world has become too large & impersonal. Back a couple of hundred years ago, when towns were smaller & villages were predominant, everyone knew each other & to a large extent , took care of each other.

Progress isn't always for the better sad.gif

The whole of Ireland knows you Biz...

That's why your no longer the lollypop man censored.gif

& I couldn't fathom my lack of success :( Do you know a good Plastic Surgeon.... or even one of flesh & blood ? :D

& I couldn't fathom my lack of success sad.gif Do you know a good Plastic Surgeon.... or even one of flesh & blood ? biggrin.gif

laugh.gifbiggrin.gifwink.gif , where's the boy tonight ?

& I couldn't fathom my lack of success sad.gif Do you know a good Plastic Surgeon.... or even one of flesh & blood ? biggrin.gif

Don't quite get that :unsure: But the "boy" with the grey hair & finely groomed beard is at home, alone :crybaby: swopping banter in the best session we have had in ages :thumbsup:

Don't quite get that unsure.gif But the "boy" with the grey hair & finely groomed beard is at home, alone crybaby.gif swopping banter in the best session we have had in ages thumbsup.gif

I meant KP, you are far too worldly to have the boy tag :D

Don't quite get that unsure.gif But the "boy" with the grey hair & finely groomed beard is at home, alone crybaby.gif swopping banter in the best session we have had in ages thumbsup.gif

I meant KP, you are far too worldly to have the boy tag :D

Thanks :thumbsup: Very delicately put :lol: Kynan should be beddy byes at that hour, tucked up with his Teddy Bear, { female :eek: } :laughing:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links