Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

T Sport - Notchy Gearbox

Chopsy

Hi All.

I have a 01 TSport which I've had for the last five years or so.

1st and 2nd have always been a little notchy and sometimes going

from 5th to 4th gets a little sticky.

Is there any solution to resolving such symptoms, like a gearbox

oil change to higher grade oil (ATF)?

Cheers.

Hi Chopsy,

Worth reviewing nrgizerbunny's gearbox oil change guide here - it's based on the Corolla T Sport but might be worth a look. Someone else can probably confirm how similar/relevant it is for the Yaris. When you say going from 5th to 4th gets a bit sticky does it resist physically engaging the gear stick into gear?

Your not alone on the notchy gearbox issues. My SR does it when it's cold, 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 1st when stopping is worse. The car is fine after 10mins or so though.

Mine's due a gearbox oil change, I'm convinced it will be better after that....Just another job to do then. :rolleyes:

I changed my gearbox oil at 40k miles: fully synthetic Titan gear oil.

1 to 2 was slightly notchy before the change when cold. A little better afterwards.

I've got the same oil for my gear box. Need to buy another litre though! Only bought one. Doh!

Hi Chopsy,

Worth reviewing nrgizerbunny's gearbox oil change guide here - it's based on the Corolla T Sport but might be worth a look. Someone else can probably confirm how similar/relevant it is for the Yaris. When you say going from 5th to 4th gets a bit sticky does it resist physically engaging the gear stick into gear?

Hi,

Thanks for the link, the car is on 60k now, so I suspect it's long overdue for a gearbox oil change.

I adjusted the mat now so I have slight more pedal travel for the clutch and that seemed to help.

Going from 5th to 4th - it can resist at high speeds (motorway), which can be worrying sometimes when

you want to engine brake approaching a bend. I always though it was a quirk of the car...I'd like to

know if it is?

Hi,

Thanks for the link, the car is on 60k now, so I suspect it's long overdue for a gearbox oil change.

I adjusted the mat now so I have slight more pedal travel for the clutch and that seemed to help.

Going from 5th to 4th - it can resist at high speeds (motorway), which can be worrying sometimes when

you want to engine brake approaching a bend. I always though it was a quirk of the car...I'd like to

know if it is?

I assume you blip the throttle a little when downshifting at motorway speeds? I myself haven't had a problem with this change. It's always 2nd gear which is notchy which I have accepted isn't likely to ever completely go away.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

know if it is?

I assume you blip the throttle a little when downshifting at motorway speeds? I myself haven't had a problem with this change. It's always 2nd gear which is notchy which I have accepted isn't likely to ever completely go away.

Umm, I think sometimes I may blip the throttle when I need a fast gear change..so it could be that - good point.

I like the notchy gear box, the clutch needs to be pressed all the way. However the "fix" is here http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=63515http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=63515

Many thanks for the link, I'll have to give this a try. :)

• 11 years later...
On 6/8/2010 at 8:53 PM, Johan007 said:

I like the notchy gear box, the clutch needs to be pressed all the way. However the "fix" is here http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=63515http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=63515

Old thread revival - any idea where this thread is or how to find it?  Is this the '24mm washer' solution under the airbox?

Thanks

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links