Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Uk Scrambles To Keep 'dozen Eggs' In Eu Battle

Raistlin

_48198057_eggsbbc.jpg

UK officials say they will defend food producers' right to label groceries by number, amid fears that the EU may consign "a dozen" eggs to history.

Efforts to standardise food labels across the 27-nation EU have gained momentum with new draft legislation going through the European Parliament.

MEPs backed labels indicating weight or volume, but rejected labels that just show the number of items in a pack.

A UK minister said the EU should allow shoppers to "buy eggs by the dozen".

"We know what customers want. They want to buy eggs by the dozen and they should be allowed to - a point I shall be making clear to our partners in Europe," said UK Environment Secretary Caroline Spelman.

Conservative MEP Syed Kamall warned that "millions of pounds could be wasted by shops and bakers having to change packaging just to comply" with the new legislation.

Too many cooks ? EU countries currently have exemptions allowing some pre-packed foods to be labelled by number alone - for example, a dozen eggs or four bread rolls.

The UK online trade magazine The Grocer warned that the legislation "could even see special unit-based promotional packs offering 'eight chocolate bars for the price of six' banned".

Earlier this month MEPs adopted numerous amendments to the new European Commission directive on food labelling.

The legislation will now be considered by EU government ministers before a second reading in the parliament. Agreement on a final text could be reached by the end of this year.

The Labour Party leader in the parliament, Glenis Willmott MEP, voiced regret that in its current form the legislation would not allow some products to be sold simply by number.

The parliament rejected an amendment which said: "In the case of foodstuffs normally sold by number, member states need not require indication of the net quantity provided that the number of items can be clearly seen and easily counted from the outside or, if not, is indicated on the labelling".

National traditions

The UK Federation of Bakers says selling baked goods by measuring and not number would require bakeries to spend large sums on new weighing equipment. It says customers understand that "no two rolls are the same".

But Ms Willmott said the draft did not explicitly rule out selling groceries by number, and added: "We fully expect the exemption to be in the final version".

A Danish MEP closely involved in the negotiations, Christel Schaldemose, also defended the current national exemptions.

"We still have different cultures for food in Europe - we should allow member states to do something specific," she said.

Labels showing both weight and number would be the best solution, she told the BBC.

Another "problematic" area is the definition of a "portion", she said. When Danish shoppers were asked to define a portion of cornflakes, she said, none of their guesses matched Kellogg's 30g portion.

"A portion needs to be scientifically based - there is a risk of misleading consumers," she said.

We used to have an Alterations service in my Dry Cleaning business, & up until I left, a couple of years ago, Customers would request that their garment be altered in inches or fractions thereof. If they gave the measurement in centimetres,[very rarely] we would have to underline & stress it. Mistakes were costly :(

Somewhere is 2 miles away ? Right :thumbsup: If it is 5km away..... haven't a clue :unsure:

Litres & kilograms ? Likewise. But it's a good job Petrol is priced by the Litre, coz if it was by the Gallon, nobody would be driving :o

"

Efforts to standardise food labels across the 27-nation EU have gained momentum with new draft legislation going through the European Parliament."

Surely a Typo ! :o Draft should have been Daft :lol:

It's good to see you've embraced the European ethic... biggrin.gif

I find this Story eggstraordinarily inedible , the Eu are cooking up a fuss over nothing again , why do we in britain always have to tread on eggshells when dealing with those stir crazy rotten egg bureaucrats from the EU , their over egging their powers if you ask me .

An Oeuf's an Oeuf with these puns..

:yes:

It's good to see you've embraced the European ethic... biggrin.gif

In the broad perspective, Yes! :lol: I think we do need a United States of Europe. But there should be liberty for the foibles of individual Nations, & those of the UK & Ireland are similar.......Pints of Beer, Dozens of eggs, Cadburys Chocolate, which the EU said wasn't Chocolate, bendy Bananas, misshapen tomatoes etc. I could continue, ad nauseam.

At home, on our farm, we used to be able to make our own butter, & sell it to the shops together with any surplus eggs. No body died, that I've heard of :eat: Now .... Verboten :nono:

my cousin married into the family who are the EECs largest egg producer. No not the largest egg...but the largest number of eggs being produced. The farm is just in wales I believe...nice family.

However the Scotch egg doesn't seem to get a mention then waht about the easter egg??

Gies a bottle o buckie..... if changed to please may I buy a 750ml bottle of English produced fortified Buckfast wine .. would lead to Scotlands aclohol problem being solved overnight. By the time they stammered thru that lot, its time to jump off a bridge - which just unerpins Scotlands reputation as having a massive suicide problem. Howvere following the fottball world cup, we expect that problem to be overtaken by the english suicide rate.... if they can find a bridge to jump... bit like finding a goal :shutit: :shutit: :wacko: :wacko:

my cousin married into the family who are the EECs largest egg producer. No not the largest egg...but the largest number of eggs being produced. The farm is just in wales I believe...nice family.

However the Scotch egg doesn't seem to get a mention then waht about the easter egg??

Gies a bottle o buckie..... if changed to please may I buy a 750ml bottle of English produced fortified Buckfast wine .. would lead to Scotlands aclohol problem being solved overnight. By the time they stammered thru that lot, its time to jump off a bridge - which just unerpins Scotlands reputation as having a massive suicide problem. Howvere following the fottball world cup, we expect that problem to be overtaken by the english suicide rate.... if they can find a bridge to jump... bit like finding a goal shutup.gifshutup.gifwacko.gifwacko.gif

Even if they could find a bridge and jumped, the England team would have probably missed the water...

see- there we go again - lack of training. Bridge jumping involves skill and decision making.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links