Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Real Time Traffic Information - GR Sport

Maxrob

Another one from me about the new car - really disappointed with the RTTI compared to the display on our previous Dynamic Premium.  Can't see anywhere advanced warning of hold ups, the reason for the delay and how long the delay is projected to be, all of which we got on the Dynamic Premium display.  I wrote to Toyota and they replied:

Real time traffic is still available on your Multimedia 21 unit, layout is different compared to multimedia 19 unit you had in previous Rav4.

All traffic information is now visible on the map itself rather than drop down box, also instead of seeing information for all roads, this is updated as you travel round and become visible on the screen by selecting that road traffic event. I.e, road works with flow showing up as amber or red against road.

Please see below information from owners manuals:

Pastedimage.thumb.png.c17b6aa487b55b8b003167f5ed20d4c8.png

More information regarding map software update message from multimedia unit when selected. This appears as file is not detected by USB flash drive. We have asked Toyota Europe for the message to change as its very misleading. 

Multimedia unit installed with active services connected, it will behave as a 'hybrid' nav system and the map will refresh x24 a year automatically. This occurs in the background without any input from the customer / user, you may only notice 'update settings' appear on screen at times.

Map updates via USB flash drive can only be performed by your local Toyota centre, not available on eStore.

Anyone got any ideas? Am I doing something wrong again?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

On 5/13/2024 at 5:52 PM, Maxrob said:

Another one from me about the new car - really disappointed with the RTTI compared to the display on our previous Dynamic Premium.  Can't see anywhere advanced warning of hold ups, the reason for the delay and how long the delay is projected to be, all of which we got on the Dynamic Premium display.  I wrote to Toyota and they replied:

Real time traffic is still available on your Multimedia 21 unit, layout is different compared to multimedia 19 unit you had in previous Rav4.

All traffic information is now visible on the map itself rather than drop down box, also instead of seeing information for all roads, this is updated as you travel round and become visible on the screen by selecting that road traffic event. I.e, road works with flow showing up as amber or red against road.

Please see below information from owners manuals:

Pastedimage.thumb.png.c17b6aa487b55b8b003167f5ed20d4c8.png

More information regarding map software update message from multimedia unit when selected. This appears as file is not detected by USB flash drive. We have asked Toyota Europe for the message to change as its very misleading. 

Multimedia unit installed with active services connected, it will behave as a 'hybrid' nav system and the map will refresh x24 a year automatically. This occurs in the background without any input from the customer / user, you may only notice 'update settings' appear on screen at times.

Map updates via USB flash drive can only be performed by your local Toyota centre, not available on eStore.

Anyone got any ideas? Am I doing something wrong again?

Same here -

Just done a 200 mile trip to Southampton and then back a week later and could not get ‘live’ traffic updates !

Really disappointed, or am I missing something ?.

Thanks 👍

• Like 1

I know nothing about the ‘24 model but were you following a programmed route or just looking at the display as you drove along. Some systems only provide this type of information if navigating a route?

• Like 1

I think I'll be sticking to Waze on AA!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ernieb said:

I know nothing about the ‘24 model but were you following a programmed route or just looking at the display as you drove along. Some systems only provide this type of information if navigating a route?

Thanks for the reply -

Following a programmed route both times.

On the way down we were stuck in traffic for 30 mins and nothing showed.

Then on the way back the A34 was closed and again nothing, plus the M6 near home had the overhead signs showing 40 min delays - nothing on the sat nav ??

• Sad 1

Something should show on the map display I think, even if you haven't put a route in - coming up to a jam should show red on the road which you can touch and it comes up with a bit of information, I'm pretty sure.  Back to the salesperson I think!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Maxrob said:

Something should show on the map display I think, even if you haven't put a route in - coming up to a jam should show ...

I don't think so - unless the car knows your intended route, I don't think it can or should show random 'hold-ups' that may or may not be in your way.

But it certainly should show hold-ups on your planned route and potential alternatives ...

You will need an appropriate subscription to a traffic service. In the earlier system (i.e. my car) that is provided by INRIXTRAFFIC and delivered via FM radio - imperfect but it works. I believe that one can also specify use of a connected smartphone data service as well / instead - but that must be switched on.

I might assume (which is dangerous) that Toyota will continue to use INRIX data but deliver the information as a Toyota cloud-based connected service. But there is a risk that they rely on just information from connected Toyotas - which won't work so well, particularly as more and more folk rely on AA / ACP services ...

As far as I know, based on our Yaris which has the newer connected system, it works very similar to a smartphone app and pulls in the traffic info via the built in 4G SIM. It does show traffic conditions on the map regardless of whether you have a route planned or not, just like Google maps.

I'm not sure what the source of the traffic data is but I don't find it that reliable and often delayed. (PS. If it not displaying anything, it can be toggled on or off in the menu settings, so if that's the problem, check that first). Whether that's a source issue, or communication delivery, I don't know, but the inbuilt SIM has it's own signal strength indicator on the display (as well as the signal type and strength of a connected phone), and coverage is usually very good. It could be delivered to Toyota servers and pushed out to the cars, in which case we know that isn't always great from use of the My Toyota app. Also, we lost speed cameras a while ago and no degree of toggling settings or updates have been able to get them back. It's probably a need to factory reset and relink to the profile.

One thing I don't understand, is I see many newer RAV4 owners say the new multimedia system has wireless ACP but not wireless AA. Our Yaris (which we got before the new RAV was released) has wireless for both.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nlee said:

As far as I know, based on our Yaris which has the newer connected system, it works very similar to a smartphone app and pulls in the traffic info via the built in 4G SIM. It does show traffic conditions on the map regardless of whether you have a route planned or not, just like Google maps.

I'm not sure what the source of the traffic data is but I don't find it that reliable and often delayed. (PS. If it not displaying anything, it can be toggled on or off in the menu settings, so if that's the problem, check that first). Whether that's a source issue, or communication delivery, I don't know, but the inbuilt SIM has it's own signal strength indicator on the display (as well as the signal type and strength of a connected phone), and coverage is usually very good. It could be delivered to Toyota servers and pushed out to the cars, in which case we know that isn't always great from use of the My Toyota app. Also, we lost speed cameras a while ago and no degree of toggling settings or updates have been able to get them back. It's probably a need to factory reset and relink to the profile.

One thing I don't understand, is I see many newer RAV4 owners say the new multimedia system has wireless ACP but not wireless AA. Our Yaris (which we got before the new RAV was released) has wireless for both.

Weird Toyota things going on. Yes, no wireless AA. But has wireless ACP. On the new R4P. I'm just going to buy a Motorola WiFi unit. But then again I quite like faster charging via the wired connection versus the induction pad. 

Any good satnav shows traffic info irrespective of putting a route in to counter @philip42h perspective. No reason why it shouldn't. It's a tiny difference in bandwidth to grab that information within a 10 or 20 mile radius. Few kB. 

The Motorola A1 if pretty good but bear in mind that on a long trip you'd need a  charged phone to start off. OK if the induction charging in the 'Sport' works then you'd be sorted.

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links