Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Cycle Carrier

the cheez

Hi folk's, new to the rav forums, one question ! does anyone know of a cycle rack to fit over the spare wheel (with or without hard cover on) that will not involve the use of tow bar eye, i was thinking of fabricating one out of 20mm conduit to mount it between the studs (studs as anchorage) in a "y" shaped pattern, or can anyone save me the trouble and point me in the right direction, i've found this forum to be most helpful as i recently had engine check light on, and after much reading of your forums i found that a lot of people had this as well, well before i take it to toyota dealer (to have the air bag fitted to my stomach to cushion the blow of cost) and get charged for retrieving the fault codes, on taking some advice from you folks, i bought an obd2 reader (quicklynks T40) and retrieved the codes myself (p1135) and that one exercise has given me piece of mind knowing that the engine is not going to fall out, so i joined the forums to contribute, sorry to waffle on, back to the rack......any help, thanks, cheez.

This is probably not the answer you want to hear, cheez, but we too had a bit of a problem when it came to transporting bicycles in/on our RAV4. We don't fancy carrying them on a towbar mounted rack, as it makes it impossible to open the rear door. Also, we tow a small caravan so need the towbar for that. Don't fancy hanging anything off the spare wheel as it's heavy enough as it is, or carrying two big bikes on the roof. We ended up buying two Dahon Cadenzas - full-size mountain/hybrid bikes which fold very neatly in half and we can get both into the boot with some room for luggage to spare. Brilliant bikes - once unfolded you would never know they were not 'ordinary' bikes. Not the cheapest of solutions, though...

This is probably not the answer you want to hear, cheez, but we too had a bit of a problem when it came to transporting bicycles in/on our RAV4. We don't fancy carrying them on a towbar mounted rack, as it makes it impossible to open the rear door. Also, we tow a small caravan so need the towbar for that. Don't fancy hanging anything off the spare wheel as it's heavy enough as it is, or carrying two big bikes on the roof. We ended up buying two Dahon Cadenzas - full-size mountain/hybrid bikes which fold very neatly in half and we can get both into the boot with some room for luggage to spare. Brilliant bikes - once unfolded you would never know they were not 'ordinary' bikes. Not the cheapest of solutions, though...

thank you very much for an informative answer, i to have had nothing but headaches trying to sort a cycle carrier out, i think im going to have to fabricate one, it's only for a single mountain bike, and it's superlight with superlight components, (10.8kg total weight) so that should not be to much of a problem stress wise on the mount, as you say, tow mount no good (door unable to open), dont fancy the roof option even though it has roof rails and i have toyota Roof Rack (black vx 2.0 5dr) i just dont get on with the feeling of the bike on top of me. when ive done the work i will post a piccy, who knows i may even make a few shekals making for others (wishful thinking, BUT there is obviously a gap in the market) once again, many thanks.

How much stress can be placed onto the rear wheel...Even though your bike is a feather weight.... Is there no doc's on what load the rear can take..taking into account the tyre weight as is now...

Before moving ahead with the cycle rack..Anch's in your vast Oracle of a knowledge base...is there nothing on this????

Is this the type of thingybob you are looking for,if not, it may be of some assistance in the fabrication of one

http://www.cyclelife.com/Range.aspx?pc=2&pt=61

spot on, that is the sort of thing am looking at making, but to try and take a fixing off the studs that hold the wheel, but nevertheless you where in the ball park, many thanks crofter.

How much stress can be placed onto the rear wheel...Even though your bike is a feather weight.... Is there no doc's on what load the rear can take..taking into account the tyre weight as is now...

Before moving ahead with the cycle rack..Anch's in your vast Oracle of a knowledge base...is there nothing on this????

first of,thanks for the reply, yes your right, i think the stress load would be to much on the wheel (some form of wrapping around with ratchet straps) that's why i thought of taking the fixing from the studs (may need to extend the studs/replace) as a more solid fixing, also to divert completely, i took my rav for mot on saturday and it flew through even with the MIL on (p1135) but they did point out a pin hole on the flange which connects back box with pipe, they stuck a bit of pudding over it and said "LAST ? how long is a piece of string, could be a year or three but due to corrosion it will need changing (back box fine-pipe fine, just the flange is the weak point, what im getting at is how much to replace back box and rear section of pipe up to manifold, also how difficult to change that front sensor (pre cat warmer i think) ive read that the 22mm can be a bit loose fitting and prone to strip the thread in the manifold, how true is this ! can i take it onboard myself, or do i have to get fleeced by currie motors again (toyota dealer) ANY help would be welcome. sorry i know its a long one, but man i bored, waiting for boilies to harden then offski, YOU KNOW. ps. ive got the haynes rav4 manual as a guide line, whoops THANKS CHATMAN

Edited by the cheez

I don`t think the wheel/tyre would give any problems considering the weight and stresses placed upon them in normal usage on the road.

Also when you consider that the spare wheel mount is not rigid but moves slightly with the flexing of the door panel/skin perhaps a light stiffening plate inside the door where the mount is secured,if this is possible,would help.

The wheel nuts on my motor are very deep and only threaded halfway down,if yours are the same have a look and see if you could cut the end off and thread it all the through and then screw bolts into them to mount your bike carrier.

Just my five pence worth (inflation) :lol::lol:

I don`t think the wheel/tyre would give any problems considering the weight and stresses placed upon them in normal usage on the road.

Also when you consider that the spare wheel mount is not rigid but moves slightly with the flexing of the door panel/skin perhaps a light stiffening plate inside the door where the mount is secured,if this is possible,would help.

The wheel nuts on my motor are very deep and only threaded halfway down,if yours are the same have a look and see if you could cut the end off and thread it all the through and then screw bolts into them to mount your bike carrier.

Just my five pence worth (inflation) :lol::lol:

once again your spot on, that is exactly what i was going to try, reinforced plate behind to stop the wheel and bike from flexing , great minds and all that, mucho mucho thanks crofter

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links