Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Speed Cameras Axed Over Funding

Raistlin

D35EC8FC96BB618B972F75D255DD.jpg

Every speed camera in an entire county looks set to disappear following central government funding cuts, it has been disclosed.

Oxfordshire County Council is cutting its funding to the Thames Valley Safer Roads Partnership by £600,000 in a bid to meet £11 million savings.

It has resulted in the partnership taking steps to cease all enforcement in the county and switch off its 72 fixed speed cameras, possibly as soon as August 1.

The Government said it was delivering its pledge to "end the war on the motorist" by following through its promise to end central funding for fixed speed cameras.

But road safety campaigners fear other councils struggling to make ends meet could follow suit, resulting in lives being put at risk.

Every week three people are killed and more than 150 are injured on roads in the Thames Valley, according to statistics from the partnership.

Councillor Keith Mitchell, leader of Conservative-led Oxfordshire County Council, said these were difficult choices but that the level of savings needed to be made were "unheard of".

He said on Sunday: "This is a controversial area. Swindon, for example, cut its speed cameras last year and they have not noticed any change in accidents.

This is just the very start, however. We are going to have to accept that over the next four years difficult decisions will continue to be made."

He added that the authority was not in a position to increase council tax bills and that other areas of council spending would be looked at.

Councillors at a special meeting will vote on whether to ratify the move to scrap the funding on Tuesday.

Ministers acknowledged that "difficult choices" must be made but they hoped councils would use available funds for other road safety measures.

A spokesman for the Oxfordshire County Council said " We have a lot of old Corolla drivers in the county so speeding is no longer an issue...

THe whole point of safety cameras is to reduce traffic speeds.

This they are very successful at doing. The problem is that a) the locals know where they are and B) they make a lot of money, and only reduce traffic speed at the site of the camera.

average speed cameras are much more effective.

HOWEVER..... If you don't speed, what the he'll... You don't have to worry about them!

Safety cameras can't stop 'tailgating, using a mobile whilst driving, road rage etc. The best way of controlling the appalling standard of driving in the UK is VISIBLE POLICING.... Get the buggers out of the station and onto the beat and onto the roads, spend the camera money on more bobbies.....

Better not tell Vic about that... eek.gif

Quite :ffs: You are in enough merde already :censor: I did read your original post through :bored::yawn: & found the veiled insult & ageist comment stuck in at the end :bangin:

I thought you would appreciate it :D

I thought you would appreciate it :D

I didn't :ffs: , but would have been mortally offended if you had forgotten to insult me :lol:

A spokesman for the Oxfordshire County Council said " We have a lot of old Corolla drivers in the county so speeding is no longer an issue...

:thumbsup::lol: :lol: :lol:

I never thought they worked anyway, that is, reduce drivers spped, it was just a money generating scheme IMHO. How did they work when everybody just hits the brakes until they have gone past and then speed up again?

Target some extra money to driver training and unmarked Police cars so true offenders can be prosecuted

Make them drive old Corolla's, no speed issues and the only accident would be if you slammed the door so hard that the rust fell off leaving no car behind... blink.gif

Make them drive old Corolla's, no speed issues and the only accident would be if you slammed the door so hard that the rust fell off leaving no car behind... blink.gif

Jealousy! Jealousy & it will get you nowhere <_< You are used to a use & dispose car :D You wouldn't know what it's like to have one that goes on for ever, @ 100+ mph, if called upon :driving:

They only way your car would do 100 mph is off the top of a tall cliff... biggrin.gif

The only way your car would do 100 mph is of the top of a tall cliff... :D

Again, Jealousy, Jealousy. :sick: I'll take a Phone Pic of my Speedometer & e-mail it to you. :thumbsup:

Even though I'll be done for speeding & using a mobile at the same time, :yes: it'll be worth it :clap:

PS> You don't have to thank me :) Spelling corrected as per usual :bored::yawn:

I'll take a Phone Pic of my Speedometer & e-mail it to you. :thumbsup:

Remind me.......Do Blackberrys take pictures? :lol:

Long before iPhones could, also with video and at better resolutions...

I'll take a Phone Pic of my Speedometer & e-mail it to you. :thumbsup:

Remind me.......Do Blackberrys take pictures? :lol:

I honestly wouldn't know, Kingo :D I have a bog {very apt) standard Nokia, which does texts, calls & photos & survives being dropped down the Bog. It wasn't flushed, mind you. That story has been posted twice already :yawn:

Who needs or wants a Blackberry? :g::laughing: It couldn't stick the pace :no:

Yeah, we heard you alway's Nokia one out... eek.gif

Heard wrong, so you did, so you did :wacko: Only the unlucky few, with you as a prime example , would have a mouth capacious enough to swallow one without chewing it, in the 1st place :yahoo:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links