Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Consumers Told To Shield Their Pins

Raistlin

FA18D8FD60E561EE596836F5BCCD1.jpg

Consumers have been urged to avoid becoming victims of fraud by shielding their personal identification number (pin) when they enter it into a cash machine.

ATM network Link said it had obtained video footage showing how criminals obtained consumers' pins at cash machines they had targeted.

It said the criminals attached a skimming device to the card entry slot on the machine, enabling them to copy all of the information held on a card's magnetic strip.

They also installed a miniature pinhole camera over the ATM's keypad to record people's pin as they typed it in.

But the group said the footage showed that if consumers took the simple step of shielding the keypad with their hand as they typed in their pin, the camera would not be able to film what their number was.

Cash machine fraud losses totalled £36.7 million in 2009, and although this is down 51% on 2004, when they peaked at £74.6 million, banks are still urging their customers to be vigilant.

Edwin Schooling Latter, managing director of LINK Scheme, said: "Incidences of cash machine crime may be few and far between but it is very difficult for a member of the public to tell if an ATM has been targeted or not.

"The best thing to do is always to be on the safe side and shield the keypad whenever you enter your pin."

Pretty basic advice & people should be well aware of this, by now. :yes:

I always prefer to use to use the ATM at my local shop which is quite a small place in comparison to Supermarkets. It isn't 100% safe, but Staff know most of the Customers & any monkey business would be more visible to them than would be the case with an outdoor ATM at a Bank.These are open to interference 24/7, & especially at dead of night :ph34r:

I always keep my pins from being seen by wearing long trousers :thumbsup: "Elementary, my Dear Watson" :D

It's a fair point, I have read that before and always shield mine

It didnt help my mate though........6' 6" and bending down to read the screen whilst shielding his pin..........some scroat smacked him over the head with a bottle, emptied what cash they could take and robbed his watch. Oh yes they stamped on his nose too and he now cant smell anything or taste properly

Moral of the story, watch out who is around you whilst shielding your pin too :ph34r::boxing::fishyface::2guns::bash:

Kingo :thumbsup:

It didnt help my mate though........6' 6" and bending down to read the screen whilst shielding his pin..........some scroat smacked him over the head with a bottle, emptied what cash they could take and robbed his watch. Oh yes they stamped on his nose too and he now cant smell anything or taste properly

Moral of the story, watch out who is around you whilst shielding your pin too :ph34r::boxing::fishyface::2guns::bash:

Much the same point, I made. Try to avoid "On the Street" ATMs in favour of those inside shops, if you can :thumbsup:

But you spend so long "On the Street" laugh.gif

That's because I'm choosy , unlike some whom I won't mention :shutit: , & don't pick up the 1st available Lady whose attention I have attracted :blushing:

Unlike some whom I won't mention shutup.gif , & don't pick up the 1st available Lady-Boy whose attention I have attracted blushing.gif

It pays to be choosy thumbsup.gif

Unlike some whom I won't mention shutup.gif , & don't pick up the 1st available Lady-Boy whose attention I have attracted blushing.gif

It pays to be choosy thumbsup.gif

It always costs one way or another if a woman is involved :yes:

A month or so ago i read an article about Romanian women usually operating as a pair , they would stand either side of the machine and wait for a woman to use it , then just as the money started to come out , one of the women would smack their unsuspecting victim really hard in the face while her partner would move in and remove the money , the pair would then quickly make their getaway :(

Seriously, Beware of Romanian women, or men, or kids! :eek:

They seem to have solved their crime problems by exporting all their "Baddies" to our two Islands :ffs:

Don't carry out any ATM transactions if anyone is standing too close. Proper etiquette is for the next in line to stand back, possibly with their back turned. :thumbsup:

Fairly common practise here in Ireland :yes:

I don't think I'd turn my back on you...

The wisdom of the Uber Mage! :hokus-pokus: :thumbsup: :lol2:

:lol2: :lol2:

You two make me laugh.Missus thinks I'm madder than ever as I chuckle to myself reading your comments bounce back and forth.Keep up the good work :argue:

:lol2: :lol2:

You two make me laugh.Missus thinks I'm madder than ever as I chuckle to myself reading your comments bounce back and forth.Keep up the good work :argue:

Thanks , Mate :thumbsup: We DO try, & it is nice to be appreciated :D Mods don't always agree with you :crybaby:

That's becuase you get too near the mark when stuck for something witty to say laugh.gif

I'm not letting him any near my mark.........it might go off in his pocket :unsure:

I'm not letting him any near my mark.........it might go off in his pocket unsure.gif

Kingo thumbsup.gif

Balli said that happens to him with alarming regularity, it's due to his age eek.gif

I'm not letting him any near my mark.........it might go off in his pocket unsure.gif

Kingo thumbsup.gif

Balli said that happens to him with alarming regularity, it's due to his age eek.gif

Another black mark on your CV :o The sin of envy :thumbsup: You must have all the boxes ticked by now. Tut Tut ! :bann:

I always shield my PIN and also first check the surrounding fascia for movement/play in it. I also check to pin-holes and things just to be sure. :thumbsup:

I always shield my PIN and also first check the surrounding fascia for movement/play in it. I also check to pin-holes and things just to be sure. :thumbsup:

I heard that you lick them to give a smooth entry :lol2:

Back from Gozo, already, Bozo? :eek: That was a short break..............for us :crybaby:

I don't think he went anywhere, he has been lurking for days...

Nope going back tomorrow. Should be home at midnight.

Various reasons have driven me to remain in your presence Raistlin. You can tell they are serious...

Nope going back tomorrow. Should be home at midnight.

Various reasons have driven me to remain in your presence Raistlin. You can tell they are serious...

Oh Dear :shutit: We don't want to know about your relationships & goings on , on a Public forum that is supposed to be "Child Safe" :eek:

Wait a minute!......................You are a chi :shutit: :blush:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links