Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

4X4 drive problem !

Steve002

I might have a problem with my 1987 hj60 when it is in 4WD,when i turn it seem's as though the front wheels try to lock up as if the brakes are coming on,the tighter the turn the more it binds,in dry conditions they screach,in a straight line it rolls fine,

with the free hubs locked but in 2WD there is no problem and with the hub's unlocked there is no problem.

Is it a LSD on the front axle??

Does anyone have any ideas!!

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

• 3 months later...

Just out of idle curiosity, you're not trying to turn a 4WD engaged on pavement, are you? If you are, there is your problem right there. It's the nature of the beast. Never, ever try and turn an egaged 4WD system on anything that offers really good, or even fair, traction. You get the effect you noticed, and it's not real good for the transfer case and front differential. And never ever do it when not moving, or moving very slowly, either, unless you're in 4L. It has to do with the way the gearing in the differential and the transfer case are set up. I don't know the technical details, but I sure do now the effects, having been a 4-wheeler for about 20 years now.

Hope this helps!

• 1 month later...

Yeah it was on the pavement,but since i first tried it and heard the screech :eek: i thought it would be a bad idea to do it again,THANKS for your help as i thought i might have mechanical problem.CHEERS :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links