Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Are These Phones Compatible?

BlueValour

I intend buying either the Samsung Galaxy S or the iPhone 4. It is essential that these are fully Bluetooth compatible on my Gen 2. Does anyone have any experience of either of these, please?

Toyota have a compatibility list here http://www.toyota-tech.eu/Bluetooth/search.aspx

However my HTC Desire is on the list, but I haven't managed to get it working yet.

What do you mean by fully bluetooth compatible, that's the keyword. No phone and head unit is fully compatible as each bluetooth device has got its own set of profiles.

My wives HTC with Android makes calls, exchanges the phonebook, never tried streaming music as we have the iPod adaptor and it is just plain dangerous operating the phone to do that, especially on a Galaxy S (I used to have one and lets say it is fiddly in the media side of things)....

iPhone exactly the same, all I need works...

But the head unit doesn't do SMS messages or anything like that...

What do you mean by fully bluetooth compatible, that's the keyword. No phone and head unit is fully compatible as each bluetooth device has got its own set of profiles.

My wives HTC with Android makes calls, exchanges the phonebook, never tried streaming music as we have the iPod adaptor and it is just plain dangerous operating the phone to do that, especially on a Galaxy S (I used to have one and lets say it is fiddly in the media side of things)....

From Pkram

I don't know about the iPhone 4 but certainly the previous Apple 3GS works like a dream simply connect and in a few seconds all the Address Book is entered, also the bluetooth works every time i enter the car,

Completely agree with Doesn'tExist - just check the list of compatibility features to see what your phone SHOULD do. To be honest, I'd be surprised if it were legal for the car to support an SMS interface - far too distracting! I also agree with the comments about using mp3 controls on the phone whilst driving - again rather dodgy. In my experience, the big issue on the phone front is how the directory list is supported (or not) so you are likely to find that the phone will send and receive calls OK, but may:

1) copy the entire phone book onto the car

2) copy phonebook entries one by one (rather tedious, but better than nothing... I guess it depends on how many people phone you in the car!)

3) not copy ANY phonebook entries (even more tedious, as you have to enter them by hand!)

(Currently using HTC with Windows Mobile - interfaces fine, just doesn't copy the phone book in one go!)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links