Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Supercharger Fail.

leebo

while driving the short 5min trip from work to home something decided to give up on me. im not 100% sure what it is but i do know the supercharger dont sound like its doing its thing...... any advice would be great. has any one with a cts-c had any probs with there supercharger? :censor: :crybaby: :censor:

yes i had a new one 12 months ago did not fail but was dry so new one fitted by toyota under warrantty! today did a full service at work checked the supercharger oil and it was not showing oil on dipstick so topped up did not take much but only covered 6,000 mls since fitted so this needs to be checked each 12 month service in my oppinion.

Leebo I am sorry to hear your having problems mate, and I really hope it isn't the charger. What makes you think its the charger? Could it be something else along the intake route, such as an induction kit or insecure piping? :unsure:

I am going to be checking mine.

Leebo I am sorry to hear your having problems mate, and I really hope it isn't the charger. What makes you think its the charger? Could it be something else along the intake route, such as an induction kit or insecure piping? :unsure:

I am going to be checking mine.

i dont seem to have any charge untill higher up in the rev range, 5k maybe. and the noise is horrible, its like really ruff metalic growling if that makes sence. when you lift off the throttle and the engine winds down its like dry cogs. its hard for me to explain and now im concernd toyota will try and get out of the whole warrenty thing. this goes back maybe 3 months when i 1st noticed the charger seemed a tiny bit tapy while it ideled went to toyota and they said it was fine, they then went on and gave me wrong info on the charger oil side which i had it out with them the last time it went in.. i dont have alot of mechanical knowledge so im stumped but im 90% sure this is charger

Maybe it has been running dry? Sure it will come under your warranty, and isn't there a specific warranty on the S/C itself? There's badges on the passenger side sill and in the glovebox stating toyota carried out the conversion and that its all offcial, and presumably will carry some sort of warranty.

Edited by illgryphon

Maybe it has been running dry? Sure it will come under your warranty, and isn't there a specific warranty on the S/C itself? There's badges on the passenger side sill and in the glovebox stating toyota carried out the conversion and that its all offcial, and presumably will carry some sort of warranty.

im geussing il have to swap my k&n for the original filtler box? all the stickers are there where you say :)

I wouldnt say you have to swap the k&n for stock, but I would just check its nothing else along the intake parth that isn't fastned right or has something interupting the airflow. I would definately get it checked out though.

this is 100% mechanical.... the noise makes me cringe its smooth to drive still so i know its nothing in the engine. geuss the lill beauts gona have t go to toyota. . . .O M G :(

Enjoy their prices mate... Shoulda stuck with the GTi :P

Plus I hear there is now a dedicated OC for the AE92 these days... :rolleyes:

:lol:

that supercharger has run dry and this is a big problem if you don't know about the oil procedure and toyota don't as i was told by tte that it is a lifetime oil so never needs to be checked,as i said mine was low again after 12 months/6,000mls if they filled it correctly.price was around £2,500 for the warranty at toyota's expense(3 year).

Mine's covered less than 7k and I recently checked and topped up the S/C oil. My charger's oil was not even showing on the dipstick so I think I was lucky to check it when I did. All topped up now though. Sorry to hear about your troubles, good luck with Toyota as I found they have no idea when it comes to TTE items.

i did mine a while back, and going to check it again as it had 40k service 2 weeks ago. Rang HW Moon today for a gasket, and the rang me back 5 mins later sorted.

well the cars gone in to toyota but not being looked at till monday :censor: toyota advised me to refit the original air box as the warrenty company may send out a technician to check. other then that toyota said theres no reason why they shouldnt authorize it.

well the cars gone in to toyota but not being looked at till monday :censor: toyota advised me to refit the original air box as the warrenty company may send out a technician to check. other then that toyota said theres no reason why they shouldnt authorize it.

i hope uve got full service history they try that for a reason not to pay fot it

i hope uve got full service history they try that for a reason not to pay fot it

thankfuly yes. thing that gets me is listers toyota in grantham who i brought the car off said they had checked the s/c oil in the service before i had it deliverd. ive only coverd 1023 miles since i got it in june.

thankfuly yes. thing that gets me is listers toyota in grantham who i brought the car off said they had checked the s/c oil in the service before i had it deliverd. ive only coverd 1023 miles since i got it in june.

Hi Guys

I am a new member and new owner of corolla compressor. (bought it about 3 months back on 61k) So glad i stumbled across this supercharger oil thing, i had no idea they had their own oil, thought they were fed off the engine oil. My compressor seems a bit noisy when hot so will be checking ASAP. My cars out of manufacturers warranty but got a warranty from the trader i bought it off but only covers up to £1000 max. Do these S/C have an extended warranty from Toyota? Also any tips for checking the oil. looks like i need a bendy uj socket to get the compressor cover off, how easy is it? Good Luck Leebo, hope it all gets sorted at no cost to you.

Hello and welcome. To take the S/C cover off it's pretty easy, a lot more so than you would thing. I am sure there's a guide on here as well. You just undo the necessary bolts around the S/C and undo the jubilee clip in the intake end. You do need a bend contraption to undo the lower bolts tho :thumbsup:

I got warranty on mine from the gargae I bought it from, but its only basic warranty and not sure it covers S/C. I don't know if toyota have a separate warranty cover for when they fitted the part.

My S/C went on me within a month of having the car and when i took it toyota they had a technician come out and have a look at it from their warranty deptment to make a desicion if it would be done under warranty or not, thankfully they did. toyota are fully aware of this S/C problem so they should do it under warranty. if they replace it they give you just 1 year warranty on it. i was recommended to get the S/C oil checked every 6 months. there is a diagram on here that shows you how to check it

My S/C went on me within a month of having the car and when i took it toyota they had a technician come out and have a look at it from their warranty deptment to make a desicion if it would be done under warranty or not, thankfully they did. toyota are fully aware of this S/C problem so they should do it under warranty. if they replace it they give you just 1 year warranty on it. i was recommended to get the S/C oil checked every 6 months. there is a diagram on here that shows you how to check it

nothin to do wit toyota its wit who ever u have extanded warranty with not a toyota known fault not bullets on them

Thanks guys, got the s/c cover off, some oil in there but not showing on dipstick! Ordered some from eBay america...feel lucky to have found this out now...

heres a link i found to toyota's technical manual for compressor

http://www.circuitjerks.com/photos/misc/Parts_list___Repair_manual_Corolla_compressor_kit_12_5_2005.pdf?bcsi_scan_8F453A5B255CBBE6=0&bcsi_scan_filename=Parts_list___Repair_manual_Corolla_compressor_kit_12_5_2005.pdf

Ok so 5 days after I took the rolla into toyota I finally got a decision from the warrenty company

They have approved the claim and now I have to wait for it to get orderd and fitted. Mite have the car back before the weekend lol.

good to hear mate :thumbsup:

So what happened at first when you said it gave up. Was it a case of put your foot down, and you didn't hear the charger kick in?

Yeah along them lines, I pulled out for a overtake on a dual carriageway only doing 30 stuck behind a lorry. Hit 4th and pop. The initial noise was marbles in a tin can which turned to a deep metallic growl. Pulling over was my downfall. Trying to pull away from the lay-by was painfull. Getting from 10mph to 40mph trying not to let the charger kick in was hard and took every gear to minimize the spin on the charger.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links