Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Verso Occassional Starting Problem (Hot Start?)

mark_verso

Corolla Verso 1.8 VVI-i Auto-MMT T-Spirt 2005 (05 REG)

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help or has expereinced the following:

A month ago I tried to start my Verso but when I pressed the start button it was dead. Pressing the button was met by some lights on the dash but little else. I kept trying the start for about 3hrs before I was towed. Car was recovered and the starter motor was blaimed. Garage assessed the car and agreed the starter needed changing so I paid to have it changed.

A couple of weeks later a similar non-responsive start happened. This was after a very slow drive in heavy traffic (over 1hr) in London followed by 1hr without use, after which it wouldn't start with a similar lights on but little else. Recovery were called and an hour later on their arrival the car started! Took car to garage and it started every time on inspection. They told us there was nothing wrong that they could find.

Car was fine for another couple of weeks, until last night when exactly the same thing happened. After a long journey between Norwich and London, with a stop in Cambridge (no problem starting), Car once again wouldn't restart in london after I'd stopped for an hour - pressed button, lights on, no start. Recovery called, when they arrived after another hour the car started!

I noticed that the brake was very stiff when I was having problems starting it on all of the occassions above.

So, car is heading back to the garage but they say its difficult to see what the problem is unless the car is not starting when they see it, which seems a fair comment. Can anyone help? Any thoughts?

brakes will be lack of servo assistance with engine off,dont worry if they work fine with it running

have you checked the safty start switch on the clutch pedal?

thanks for your reply

brakes will be lack of servo assistance with engine off,dont worry if they work fine with it running

ok, thanks thats good to know

no this is an automatic so no clutch pedal - is there something comparible on the auto?

thanks for your reply

ok, thanks thats good to know

no this is an automatic so no clutch pedal - is there something comparible on the auto?

there will be a safty start switch on the auto box somewhere

maybe its sticking when the engine/box is warm then an hour later when things cool its ok

On my manual gearbox Verso there are four states the push button can initiate

1) Everything off (one push when engine running and car in neutral)

2) Minor electrics (orange light) for radio. Activated by one push, engine off, with no pedals pressed

3) All electrics (orange light) windows A/C, blowers etc. Activated by two pushes, engine off, with no pedals pressed

4) Start car (green light) you have to have the clutch pedal down and push the button once.

Do you have to have the brake pedal pressed when you push the start button to turn over the engine? If so then this is where the faulty switch may be.

Do you have to have the brake pedal pressed when you push the start button to turn over the engine? If so then this is where the faulty switch may be.

Yes, when I have to press the brake pedal down to get the green light to come on. When I have the problem, the brake feels very stiff but the green light still comes on and the engine seems to be trying to start, it sort of ticks but the starter doesn't kick in.

For the last two days it has been starting but the starter seems to be struggling. The fact that it starts seems to suggest to me that the starter motor isn't the problem.

Yes, when I have to press the brake pedal down to get the green light to come on. When I have the problem, the brake feels very stiff but the green light still comes on and the engine seems to be trying to start, it sort of ticks but the starter doesn't kick in.

For the last two days it has been starting but the starter seems to be struggling. The fact that it starts seems to suggest to me that the starter motor isn't the problem.

is the Battery ok??

if poss charge it overnight and take it to a Battery center,they will load test it for you

if you havent got a charger,open the tops of the battery(if possible)then look inside,firstly to check theres water over the plates and secondly,get someone to start the car while you look inside the Battery

if 1 of the cells is bubbling lots more than the rest your battery is very possibly duffed

the symptoms you give point to starter so dont rule out a lazy starter yet

how many times are you pressing the brake pedal to make it stiff?

is it like this everytime

the brakes servo assistance should hold the vaccum for ages(days/weeks)with the engine off,but 2 or 3 presses should use all the vaccum then the pedal will go stiffer

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links