Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Strange Noise!

nsmith

My car is a '98 Avensis 1800 GLS, 55k. My motor vehicle knowledge is limited so I'll describe the problem as best I can. If anyone has any thoughts or has had similar problems, any advice would be much appreciated.

When the clutch is engaged and Im driving along, there is a rattling / chugging noise which reminds me of the tappets rattling on my old fiesta, but less metallic and more of a dull sound, a bit like when the engine's struggling in too low a gear at low revs. it happens whether i depress the accelarator or not. when i disengage the clutch, it stops, even when i rev the engine, but when i let the clutch pedal out again it starts again. Its getting progressively worse and soon i'll have to visit the garage, but i find it less daunting if im prepared with some idea of what it might be.

Could it be something to do with the clutch???

Any advice would be most appreciated

Cheers :thumbsup:

If sound disappears when your clutch is disengaged, it is clutch or Gearbox related.

Try this:-

With engine running and clutch engaged ( pedal NOT depressed ), lightly apply pressure to clutch pedal. If noise goes, it will almost definately be your clutch release bearing.

If it is this, you can try spraying a smalll amount of WD40 through clutch arm rubber towards centre.

If not, I'm afraid it could be more serious! Possibly Internal gearbox problem ( Layshaft ). Check you have enough oil in your gearbox &/or possibly change it for new.

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I may have the same problem. I thought the engine was playing up but when you depress the clutch peddle the noise stops. I have noticed a slight oil leak from the gearbox. How can I check the oil level? There is a bolt at the front of the gearbox, is this the level check? :blink::unsure:

Sounds daft I know, but when it's making the noise, press up on the sunroof glass and see if it stops, I get a very strange from mine which sounds like it comes from the dash but I sourced it to the sunroof but it goes away when there is no engine load (like you putting the clutch in).

The cars using the Valeo clutch , DO have this problem of rattling. It's caused by the clutch springs...Now the clutch is re designed and changed under warranty (at least in Greece) ,so check with your dealer. In any case the remedy advised by "starensis" will help , as there is always a little noice produced by the bearing..

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info. Starensis - could you give me more info (or suggest a website where i can find out this basic stuff) on where & what the clutch arm rubber is? Also, how to check gearbox oil??? Where is it / how to find it???

Apologies for my lack of mechanical knowledge.

The original problem (see original post in thread) is worse and i'm keen to try these methods suggested. Its now really noticeable whenever the acceleartor is pressed, even lightly, but only when the car is moving and the clutch engaged.

Cheers

NS

Anyone??? theres also a whistling / whining noise when deccelarating. i thhink ive found the clutch arm rubber, is it the bit on the front of the gearbox that moves when the clutch pedal's pressed?

Hi mate, im a mechanic for a Toyota Dealership and it sounds like your input or output shaft bearings are the cause of your noise due to this is very common, ive rebuilt many g/boxs with the same fault! the parts arent to expensive to buy but labour costs will be! Toyota charge 10 hours labour for that job and at £61+vat it isnt cheap!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links