Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auxillary Belt On A T - Sport

eddieinvader

Hi guys after some advice on this. I was going to change mine as it has done 60k. Had a fella at mr t's check it and he recons it is fine, he said they check them at 60k and if they look ok they leave it up to the owner to decide if they want to change them or not.

How often do you change yours and do you think I should change it anyway.

Also £36.00 for a friggin belt what the :blink:

Thanks. :thumbsup:

with belts you never know a good looking belt can snap and a frayed one can last donkeys best to have it changed if you want to. in my case my car has 96k on the clock and the only belt which has been changed in the timing belt by previous owner as far as i know. going to get the other one changed along with clutch and flywheel in the new year when pennies are easier to come by hopefully.

If you change the belt. It would make sense to check/change your water pump and tensioner.

What tensioner?

He told me there were no tensioners and all I needed to do to change the belt was to put a spanner on the nut at the back of the engine where there is a rubber bush put my weight on the spanner which in turn pushes the bush up and then remove and replace the belt.

That belt goes around every componant in the engine! Alternator, water pump, crank, A/C compressor etc. it would make good engineering practice to change it at a major service. Nothing lasts for ever, and particularly a rubber belt! Examine it for any signs of wear and replace if in doubt.

Kingo :thumbsup:

That belt goes around every componant in the engine! Alternator, water pump, crank, A/C compressor etc. it would make good engineering practice to change it at a major service. Nothing lasts for ever, and particularly a rubber belt! Examine it for any signs of wear and replace if in doubt.

Is it right that Gates make all the belts and they just get re-badged?

Is it right that Gates make all the belts and they just get re-badged?

The belts are made by a variety of companies such as Bando, Denso, even Mitsubishi, never heard of Gates making them on behalf of Toyota. Gates are one of the largest makers of belts in the world but don't think they make Toyota's serpentine belts, unless they stick another brand name on them???

Are you on about the belt on a t-sport?

Topic title is "Auxiliary Belt On A T - Sport" but my "Gates making all the belts" question is about all car belts in general :thumbsup:

Well unless they make belts with Mitsubishi and Bando trade names on them, well no they dont :lol: but I imagine they do make belts for a lot of companies

Hi guys after some advice on this. I was going to change mine as it has done 60k. Had a fella at mr t's check it and he recons it is fine, he said they check them at 60k and if they look ok they leave it up to the owner to decide if they want to change them or not.

£108 for the belt for the ts compressor from toyota :( so £36 aint that bad lol

Looks like this.

http://www.monkeywrenchracing.com/product_info.php?cPath=182_241&products_id=1147

and who said there was no tensioner and you have to lean on a bush? Because thats ridiculous.

Ridiculous or not only stating what the mechanic in toyota told me when I spoke to him, black rubber thing top back of engine on the side the belt is on, spanner on nut in front of that, downward pressure on nut which in turn releases the tension on the belt, remove belt, put new belt on.

Not going to argue with him he does it for a living :thumbsup:

Looks like that bit in your link, if that goes on the top at the back it is it, if so the nut infront of the bush is what he said to put the spanner on then downward pressure on that :thumbsup:

£108 for the belt for the ts compressor from toyota :( so £36 aint that bad lol

£36.00 before v.a.t. £42.30 after :lol:

try camskills, damn site cheaper! get the length from the old one or the dayco website.

Have been on the Dayco site downloaded whats needed, but can't work it out.

Thanks anyway.

Sorted booked into a trusted garage for next Tuesday £40.00 all in.

Oil change the same time and a stamp in the book, can't complain for that price :thumbsup:

How come drive belts are so much dearer for a Tsport to an SR? okay i know yours is a 1.8 and mine a 1.6 but im sure the belts are more or less the same??? I paid £14 for a Gates belt...must say its an easy 1 spanner job to carry out but does help to have a 2nd person slip the belt on!

How come drive belts are so much dearer for a Tsport to an SR? okay i know yours is a 1.8 and mine a 1.6 but im sure the belts are more or less the same??? I paid £14 for a Gates belt...must say its an easy 1 spanner job to carry out but does help to have a 2nd person slip the belt on!

The garage I am going to did say it would probably be a gates belt, only having it done through them so I can get the book stamped and make a note on there that was when the belt was changed, can't complain for £40 quid including the oil and filter change aswell (I am supplying my own oil and filter).

Not bad considering Toyota wanted £42.30 just for a belt :eek:

In case anyone cares

Automotive belts are generally PK profile. Corolla belts are 6PK profile, ie the profile is PK and there are 6 ribs. the final bit is the length. So In Dayco speak it might be 6pk3232

6 ribs

PK belt profile

3232mm long

If you know the belt length then any manufacturer should have a belt that should fit. Some recognized brands are:

1. Gates

2. Contitech

3. Goodyear

4. Dayco

5. Mitsuboshi (yes that is spelled right)

I would never fit an unbranded belt, there is a difference!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links