Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Center Console And Gearstick Getting Hot, Hot, Hot!

robq

Hey everyone!

I have a 1992 Hilux Surf SSR-X 2.4L Automatic and the centre console and gearstick are heating up.

No overheating warning lights are coming on or anything and it heats up faster if I have a window open in the cab. Its like there's a heat shield or something missing underneath and hot air is being drawn up through the centre console.

I had a mechanic check the engine and he said its ok, not overheating or anything. Then I had a different crew have a look at the transmission and they said its ok and not overheating either.

Now I'm stuck.

Just wondering if anyone else had a similar problem or has heard of it before.

Should there be some type of heat shield above the transmission, underneath the centre console so that the hot air isn't being drawn up when there's a draft? Maybe it fell of or something cause the mechanic said there didn't appear to be one and that the engine noise in the cab was louder than usual, also suggesting I'm missing some type of insulation/heat shield underneath.

Any ideas would be most welcome!

Gud stuf,

Rob.

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone!

I have a 1992 Hilux Surf SSR-X 2.4L Automatic and the centre console and gearstick are heating up.

No overheating warning lights are coming on or anything and it heats up faster if I have a window open in the cab. Its like there's a heat shield or something missing underneath and hot air is being drawn up through the centre console.

I had a mechanic check the engine and he said its ok, not overheating or anything. Then I had a different crew have a look at the transmission and they said its ok and not overheating either.

Now I'm stuck.

Just wondering if anyone else had a similar problem or has heard of it before.

Should there be some type of heat shield above the transmission, underneath the centre console so that the hot air isn't being drawn up when there's a draft? Maybe it fell of or something cause the mechanic said there didn't appear to be one and that the engine noise in the cab was louder than usual, also suggesting I'm missing some type of insulation/heat shield underneath.

Any ideas would be most welcome!

Gud stuf,

Rob.

[/quote

Hi Rob

I have a 95 3.0ltr and it does the same. Like you, had it checked and no problem. Must be common fault

but as I have had the car 8 years it is not serious.

Vic

• 5 weeks later...

I had a 3.0l td Surf when I lived in Jamaica - I thought it would go on fire at times, the heat coming from around the gearstick was frightening at times.

As stated by victor - nothing seemed out of line, had it 3 years and it was bulletproof, great car - currently looking for another.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rob,

Mine is just the same, don't worry about it, just enjoy the truck.

Had mine over four years now, it's brilliant.

Gman.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links