Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Clutch Covered Under Warranty?

Crasstoe

Hi all,

I have bought an approved used Auris, had it a few weeks now and the clutch is definitely a lemon. You take it out of gear and release the clutch and you can hear it rattling, even worse if you rev a little out of gear so not healthy. I am worried as I have always been taught that a clutch is classed as a consumable part... any advise is greatly received.

Chris

p.s. car is just under the 20000 miles mark and is 3 years old.

If you bought it from Toyota, then you have 30days money back.

I had a intermediate steering shaft replaced and tail lights replaced. I assume tail lights are consumerables.

There is no harm giving them a call.

Just booked it in for this saturday, list of issues are;

Clutch - as described above

Breaks - Squeeky and a little spongy, also pulls to one side under heavy breaking

Steering - Off centre, suspect steering column

The Breaks and the Steering both appear to be recall items, and given the light use of the car from new i imagine the previous owner never took it in for the recall... Service History is very brief...

Either way they are happy to look at it, so fingers crossed its nothing and just me :thumbsup:

Just booked it in for this saturday, list of issues are;

Clutch - as described above

Breaks - Squeeky and a little spongy, also pulls to one side under heavy breaking

Steering - Off centre, suspect steering column

The Breaks and the Steering both appear to be recall items, and given the light use of the car from new i imagine the previous owner never took it in for the recall... Service History is very brief...

Either way they are happy to look at it, so fingers crossed its nothing and just me :thumbsup:

On the subject of Recall Fixes I got a document on Toyota headed paper certifying that the car had (in my case) the accelerator pedal recall fix implemented. The doc included the vehicle vin#, reg etc & dealer stamp. Without something like this it would be safer to get it checked out by a dealer.

It would be interesting to know how you got on with your clutch problem.

Toyota confirm that it is either the clutch itself of a bearing (possibly Input Shaft Bearing). They are taking the car apart on Tuesday next week to get a closer look, meanwhile they will be;

* Fitting the replacement Steering Column

* Doing the squeaky break fix

* Reflashing the ECU

* Replacing Drivers Chair and mounts (came loose)

* Straightening the steering wheel

All is under warranty bar the clutch as they need to ascertain the reason it has failed - the dealer assures me it will be covered and he is just waiting for Toyota Warranty to agree.

Good its covered, but sounds bad for all the errors.

Got my Steering shaft replace about a month ago now, and got problems but too lazy and cold to take it back for repairs, but I have 1 year extended warrenty...

1. I got a squeek when I have my car full lock towards the left, only hear this if going very slow or reversing very slow, seems like lack of grease.

2. alinghment problems, or i think it is, but need testing.

3. squeeky break, which I have noticed first time round, but could be bothered. now I know this is recall, getting this one fixed.

Need to book in another appointment with them.

It should be noted that if your BRAKES fail you may well run into something and BREAK it!! ;)

Broken BRAKES should be attended to urgently or the consequences may BREAK the bank!

BREAK = To damage or destroy

BRAKE = To slow or retard

Nice :D

Car goes in tomorrow, fingers crossed!

Also on the list now is a problem with cold starting - took 30 minutes today!!!

Well I officially hate my courtesy car, they gave me an automatic Aygo... I miss my Auris :(

The Aygo is pretty hilarious to drive, it screams to get any pace and feels like a go kart... shame its so awful in the snow (it just kills power to the wheels!)

Just got a lovely call from the Toyota Garage and they say I will not be getting my car this side of the New Year. They have dismantled the car and it turns out it isn't just the clutch, and includes the gearbox... They have sent photos etc off to Toyota Warranty and are awaiting replacement parts. I've requested a copy of the photos (should be interesting) and they will contact me to let me know if it will still be covered under warranty. I have politely explained that warranty should cover it, and if not with it being within 30 days I will want my money back. If they try to argue that it is outside the 30 days Guarantee then the Sales of Goods Act is coming in to play... not the first time its been used... I love having a Solicitor in the family :)

Fingers crossed it doesn't come to any of the above as its always a pain for both sides.

Sorry to hear of your woes, but if the clutch and gearbox get replaced under warranty then you should have a good car with plenty of life left in it.

Fingers are crossed for you. :thumbsup:

Just got a lovely call from the Toyota Garage and they say I will not be getting my car this side of the New Year. They have dismantled the car and it turns out it isn't just the clutch, and includes the gearbox...

Interesting but hopefully you will have a better car by the time they finish with it.

I have an Auris 2.0 D4D TR as well & can hear a slight whine at idle but with no warranty, making me think is it a common issue? Will be doing an oil change on the gearbox to see if it makes a difference.

Has your Auris got Full service history? and have you got an idea of how it was driven before you? elderly gentleman or was it a company car usually gives an idea, how its been looked after.

Previous owner was an elderly gentleman, full history and done less than 18k in 3 years! It wasn't a whining noise but more a chattering noise. Whine would be transmission wear and normally new oil can quieten it down, or if you have an old car (10 years+) you could add sawdust and oil, makes it silent but very dodgy!

• 2 weeks later...

Well they haven't replaced the clutch. The assessor says the clutch was fine when he was holding it in his hand (they disassembled) but confirmed there was a noise before he removed it. Put the clutch back on the car and apparently the noise is gone now so they believe it was a fault with the initial assembly of the car. Should be picking it up tomorrow hopefully...

Thats good news, at least they went to the effort of stripping it down and admitting there was a fault somewhere.

I would have been more pleased if they fitted a replacement clutch anyway, rather than refit a worn part, but I guess thats just wishful thinking :rolleyes:

If it's not defective then they don't have to, but i know what you mean.

What mileage is the car on?

Just turned 20k when i dropped it off before Xmas.

You should have years left on that clutch then, unless you pull down high rise buildings in your spare time with it?

Got the car back, and the noise is still there... guy behind the service desk agrees the noise is there but asked me if I was sure it was the clutch and not something else... so I will be keeping an eye on it. However, what Toyota have done to my Auris;

• Cold Start Issue - reflashed the ECU to the latest version, I'm guessing its the economy one that everyone has had done but either way the car drives better and starts better
  • Squeeky brakes - they have adjusted the bias on the breaks and ask I monitor to see if the noise comes back
  • Steering - New column and rack, along with fittings. No longer clicks and is much smoother with more feel and it drives in a straight line
  • Chair - replaced chair and mounts

Overall I am pleased, would be happier if there was no noise when the clutch is released but I guess it could be a characteristic of the car, I'm just glad to have it back and not be driving the !Removed! Aygo they gave me :D

Works in all totaled over £1000 however I didn't pay a penny ;)

What was wrong with the seat to make them replace it?

My passenger seat hardly ever clicks into place properly, and my drivers seat material seems to be rucking up slightly wich is minor, but still annoying.

It had collapsed on one side, and the mounts came loose.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links