Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Build Thread.

wangtastic

Well about time for an update!

I can't be bothered to type too much so here are the pictures:

Firstly Wind deflectors, cliche, but the missus loves them as she can have the windows open now and not worry about her hair. :D

th_TyresandInduction2011-05-27004.jpg

Next up, my cheeky wheel refurb, it wasn't too hard, but some areas were tricky to navigate, and the weather's not been great for spraying but it's come out looking good :)

(Ignore the mess on the wheel in the last pic...I haven't cleaned them since putting them on yet! :unsure:)

th_WheelRefurb2011-03-21014.jpg

th_WheelRefurb2011-03-24003.jpg

th_WheelRefurb2011-04-22003.jpg

th_TyresandInduction2011-05-27005.jpg

And then my new backbox, no explanation needed really...

th_IMAG0187.jpg

th_TyresandInduction2011-05-27006.jpg

and finally, my D.I.Y induction kit:

th_Induction2011-05-26001.jpg

th_TyresandInduction2011-05-27001.jpg

th_TyresandInduction2011-05-27003.jpg

I'll take some better pics when my car's all cleaned and that, also there's a few more bits I've got to... reattach...before I take full body shots :P

Looking good mate :thumbsup:

I bet you like the sound of the intake!! Good work!

Just a small noob question. Will an air intake spend more fuel because of more performance? Will it still be safe for the engine because of dust and so on?

Also could you please make a small tutorial on how you made the amps, I would love to make them myself instead of spending about 70eur having them fit by a sound workshop. Like where did you route your wires, etc. Good job on your corolla, maybe will be doing something like this when I have some extra cash ;)

Thanks,

Francesco

Well if you hammer the car around a lot then you will definitely use more fuel, but I've not noticed any change in fuel economy to be honest.

If anything it's a tiny bit better, but that just may be due to my driving style being more economical now. :)

As for dust, it's not really a problem as the filters job is to stop things like that entering the system. If you're worried you can get an enclosed filter such as:

Carbon Fibre Filter or something of the like.

I can write a guide for fitting the amps as I took a lot of pictures, I just need to find some spare time :)

Yes, pls do mate, especially on a corolla, as I plan to make a subwoofer and add 2 Speakers on the rear shelve. Thanks for the cone filter tip :) Will it also add some nice noise from the engine?

P.S. what size should I make on a 1.4 VVti engine?

Thanks,

Francesco

The filter makes a lovely noise in gear 2/3 at high revs, and the motorway is quite nice too.

Do you mean size of the filter?

It doesn't matter really, you will need to sort out some way to house the MAF sensor though. But I can help run through that :thumbsup:

Thanks mate, will appreciate if you post a tutorial on how to install an amplifier on a corolla e12, and a cone filter, sorting the MAF sensor aswell. Will be eager to see it! ;D

Keep me posted :)

I probably won't post a tutorial on the MAF/Air filter as the way I did it is not very common at all, but I will guide you through it on this thread or via PM

Unless there's a big demand for me to do a guide haha

Oh, it's not very common why? Yes please do so by PM or on this thread, or if you want to give me both tuts, by PM, might be the only 1 in Malta with a special cone filter mod :P

Oh, it's not very common why? Yes please do so by PM or on this thread, or if you want to give me both tuts, by PM, might be the only 1 in Malta with a special cone filter mod :P

Not the first one heh :P

Well myself and Gig-189 are the only one's who have done the american MAF pipe mod I'm aware of, and it's a bit more of a pain than simply buying the K&N induction kit haha

What you're from Malta? I said the 1st in Malta ;O.

Also what's the difference between the american MAF pipe mod and K&N filter? I heard K&N are very good

The American MAF Pipe (here) is not specifically made for the Corolla, so it requires modification for it to work.

The K&N one is a direct fit and designed to be used with the Corolla so doesn't need any working other than putting it on :)

So basically what's the difference between them? More power because of the air input in the engine? Cleaner air? I've tried searching the web for this mod but it's mainly used in Fords.

Are these the one?

tb2.jpg

tb3z.jpg

dsc02879m.jpg

dsc03007o.jpg

The difference between the mods is

The american MAF adapter is cheaper but requires more modification to work

The K&N (or other direct fit induction kits) work out of the box but cost more.

it's up to you which route you go down, there's probably slight power differences but it wouldn't be much to worry about.

• 4 weeks later...

Seeing as it was a nice clear day today started work on my new boot build.

Basically I was getting tired of not having any boot space and my boot build looking a bit poo so decided to re-do it. :)

Firstly we ripped all the old stuff out leaving only the wiring behind (though this is probably going to be re-done later on anyways) we then took out the bottom carpet to see what we had to play with and start planning.

Originally I was going to do something very similar to Man-Bing's boot sidewall install however I've opted for something a bit different...

What we've decided to do is make a sunken sub-box in the rear-wheel well, then the amps would be situated either side of this box. On top of that we will build a false floor with a bit of perspex to show off the sub. We'd illuminate the sub with several blue led's to finish it off.

So the idea is when you open the boot all you see is the illuminated sub. :)

Rough plan:

th_IMAG0014.jpg

Original Sub enclosure:

th_IMAG0013.jpg

Cutting out the MDF:

th_IMAG0016.jpg

MDF Box starting to take shape:

th_IMAG0017.jpg

Silicone sealant:

th_IMAG0018.jpg

Box attached to wheel well:

th_IMAG0019.jpg

th_IMAG0020.jpg

That's as far as we got today but hopefully doing some more this Wednesday on my day off.

• 4 weeks later...

Update,

done a lot more to the build this week and it's coming along leaps and bounds!

so first up we finished up the sub box:

5957855218_946cc09046_m.jpg

the lid is larger than the rest of the enclosure on purpose, you'll see why later :thumbsup:

the next bit was to cut out the wood for the amps to sit on:

5957269519_2f63c3f12f_m.jpg

it went pretty well me thinks and it's a nice fit. :)

and today I've been messing around with the wiring making sure everything still works and I've got enough cable...which I don't lol. :(

5957271045_a3b16baf25_m.jpg

5957272481_747af331d6_m.jpg

5957835204_91242a94de_m.jpg

5957836770_bcb010314e_m.jpg

5957277201_61df84dbf0_m.jpg

5957278761_0e163251a7_m.jpg

5957280789_59d22e249c_m.jpg

also if you couldn't tell I've moved over to using flickr as my photobucket is dying :(

Very nice work mate! :thumbsup:

looking good that, you fancy doing an install for me at sometime??

Seriously it looks great

haha mate if you supply the parts and your car it can be done.

cheers fella :)

well had another slog on it yesterday and we managed to get a good way through.

we managed to cut out the "upper" false floor or whatever you call it:

5977007367_21715902bc_m.jpg

then we cut out the hole for the sub woofer grille:

5977007663_5c8274c0d5_m.jpg

5977572748_f9e32b185f_m.jpg

Then we carpeted the sub box and put in the raiser blocks:

5977574390_65b1acc81d_m.jpg

5977573992_55fafe6340_m.jpg

Then it was a case of carpeting the top and checking to see if the grille fits:

5977573622_617bb9b61a_m.jpg

5977008221_5f9b8109ba_m.jpg

5977008481_7250aab2bc_m.jpg

so far so good.

The next stage is probably the one that's going to be the most annoying and take the longest which is tidying up all the cables.

because I already had a boot build before doing this it meant that I had already run the cable...unfortunately it means it's all too short so I've had to buy new lengths so it can be re-done.

Hopefully this will be getting done tomorrow, then it's just a case of !Removed! the sub & grille down and hooking it back up to the power. :)

R E S P E C T !!! :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links