Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

4.1 Alarm Nightmare

topper200

hey guys

the Battery went flat on my 1997 4.1 after the recent cold spell and her sitting idle for a week :-(

took the Battery out and charged it and sincce reinstalling the Battery, the alarm goes off every time i open a door. the hazards flash and the siren sounds . the red light beside the handbrake is a solid red. normally it is flashing red. i never use the alarm or remote to open the car as the last owner said it was ropey. but i just cant seem to get it back to the "neutral" mode it was in previously. my oh thankfully was able to disconnect the siren by disconnecting a plug to the siren under the bonnet.

the problem is the flashing hazards issue is draining the battery and im back to square one. the batterys charging at the minute. does anyone know how to permanantly disconnect the alarm or how to get it back to the way it was. ive tried the remote, the light on the remote flashes but nothing happens. have changed the remote battery too.

is there a wire i can cut or a fuse i can pull out to disconnect the hateful thing.

thanks in advance btw

hi,

I have the same problem on a 2002 4.2, alarm was going off after disconnecting the Battery.

I had to remove the alarm ecu from behind the glovebox until i find the cause.

The alarm has it's own backup Battery in the alarm siren.

hey guys

the battery went flat on my 1997 4.1 after the recent cold spell and her sitting idle for a week :-(

took the battery out and charged it and sincce reinstalling the battery, the alarm goes off every time i open a door. the hazards flash and the siren sounds . the red light beside the handbrake is a solid red. normally it is flashing red. i never use the alarm or remote to open the car as the last owner said it was ropey. but i just cant seem to get it back to the "neutral" mode it was in previously. my oh thankfully was able to disconnect the siren by disconnecting a plug to the siren under the bonnet.

the problem is the flashing hazards issue is draining the battery and im back to square one. the batterys charging at the minute. does anyone know how to permanantly disconnect the alarm or how to get it back to the way it was. ive tried the remote, the light on the remote flashes but nothing happens. have changed the remote battery too.

is there a wire i can cut or a fuse i can pull out to disconnect the hateful thing.

thanks in advance btw

crumbles

this comes up time and again. I'm sorry I didn't reply before now as I thought I had already (does that make any sense?)

Depending on which alarm was fitted, you can possible sync the fob to the alarm again by holding down buttons - depends on what shape (square of oval) the fob is.

The alarm was fitted when the car arrived in the UK and the methods used and equipment fitted seems to vary. The same basic concept exists - ie that the alarm is spliced in between 2 wires, one of which is the ignition. I have found that the alarm is normally tied to the metal frame below/to the side of the glovebox. You can trace the wires from this to various things like the movement sensors etc. However, there will be 4 wires going across to a wiring loom just above the drivers kick plate on the right. 2 wires have been split to allow the circuit to go to the alarm ecu and then return. By tracing these, you can rejoin the wires at the loom thus bypassin g the alarm ecu.

The simple electronics used are now 20 years old and appear to be succumbing to old age / accelerated by low batteries.

If you are still struggling, send me a PM (message) as I don't always check back on posts.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links