Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Proud 10Th Edition

Gmac70

I am currently a driver of a diesel Honda civic but it's due for replacement in 6 months. I have arranged a test drive of a 3 day test drive but the things currently putting me off are;

Looks of the standard car, much better than they were but still needs a little something hence why I'm considering 10th anvi model, however want to see one in the flesh rather than publicity photos - any one help ? Or know if retailers getting them

Very plastic inside - looks cheap bit of a let down

Boot space I can get my mountain bike in the back of the civic standing up. Looks a bit of a pain to get in back of proud. Any body used a Roof Rack or load carrier mentioned on other forums

And obviously it's not going to eat up the motorway like a 2.2 diesel and the mountain roads in the lakes but is the prius a good Altoona car or is it meant for the city

Pros

Company car tax is very low even if I pay the extra to have the 10th model overall cost to me lower than civic

Rising price of fuel, think many more people will be turning to hybrids.

Yes there is a lot of plastic on the inside, but a lot better than the Honda alternatives and it is all recycled plastic :-)

When you say standing up in the Honda I guess that is with the wheels and saddle off. I've never tried it in mine, Toyota should be good for an extended long test drive so why not try it out? I'm not certain what you mean by a pain to get in the back? It's only a pain when you break down and need power to open it but otherwise you need to be more specific on what you are concerned about.

Motorway it all depends on your definition of eating up the motorway. I've been getting about 72mpg on a week going from my house in Whipsnade to Farnborough which is a combination of country lanes, dual carriage A Roads, M25 and M3. My driving style is spirited but had to learn to change it a little to stay in the eco range and mastered how you can combine the two. And on the Motorway I do, traffic permitting, an indicated 80mph.

Yes there is a lot of plastic on the inside, but a lot better than the Honda alternatives and it is all recycled plastic :-)

When you say standing up in the Honda I guess that is with the wheels and saddle off. I've never tried it in mine, Toyota should be good for an extended long test drive so why not try it out? I'm not certain what you mean by a pain to get in the back? It's only a pain when you break down and need power to open it but otherwise you need to be more specific on what you are concerned about.

Motorway it all depends on your definition of eating up the motorway. I've been getting about 72mpg on a week going from my house in Whipsnade to Farnborough which is a combination of country lanes, dual carriage A Roads, M25 and M3. My driving style is spirited but had to learn to change it a little to stay in the eco range and mastered how you can combine the two. And on the Motorway I do, traffic permitting, an indicated 80mph.

MTB currently fits in the rear of the civic with half of the back seat down with only the front wheel off. Get the impression to put ni the back of the prius i would need to lie bike down and take both wheels off.

want to balance performance with economy, And suspect i will need to do the same as you interms of changing my driving style. Am excited about a test drive and actualyl giving it a good run out might even take a day off to put it through its paces.

MTB currently fits in the rear of the civic with half of the back seat down with only the front wheel off. Get the impression to put ni the back of the prius i would need to lie bike down and take both wheels off.

You should be able to get a MTB in on its side with the front wheel off - I can fit my bike, which has bigger wheels, this way with the rear seats down. Bear in mind that you can remove the hatch on the boot floor to access a lower compartment and free up a bit more space if needed, but I doubt it would be enough to store your bike upright. Unfortunately the seat backs are fabric (very light colour in my case): not so practical for mud/oil (but easy enough to cover with a bit of plastic sheeting etc.).

I recall Bike Nut has a rear-mounted carrier (see this thread) and may be able to provide more information about this.

I used to have a 2.2 EX Honda Civic (06 reg). Overall fuel consumption was 43 mpg, compared with the Prius at 56 mpg.

The Prius is way more reliable than the Civic. Just go have a look at the civinfo.com website to see how many unhappy other owners there are.

I changed mine at 50,000 miles, when it was obvious that my dual mass flywheel was on the way out. This was the final straw for this overloaded camel.

I've driven Gen II and Gen III Prii over Wrynose and Hard Knott passes in the Lakes with no problems whatever. Both are better in these conditions than any manual diesel I've driven. Also Rosedale Chimney in Yorkshire, where the Gen III left a pushy Golf driver for dead.

Three days is good for a trial. It takes time to get used to the relaxed driving style where the Prius excels.

Enjoy

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links