Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Poor Start To A Relationship

mbellinger

Finally, after several delays (all on my part and caused by various work, family and holiday interventions), yesterday evening I took delivery of my brand new Aygo Go.

I had to go after work and the sales person carried out an exemplary handover procedure, as she has been throughout my dealings with her. However, by the time we had finished the various bits and pieces of paperwork, it was almost 7.00pm and it was evident that we were the last people in the building bar the security, and a move needed to be made.

I gave the car a cursory inspection under the limited external lighting at the dealership to check for dents or scratches (none present), got in, adjusted seat and mirrors and drove off. The doors of the dealership were hastily locked behind me and there was an understandable exodus.

The first thing I noticed was that in over 28 years of motoring, this was the first new car I have ever bought which did not have a full tank of fuel. My first trip was therefore to a petrol station. Given that an Aygo costs less than forty quid to fuel, I thought this was frankly pretty poor. I have purchased three other new cars over the last two years from other manufacturers and have always received a full fuel tank, even on one vehicle that cost well over £100 to fill.

My drive home (2 miles) was punctuated by an array of rattles, creaks and croaks, and a squealing noise from the left front wheel area whenever the car was turned to the right. The cacophony was deafening, and made the eleven year old Ford Ka that the car replaced seem like a morgue at midnight.

Thankfully, I am now on business abroad for a few days so I will not miss the car or be inconvenienced, so it went straight back to dealer at 8.30 this morning to be sorted as it was evidently clear that it had not been PDI'd.

And folk come on here and talk about Toyota's commitment to quality. I can only laugh.

hopefully they will sort it for you and quickly. I pick mine up tomorrow so let us know how you get on.

I have never had a car filled with petrol beforeunless you pay for it up front. Cheap cars tend to rattle but you get use to it......

I have never had a car filled with petrol beforeunless you pay for it up front. Cheap cars tend to rattle but you get use to it......

It was a negotiating point when i brought my Go. They had the choice they supply me a full tank of fuel and i buy the car from them or they dont and i dont.

We got a full tank when we picked up the wife's Aygo, but we didn't get any rattles or squeaks though.... Sounds like the pdi wasnt done...

We got 15ltrs of fuel when I picked my Go up. My brother-in-law-to-be and his girlfriend part-ex'd their old Yaris for a new Yaris and they got the same too.

We too questioned it, but they were adamant they don't give more than 15ltrs for any car.

My hand-over was very good, but they did take forever to do it too.

Finally, after several delays (all on my part and caused by various work, family and holiday interventions), yesterday evening I took delivery of my brand new Aygo Go.

I had to go after work and the sales person carried out an exemplary handover procedure, as she has been throughout my dealings with her. However, by the time we had finished the various bits and pieces of paperwork, it was almost 7.00pm and it was evident that we were the last people in the building bar the security, and a move needed to be made.

I gave the car a cursory inspection under the limited external lighting at the dealership to check for dents or scratches (none present), got in, adjusted seat and mirrors and drove off. The doors of the dealership were hastily locked behind me and there was an understandable exodus.

The first thing I noticed was that in over 28 years of motoring, this was the first new car I have ever bought which did not have a full tank of fuel. My first trip was therefore to a petrol station. Given that an Aygo costs less than forty quid to fuel, I thought this was frankly pretty poor. I have purchased three other new cars over the last two years from other manufacturers and have always received a full fuel tank, even on one vehicle that cost well over £100 to fill.

My drive home (2 miles) was punctuated by an array of rattles, creaks and croaks, and a squealing noise from the left front wheel area whenever the car was turned to the right. The cacophony was deafening, and made the eleven year old Ford Ka that the car replaced seem like a morgue at midnight.

Thankfully, I am now on business abroad for a few days so I will not miss the car or be inconvenienced, so it went straight back to dealer at 8.30 this morning to be sorted as it was evidently clear that it had not been PDI'd.

And folk come on here and talk about Toyota's commitment to quality. I can only laugh.

Well when I picked up my (second-hand) Aygo up, it had nowhere near a full tank of fuel. In fact I remember the guy saying "there'll be about 30 miles left on that tank". He was still very helpful though, and I too picked the car up in the dark. I don't remember complaining about the lack of petrol, but this is my first car and I wasn't too bothered. It got me home (my house is about 20 miles from my dealer).

Folk come on here and talk about Toyota's commitment to quality because largely, it is very good. Things may differ from dealer to dealer, as is obviously the case with your Aygo. I hope you get the problems sorted - just remember to keep calm and persuade them to do a deal of some sort! And then you'll be able to enjoy your Aygo (and trust me, you will)! :)

Well when I picked up my (second-hand) Aygo up, it had nowhere near a full tank of fuel. In fact I remember the guy saying "there'll be about 30 miles left on that tank". He was still very helpful though, and I too picked the car up in the dark. I don't remember complaining about the lack of petrol, but this is my first car and I wasn't too bothered. It got me home (my house is about 20 miles from my dealer).

Folk come on here and talk about Toyota's commitment to quality because largely, it is very good. Things may differ from dealer to dealer, as is obviously the case with your Aygo. I hope you get the problems sorted - just remember to keep calm and persuade them to do a deal of some sort! And then you'll be able to enjoy your Aygo (and trust me, you will)! :)

car salesmen are the same where ever you go,they main concern is making a profit cos thats their job.

if they dont pass a s/hand car for example to the workshop for work to be done its not the workshops fault.

if they do then the workshop charge the sales department for any work the do.they are seperate deparments,with seperate accounts.never beleave a salesman who says,we will give the a good checkover and an oil change before you collect it.if the car is just due a service the same applies.anyone at that dealership can pick up a rubber stamp a stamp the service book.but ask for the service sheets and watch their face.if they cant produce them.

it happened to me once,the first time and the last.i know of 2 cases that of services not done but sevice book stamped up.

you cant blame the workshop or the dealership in general,but you can the sales staff.

There is still an assumption that there are many thousands of pounds profit in a new car and everything can be "Thrown in for free" as it used to be back in the bad old days. On a base model car like the Aygo, the profit margin is very slim and any freebies come out of that small profit margin. We too put about 15 litres of fuel in too

That is no excuse for a shoddy PDI job, it sounds like your sales person did a good job with the handover, its a pity the quality control was sadly lacking with all the rattles and lack of fuel in the car, this has now soured your previously happy time at the dealership. I would also make a call to the sales manager or dealer principle to let them know about the issues too!

Kingo :thumbsup:

A thought on Kingo's post....

When we go to a dealers to buy a car, or even on the internet, we pretty much know what we are going to buy.

After all, who goes into a dealers and says 'i want a car, but i don't know which one'

We have chosen our make, Ford (sorry for swearing) Vauxhall (oops another pound in the swear box) or whatever, we probably even know which model we want and very likely which grade... All that remains for the salesman to do is to 'try' and sell us a better grade than the one we have chosen.

Sometimes they succeed, sometimes they don't.

When we leave the dealers, hopefully with a smile on our face, we are generally satisfied with the outcome and all that remains is for the salesman to do the behind the scenes bits and for us to wait for delivery.

Things like carpets, road tax, fuel, protection packs should have been negotiated at the time imo, so there should be no surprises when you collect the vehicle.

I know that different dealers have different policies as far as what they do or don't give away, and i believe it can even depend on the time of the month or year,

There is really no excuse for complaining about something that was 'assumed' after all a car is the next most expensive thing we buy after a house....

There is however no excuse for a pdi not being done, or being done improperly and the OP has every right to complain about the rattles and odd other noises...

Hopefully a quick visit will sort it all out and the relationship between the OP and his chosen dealer will blossom.

:thumbsup:

What's a pdi ?

Hi Wayne...'pdi' is the pre delivery inspection that is done either by the dealer that you buy your vehicle from, or a central depot for your chosen manufacturer that does nothing except pdi's and retrofits, where extra's that you may have ordered are fitted.

It is a final check by the manufacturer that all is in order and is designed to pick up any faults that the quality control at the factory may have missed.

I have been very surprised by some of the responses to this post.

Firstly, there is no excuse for any franchise to handover a vehicle that has not been properly prepared. Price is NOT a consideration in this. I have owned vehicles from all sorts of manfacturers and have never been given a new car in that condition.

Whoever the person was who said cheap cars rattle, I would say that a car with a list price of £12,000 is not cheap and is no excuse anyway. If you have nothing sensible to impart it may be better to say nothing.

Finally, UK list prices include delivery, taxes as appropriate and a full tank of fuel. Call me old fashioned but I think a dealer who hands a new car over with barely enough ether to get off the premises is taking the mickey.

So obviously would this be done before I go to collect mine.

First BRAND NEW car and any help is welcomed .

Martin .. I completely agree with the points you are making and sympathise with you.

I think ill learn from your unfortunate experience and really make sure mines done also.

I do agree that sending out a car before it's been checked it both wrong and potentially dangerous.

You should get a survey from Toyota UK in a week or two asking you how the experience went (I'm filling mine in now). Be truthfully honest in it! My sales assistant said that if I write anything less that completely satisfied he will only get half of his commission.

Here in the US, all new Toyotas are delivered with a full tank. It's printed on the window sticker under Standard Features:

sticker.jpg

Finally, UK list prices include delivery, taxes as appropriate and a full tank of fuel. Call me old fashioned but I think a dealer who hands a new car over with barely enough ether to get off the premises is taking the mickey.

Sorry but you are mistaken.

Due to the complicated situation regarding taxation on vehicle fuel it has been many years since manufacturers of cars have included a full tank of fuel within their list prices.

Some of the "Prestige" marques do however include fuel to a set price (usually £50) within their "On the Road" charges.

In my experience Toyota normally deliver their cars with 15 litres of fuel unless the full tank has previously been negotiated and usually paid for!

I do, however totally agreee that there is no excuse for the lack of a decent PDI on a new car

Here in the US, all new Toyotas are delivered with a full tank. It's printed on the window sticker under Standard Features:

sticker.jpg

Lol, yeah but you guys pay a fraction of the price for petrol that we do over here! You don't have a money-grabbing government that thinks the motorist has a bottomless pocket :thumbsup:

It's been a long time since any dealer has given away a fulll tank of petrol some don't even give more than a 1 year warranty!!!!

"You should get a survey from Toyota UK in a week or two asking you how the experience went (I'm filling mine in now)."

Does this apply to all new Toyotas bought in thre U.K.? I've had nothing, it's three months since purchased. :no:

"You should get a survey from Toyota UK in a week or two asking you how the experience went (I'm filling mine in now)."

Does this apply to all new Toyotas bought in thre U.K.? I've had nothing, it's three months since purchased. :no:

I assume it does! I've had one for every Toyota I've bought over the last 25 years, call the dealer and ask where the new owner survey is, it may have got lost in the post!

sticker.jpg

Lol, yeah but you guys pay a fraction of the price for petrol that we do over here! You don't have a money-grabbing government that thinks the motorist has a bottomless pocket :thumbsup:

It's been a long time since any dealer has given away a fulll tank of petrol some don't even give more than a 1 year warranty!!!!

hi jan&tone,

in yesterdays local paper someone wrote they han just come back from belgiem and paid there £1.39 a ltr.for petrol.

so we are not alone in being ripped off.

sticker.jpg

hi jan&tone,

in yesterdays local paper someone wrote they han just come back from belgiem and paid there £1.39 a ltr.for petrol.

so we are not alone in being ripped off.

I'm just waiting for some bu**er to tell us it's an EU directive that petrol should be 3 times the price of the US.... :thumbsup:

I assume it does! I've had one for every Toyota I've bought over the last 25 years, call the dealer and ask where the new owner survey is, it may have got lost in the post!

Many thanks, will do.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links