Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

After 5000 Revs Engine Loses Power?help?

Momo6689

Hey all, I recently purchased a 2001 MR2 Roadster. The mileage on the car is very low but the car wasnt looked after very well by the previous owner as it was garaged most of its life.

The problem I am having is in all the gears when I get upto 5000 revs the acceleration slows down, as if half the engine isnt working! From reviews ive read on the internet this should be where the car gives its peak performance.

The issue gets worse though, when in 5th gear the car will accelerate upto 5000 revs and then just sit there on 5000 revs and not go any further! I assumed it may be spark plugs and changed them and the oil today but im still having the same issue.

If anyone has had any experience of this could you PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell me how to resolve this problem!!!

Thanks

Another thing to check is your "CEL" (Check Engine Light) a light in the shape of an engine that shows when the ignition is turned on and will go out once the engine is running, it wouldn't be the first time an unscrupulous seller has disabled this to hide faults. If this is ok and you try the MAF clean procedure, if it still persists let us know ;)

Les

• 5 weeks later...

Just another thing as I'm running with MR2 enjuns.... check the petrol filter is clean. Simple but will affect the higher rpm performance.

What mileage has the car done?

How long have you had the car and how many miles have you put on it - how many times have you filled it up with fuel.

If the fuel in the tank is old it can go 'off and also break down leaving deposits in the fuel lines, pump, filter and injectors. Might be worth changing the filter and running some injector cleaner though it. If concerned about the fuel then you can drain the tank and refill with new 'clean' fuel but do change the fuel filter as well or you can be wasting your time and money.

Has the car still got its pre-cats fitted?

The VVTi uses exhaust gas (back) pressure to drive the timing changes at 5000rpm to give the extra umpf. Given this it could be a leaking manifold or even your pre cats failing. Is the car using oil or any funny noises from the engine?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links