Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

5 Year Warranty - Anything Not Covered

Dacre

My first post so please be gentle!

A little bit of background info to start with

I currently run a Chrysler 300C estate (3.0 litre diesel) which I use for work and am paid by the company with an additional monthly payment and (currently) 14.5p per mile. The company has changed the company car policy and now includes a larger number of manufacturers and this include Toyota. The monthly tax on a Prius on 40% tax is only £84 per month so I was considering going back to a company car.

I ran the numbers and realised that going to a company car was probably the most expensive option as I lose a lump of money each month and have to pay the company car tax.

So I am looking to buy a Prius as the fuel running costs, servicing, RLF and insurance are loads cheaper than the Chrysler.

My first question is about the warranty

Apart from tyres and servicing, is there anything else that could go wrong that I would have to pay for during the 5 year warranty

Dacre

From my experience on this forum, and the US Prius forum there really seems to be nothing to worry about in the first five years at all. In true traditional Toyota style it's a case of service it on time and it keeps on going.

Is it not irrelevant? It's a Toyota not a Chrysler - it won't go wrong! :thumbsup:

To answer your question, there are lots of things that can go wrong, but it is unlikely that they will. Have a look back at sum of the earlier threads, including the one of mine with a video showing how long lasting the Prius is. The Prius has been out for nearly 15 years (10 years UK) and is actually much simpler than you'd imagine - it's just different to any other vehicle.

Firstly, welcome to TOC :thumbsup:

As grumpy has said, it's a Toyota, 'nuff said.

Apart from that, lower company car tax, lower petrol costs, NO road fund licence, and the knowledge that you have a more technically advanced car than most others....

don't think about it, just pick the colour and grade and go for it!

:yahoo:

Has anyone noticed the(excuse the language)Vauxhall 'warranty for life' publicity? I believe in fact it means for as long as the initial purchaser keeps the car, but even so if it covers everything then you would never have to buy another car as anything going wrong would be fixed, however old the car is. And if cars are going to be kept for ever then V******l won't be able to sell any new cars and will go bust. There must be a catch somewhere.

Has anyone noticed the(excuse the language)Vauxhall 'warranty for life' publicity? I believe in fact it means for as long as the initial purchaser keeps the car, but even so if it covers everything then you would never have to buy another car as anything going wrong would be fixed, however old the car is. And if cars are going to be kept for ever then V******l won't be able to sell any new cars and will go bust. There must be a catch somewhere.

The catch is that it's a Vauxhall and you must have the car serviced by their main agents. Check out the following link for Vauxhall official comment;

http://www.vauxhall.co.uk/owners_services/warranty_assistance/vauxhall_lifetime_warranty.html

I think they're having to do it as their cars are gaining a poor reputation for reliability in the trade and certainly in my industry. In fact when I started taxi-ing about 8 years ago a lot of cars were Vauxhall Vectras but so many drivers have had issues with faulty clutches and dual mass flywheel issues, that few would consider a Vauxhall again. Drivers are finding the dual mass flywheels are failing at about 50k miles and destroy clutches at the same time. OK under warranty but expensive if you have to pay yourself.

Ford Mondeos don't seem to have any particular issues or problems and neither do Toyota Avensis's which is why they're popular in my game. I'm at 43k miles in the Prii and other than tyres, front pads (only needed due to strict taxi test) and the odd fun and games when the wrong oil was put in at service early on, the car has never missed a beat. A colleague with his Vectra on the other hand :help::eek:

The V.....L warranty seems pretty much the same as any other manufacturers, have it serviced by us or else.... Fair enuf really IMHO. Whether it really is a 'lifetime' remains to be seen.... Come back in 20 years or so :thumbsup:

The V.....L warranty seems pretty much the same as any other manufacturers, have it serviced by us or else.... Fair enuf really IMHO. Whether it really is a 'lifetime' remains to be seen.... Come back in 20 years or so :thumbsup:

The weasel words are "can last a lifetime". I read the details some time ago and from memory the catches are: it only applies to the first owner; there is a mileage limit of 100K miles; it doesn't cover "perforation", which has a separate warranty and it excludes "fair wear and tear".

I certainly didn't read it a meaning "guaranteed to last forever".

The only advantage the lifetime VX warranty gives over its previous warranty is time, it stretches the 100k to as long as you own the car, ideal for low mileage users. AFAIK the things covered on the warranty are the same.

The Vauxhall warranty is NOT transferable, so that is a big difference, somebody P/EXs their 2 year old car, you come along and buy it only to get the used car warranty

It is just a clever marketing tool, there are wear and tear exclusions just like everybody elses warranty, including Toyota

Kingo :thumbsup:

So in theory if I do only 6k a year in my Prius, if it was made by V......L, with a V.....L 'lifetime' warranty I could keep it for nearly 17 years and only pay for consumables n wear and tear, the major bits would be covered....

mmmmmm, why do I drive Toyota's??

yep thats the theory Tone, of course it has to be serviced (and IIRC MOT'd too) by your dealer, so you would be nicely tied in for 17 years, lets hope you like him :lol:

yep thats the theory Tone, of course it has to be serviced (and IIRC MOT'd too) by your dealer, so you would be nicely tied in for 17 years, lets hope you like him :lol:

lol - I've done 23 or so years with Mr T, so I'd imagine that 17 would be a doddle!!!

just think, I could have murdered the wife and still had time left over!

:toast:

Despite all the knocks Toyota have received in the last year. To my mind they are still the best in my humble opinion. For instance my Gen 2 at its last service had a wheel bearing change. The dealer told me the bearing could have been left but as the warranty was about to run they changed it under the warranty.

My neighbour has a Vauxhall Service plan, they refused to do the service a few weeks early and when it did get serviced the sump plug washer was not renewed and oil leaked onto my neighbours drive. He did a temporary repair himself as the dealership said they could not take it in for several days!!

I am in a major confrontation with my bank in trying to buy a new Gen 3. The dealer has made numerous phone calls trying to help me resolve the issue and it is not really their problem.

I think the Toyota 5 year warranty is good and I agree with Parts King.

Hoping I can get my Gen 3 this week???

Despite all the knocks Toyota have received in the last year. To my mind they are still the best in my humble opinion. For instance my Gen 2 at its last service had a wheel bearing change. The dealer told me the bearing could have been left but as the warranty was about to run they changed it under the warranty.

My neighbour has a Vauxhall Service plan, they refused to do the service a few weeks early and when it did get serviced the sump plug washer was not renewed and oil leaked onto my neighbours drive. He did a temporary repair himself as the dealership said they could not take it in for several days!!

I am in a major confrontation with my bank in trying to buy a new Gen 3. The dealer has made numerous phone calls trying to help me resolve the issue and it is not really their problem.

I think the Toyota 5 year warranty is good and I agree with Parts King.

Hoping I can get my Gen 3 this week???

Chris

I'm with you on the Toyota thingy - I've had Toyotas since a 'G' reg 1.6 Corolla and never had any problems with either the cars or the 2 dealers I've been with (the first dealer's lease on their site ran out) and been with the second dealer now for 6 years and 4 cars (05 Avensis t-spirit, 2 x Prius and the wife's Aygo)

When I bought my Gen2 - and again with the Gen3, I rang the bank, told them my debit card was going to get a caning and went shopping! No problems... Can't imagine what problems you are having with your bank, and nothing to do with me, but I do hope you get it sorted quickly!

T

Jan & Tone,

Did same as you with the bank they still cocked it up and it is not resolved yet.

Just like you our family has had several Toyota models each one reliable and we have had good dealer service. Our Avensis had headlight and fog light misting; all changed several times under warranty till they were right.

If anybody needs to moan about a car dealerships and warranties then British Leyland dealers and the Montego get the gold medal from me.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links