Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Engine Overheating (Light Comes On And Off)

Totorobasu09

Hello!

I have a 2009 Toyota Yaris and I have been having a problem with it. The High Engine Coolant Temperature light comes and goes. I had taken it to the shop once before and they told me my coolant was low and they did some pressure tests and then filled it with coolant (cause I guess I didn't have any) and sent me on my way. It was fine for a month! Then all of a sudden I'm having this issue again but there was only a little coolant missing from the fill line so I filled it full and the light is still flashing. And every time it flashes the air conditioning stops working properly. Anyone else had this problem? Any idea of what this could be? I would appreciate any feedback, I love my little car <3.

Hello!

I have a 2009 Toyota Yaris and I have been having a problem with it. The High Engine Coolant Temperature light comes and goes. I had taken it to the shop once before and they told me my coolant was low and they did some pressure tests and then filled it with coolant (cause I guess I didn't have any) and sent me on my way. It was fine for a month! Then all of a sudden I'm having this issue again but there was only a little coolant missing from the fill line so I filled it full and the light is still flashing. And every time it flashes the air conditioning stops working properly. Anyone else had this problem? Any idea of what this could be? I would appreciate any feedback, I love my little car <3.

as your car is a 2009 model it should still be under warranty ( 3 years ) let the dealer sort it out.

Rebuilt? Has it been involved in a crash? Surely it still has its three year manufacturers warranty regardless.

Is it a diesel by any chance? There have been some posts on here of D-4D Yarises suffering those symptoms - one of those being a 2009 car I believe. Various 2.2 D-4D engined cars have been suffering similar problems relating to head gasket failure.

Have a good look under the bonnet; are there visible signs that there may be a coolant leak? If there aren't any then it may be internal, possibly head gasket failure. I for one hope it isn't the head gasket

I went to the mechanic today and he said there is a small leak in the cooling system but it's gonna be impossible to find cause it's so small. So he put a sealant in there and hopefully that will plug up the leak, it being so small and all it might just work!

• 1 year later...

Have you ever found out what that was? Did the sealant help? I'm having exactly the same problem and I'm getting very frustraded, bought a new reservoir cap, then a new radiator cap, seemed like it got better for a week, then started overheating again. The radiator cap I had bought was from Autozone and it broke. So now I bought one from Toyota. Still overheating. Bought a new thermostat, NOTHING... Seems like nothing helps... Please let me know if you found solution to that problem, Thanks...

Testing is easy. Fill the radiator to correct level .

Start car and leave to idle. It will heat up and the cooling fan should come on.

If no fan, then that's fault no 1.

If fan, then let it run and look for leaks.

Obvious places: radiator - look for signs of leaking antifreeze- white/red stains.

Check all hoses and junctions.

Check water pump.

It's not rocket science and any semi competent garage should be able to sort it easily.

If they cannot, find another more competent one.

PS when you refill an empty cooling system you need to bleed it of air bubbles. or it will overheat.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links