Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Check Out My Egr Valve

bluevortex

I dont know about that, nothing reali goes wrong with the petrols that ive seen, maybe thers an oil leak or something on your car, the petrols are generaly good from toyota, apart from being hugely underpowered!

i think if you read some of these forums you will see here are plenty of cases of vvti engines owners complaining of oil consumption poblems.as to being under powered my 1.6 vvti is 124 bhp,the later ones are 130 bhp hardly under powered if you compaire to other 1.6.petrol engines.the variable valve timing on both inlet and exhaust helps.

I agree, other manufactures Petrols suffer in the same way............ Why o Why are most new cars burning oil????????????????

Here I go again, this all started when the 5w/30 grade oil was introduced did it not?

Do engines need different piston rings to use this oil with out burning it?

Did the manufactures miss this, when this oil was introduced?

Other manufactures are also changing piston rings on new engines?

I'm now extremely confused and totally disappointed !!!!!I bought this car on the basis of Toyota's reliability reputation plus I need a reliable tow car and a winter hack ( I actually dislike Jap cars !) And now it seems that a clean of the EGR valve to make sure that I'm getting max MPG and that the engine will run its best should not be done because it may hide a major engine problem !!

So OK I will run around using far more diesel than needs be and suffer potential rough running ??????

Anyone want to buy My car ????????????????

No chance!!!! :thumbsup:

Maybe this explains why there are so few late 4.2 ravs for sale, because people are holding on to them.

....so that they run the risk of having one of the diesels with a Dual Mass Flywheel problem....? Nah...

Big Kev :eek:

Rather take my chances with a DMF then a trashed engine, I would never have faith in it again. :thumbsup:

I know it sounds daft to drive it with lowered performance until the light comes on but on our bulitin it saysthat a complaint about sluggish performance would lead to being most likly the egr valve thus needing modified parts fitted:

"For all other out of warranty conditions related to AD engine problems, where the customer complaint

can be directly linked to a "carbon clogging" concern, i.e. EGR Valve, DPNR, 5th Injector, EGR Cooler,

blocked manifold, etc., we would accept this as being linked to an oil consumption condition"

Iv attatched the bullitin for yourselves to read, i have no idea what is modified, i just fit them, as for service manages welcoming the work, they should! it doesnt cost them anything because they are getting paid from toyota to do it. just to clarify this for the 2.0L 1AD, 2.2 2AD and the 2.2 d-cat 2AD engines only, the best oil to use is semi synthetic 5w-30 for these engines, any thicker would probably not get round the oil galleries enough.

Cheers, il upload pics of an engine currently in bits tonight when i get home to show you whats wrong.

So if a problem can be directly attribted to a carbon issue then it will be cover even though its outside the warranty period. What about if you want to service the car yourself and not use Toyota but use the genuine parts? Will it still be covered? Or will I still have to have the sevice done at the main Dealer?

My car has had a new engine about 3 weeks(And done about 1500 miles) ago but it will be due for a service in about 1000 miles. Will it still need a service when its had a new engine/oil/EGR valve/DPF ect?

I know it sounds daft to drive it with lowered performance until the light comes on but on our bulitin it saysthat a complaint about sluggish performance would lead to being most likly the egr valve thus needing modified parts fitted:

"For all other out of warranty conditions related to AD engine problems, where the customer complaint

can be directly linked to a “carbon clogging” concern, i.e. EGR Valve, DPNR, 5th Injector, EGR Cooler,

blocked manifold, etc., we would accept this as being linked to an oil consumption condition"

Iv attatched the bullitin for yourselves to read, i have no idea what is modified, i just fit them, as for service manages welcoming the work, they should! it doesnt cost them anything because they are getting paid from toyota to do it. just to clarify this for the 2.0L 1AD, 2.2 2AD and the 2.2 d-cat 2AD engines only, the best oil to use is semi synthetic 5w-30 for these engines, any thicker would probably not get round the oil galleries enough.

Cheers, il upload pics of an engine currently in bits tonight when i get home to show you whats wrong.

Your right !! running with reduced performance , Rough running, Or just using more fuel than necessary is just daft.. Yet We have to do this or risk not getting Our cars fixed if the doo doo hits the fan ???

Sorry I greatly appreciate Your input here but I'm confused as to what to do !! Do I do routine preventative maintenance and clean the valve out or just let it potentially run rough ???

If there's an engine problem then Toyota should hold up their hands and get it sorted. A rough running engine using excess fuel is environmentaly damaging and Their carbon and environmental policies should prevent this situation from happening !!

This is only the second Toyota I've ever owned and only the third Japanese car in many years of having cars and I really wish I hadn't bothered !!!!!!!

Charlie.

can be directly linked to a "carbon clogging" concern, i.e. EGR Valve, DPNR, 5th Injector, EGR Cooler,

Can you explain why a semi synthetic oil would be better than a full synth oil like Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30? Surely a full synth is far better and its the same weight as a semi oil of the same 5w-30 range? The TBN number would in most cases be higher thus protecting the engine better. The Flash point would be higher and so would the viscosity index...

So if a problem can be directly attribted to a carbon issue then it will be cover even though its outside the warranty period. What about if you want to service the car yourself and not use Toyota but use the genuine parts? Will it still be covered? Or will I still have to have the sevice done at the main Dealer?

My car has had a new engine about 3 weeks(And done about 1500 miles) ago but it will be due for a service in about 1000 miles. Will it still need a service when its had a new engine/oil/EGR valve/DPF ect?

I would have thought its already been serviced with a new engine installed or did they repair it, even so they should have put new oil in it? But you never know, dealerships can be very tight :rolleyes:

Speak to the dealership and see if they can stamp your book for you?

A year or 2 down the line will Toyota still have the same stance on this repair? Or will it be "never heard of that one sir" " Oooo No no sir that was donkeys years ago"

Cant see these toyota`s reaching 250K miles :crybaby:

I dont know about that, nothing reali goes wrong with the petrols that ive seen, maybe thers an oil leak or something on your car, the petrols are generaly good from toyota, apart from being hugely underpowered!

i think if you read some of these forums you will see here are plenty of cases of vvti engines owners complaining of oil consumption poblems.as to being under powered my 1.6 vvti is 124 bhp,the later ones are 130 bhp hardly under powered if you compaire to other 1.6.petrol engines.the variable valve timing on both inlet and exhaust helps.

I agree, other manufactures Petrols suffer in the same way............ Why o Why are most new cars burning oil????????????????

Here I go again, this all started when the 5w/30 grade oil was introduced did it not?

Tbh I dont think it can be a problem with the 5w-30 grade of oil. I've used Castrol EDGE 5w-30 (VW 507 00 spec) in my VW Polo TDi since it was new and I've never had a problem in almost two hundred thousand miles of learner drivers revving the nuts out of her. And its never used a drop of oil. I think its more to the point that some dealers use a semi synth oil(Due to cost) that causes the problems. The trouble with a semi is you dont know how much synthetic oil is in there. It could be 50% 80% or 30%

I was told by one main dealer that they used a semi synth oil. But when I asked them about the C2 spec for the D-CAT they didn't know what I was talking about. Funny enough that was the dealership that replaced the 2nd engine in my car that lasted 8000 miles an used a semi synthetic oil on the re-build!!!

I would have thought its already been serviced with a new engine installed or did they repair it, even so they should have put new oil in it? But you never know, dealerships can be very tight :rolleyes:

Speak to the dealership and see if they can stamp your book for you?

A year or 2 down the line will Toyota still have the same stance on this repair? Or will it be "never heard of that one sir" " Oooo No no sir that was donkeys years ago"

Cant see these toyota`s reaching 250K miles :crybaby:

It was a complete rebuild of the engine so new oil(Full Synth) was put in and new filters ect. I did ask the service guy if he could stamp my book but he couldn't because its not been services as such so he told me. I understand that a standard service has not been carried out and other items were not checked I suspect under the normal conditions. But when a new engine is fitted you'd think they could stamp your book for you! :blink:

I cant see these engines going over 250k either on what I've seen to date! :angry:

It cant be the grade of oil causing the oil consumption problems.if it was, then all the engines using this grade would be having the same problems,which is not the case.

older engines using sae 30 grade (which 5w 30 is equel to when hot) did not have these problems so wildly reported.i thought i read somewhere that the problem was the drain holes in the piston behind scraper rings was the cause.

but others may know better.but ive seen pics of old piston compared to modified one some place.the new pistons had more/larger holes.

• Like 1

It cant be the grade of oil causing the oil consumption problems.if it was, then all the engines using this grade would be having the same problems,which is not the case.

older engines using sae 30 grade (which 5w 30 is equel to when hot) did not have these problems so wildly reported.i thought i read somewhere that the problem was the drain holes in the piston behind scraper rings was the cause.

but others may know better.but ive seen pics of old piston compared to modified one some place.the new pistons had more/larger holes.

Good point...And back in the day there wasn't semi or synth oils it was all mineral based. I cant remember having oil problems back in those days!

I was told by one main dealer that they used a semi synth oil. But when I asked them about the C2 spec for the D-CAT they didn't know what I was talking about. Funny enough that was the dealership that replaced the 2nd engine in my car that lasted 8000 miles an used a semi synthetic oil on the re-build!!!

The dealerships are the people that are surposed to know this stuff,Thats why you pay the extra............. The ammount of dealerships that I have heard the words I dunno from? or look confused at the simplest of questions amazes me.

I`d be be better of asking a quick fit fitter.

Your concerns re maintenance and who does it seem to be covered in the section of Liam's bulletin "Age / Mileage...." in that it clearly states "reasonably maintained" and not "must have been Main Dealer serviced..."

Big Kev

Within the warranty period its deemed that a vehicle should be serviced by a qualified VAT registered garage and OE parts and oil that meets the manufacturers specification must be used.....

Servicing the car Yourself will at best throw a huge doubt over any warranty claim and at worst and most likely result in a total rejection of the claim.....

Your concerns re maintenance and who does it seem to be covered in the section of Liam's bulletin "Age / Mileage...." in that it clearly states "reasonably maintained" and not "must have been Main Dealer serviced..."

Big Kev

Hi Kev I have just re-read the bulletin that Liam has kindly given us all access to(Many thanks Liam btw for doing this) but the problem with the wording "Reasonably maintained" is its open to interpretation by Toyota. But hopefully they will consider the merits of each case and do the right thing as they have seemed to have done in the past. :thumbsup:

Within the warranty period its deemed that a vehicle should be serviced by a qualified VAT registered garage and OE parts and oil that meets the manufacturers specification must be used.....

Servicing the car Yourself will at best throw a huge doubt over any warranty claim and at worst and most likely result in a total rejection of the claim.....

I agree with you 100% that when the car is within the warranty period you should have the car maintained by the main dealer or a VAT reg garage. But outside the warranty period like mine is (110k but covered under the extended 112k head gasket warranty) then its a different story.

Our bullitin

First of all thanks Liam for enlightening us with regards to the reasons for the EGR problems some have experienced, secondly for two years I have been arguing on here that i could not understand why people have needed to clean these out, if they are an item that Toyota designed to be cleaned out at regular intervals then they would have been included in the service schedules, I queried that my 07 black cab had done 220,000mls always run on "cheap diesel" and never ever had its egr cleaned, I know nothing about engines and did not even know what an EGR was untill it was explained to me by some of the more technical guys on here, it has also been suggested that we blank the egr off completely, I would welcome your opinion on that as an idea! I,ve also been known to say that for 30+ yrs we didn't have DMFs and never had a problem, for the last 10 yrs we have had DMFs and loads of problems, now people are scared of reverting back to SMFs WHY? there is also a large topic on here about the merits of V Power diesel over weasel pee! from supermarkets, well I hate mentioning it but as stated above I have an 07 modern diesel (my cab) that has never even seen V power, and for 3yrs not had a main dealer service and enginewise (fuel system, etc has not had a fault in 220,000mls) but then What do I know? :unsure: Stew

What is all this mass hysteria? A blocked EGR does not indicate a knackered engine for goodness sake. While an engine that uses oil is more likely to have EGR problems, using poor fuel can have the same effect.

Stop worrying. If you want to use the best products for your cars, do what you do with cleaning products and use good quality fuel and oil. Ditch the additives, they are already in.

Now about this 5W30 oil. The W stands for winter. The oil when measured at low temp will run a set distance down a tilted table but the molecular structure changes at high temp and will run a different distance at high temp - the higher summer rating. It gives the oil low enough viscosity to get round the engine at low temp and stiffens it up when at working temp. Oil with a wider range will still go through 30 on the way up. All the development work for the engine including cranking and circulation specs call for 5W30 as the optimum and of course there is a range but it won't make a difference to how it passes oil. I bought some of the 0W40 fully synthetic oil that was on offer at bargainbuys. I expect more problems with consumption due to the fact it fully synthetic rather than the viscosity.

I agree with you 100% that when the car is within the warranty period you should have the car maintained by the main dealer or a VAT reg garage. But outside the warranty period like mine is (110k but covered under the extended 112k head gasket warranty) then its a different story.

I agree, what will happen after this milage? will Toyota wash their hands of it?

There could be a lot of 100k ravs diesels up for sale soon?

What is all this mass hysteria? A blocked EGR does not indicate a knackered engine for goodness sake. While an engine that uses oil is more likely to have EGR problems, using poor fuel can have the same effect.

Stop worrying. If you want to use the best products for your cars, do what you do with cleaning products and use good quality fuel and oil. Ditch the additives, they are already in.

Now about this 5W30 oil. The W stands for winter. The oil when measured at low temp will run a set distance down a tilted table but the molecular structure changes at high temp and will run a different distance at high temp - the higher summer rating. It gives the oil low enough viscosity to get round the engine at low temp and stiffens it up when at working temp. Oil with a wider range will still go through 30 on the way up. All the development work for the engine including cranking and circulation specs call for 5W30 as the optimum and of course there is a range but it won't make a difference to how it passes oil. I bought some of the 0W40 fully synthetic oil that was on offer at bargainbuys. I expect more problems with consumption due to the fact it fully synthetic rather than the viscosity.

What make was the 0w/40 oil you bought from barginbuys Anhcs?

I bought some Shell Helix Fully Synth 5w/40 for £10 for 4 liters so bought 4 at that price. Halfords wanted £45 for the same 4 liter oil. I was lucky as they only had the 4 left.

http://www.shell.co.uk/home/content/gbr/products_services/on_the_road/oils_lubricants/shell_helix_tpkg/product_range_new/helix_ultra/

Guys not sure what happens after the warranty period has expired and We go into the extended warranty BUT its reasonably fair to assume they will want / demand similar ?? I think We can safely expect that doing the servicing Yourself just wont do !! Which is a shame as I prefer to do the job Myself as well..

My advice would be to anyone who has or is going to do their own servicing is only to do so if You can get someone to stamp the book for You ??? Anyone struggling with this PM Me and I will see what I can do ................

Charlie.

Think of it this way, they sell baked beans, their own branded beans, cheap with runny tomato sauce, then a middle of the road brand, then they also sell Heinz baked beans, top notch, thick tomato sauce and no dodgy discoloured beans in the can

Kingo :thumbsup:

Wasn't there a program on tv about food and how the economy brands come from the same place in many instances as the big brand names? The difference in price is down to overhead costs and quantity.

Yes maybe made in the same factory but NOT the same product

You missed a bit about the differences, PROFIT plays a huge part and the customer dictates how much tomato sauce and rubbish goes in the beans :D:

Think of it this way, they sell baked beans, their own branded beans, cheap with runny tomato sauce, then a middle of the road brand, then they also sell Heinz baked beans, top notch, thick tomato sauce and no dodgy discoloured beans in the can

Wasn't there a program on tv about food and how the economy brands come from the same place in many instances as the big brand names? The difference in price is down to overhead costs and quantity.

Yes maybe made in the same factory but NOT the same product

You missed a bit about the differences, PROFIT plays a huge part and the customer dictates how much tomato sauce and rubbish goes in the beans :D:

Having followed this thread for what seems like half a lifetime and always curious, I contacted one of the major petrochemical companies [whose products have been mentioned in the thread] with regard to what goes in which fuel etc.

Here are my questions to them and the replies I received:

>Hi,

>

>Just curious as to what the differences are between your Diesel and

that

>available from the various supermarkets, bearing in mind that the

tankers

>fill from common refineries.

>Are various ‘additives’ mixed for a delivery in the tanker or at the

>service station?

>

>Many Thanks,

Dear David,

In developing new XXXX Fuels, XXXX scientists devised a robust

series of tests in order to evaluate the new fuel's performance.

Tests were conducted by a third party laboratory in a globally

representative selection of vehicle technologies using industry

standard test procedures.

As fuel economy is influenced by other factors including type and

condition of the vehicle, the way it is driven, weather conditions,

road traffic conditions etc. You can be sure though of the positive

effect that XXXX Fuels are designed to offer as clearly demonstrated

in our research work and independent accredited testing.

With regards to your inquiry regarding additives being mixed at the

service stations, we do not recommend the use of aftermarket

additives ( e.g octane enhancers etc). Thus, we don't sell or endorse

any product.

Best regards,

xxxxxxxxxxxx

Technical Helpdesk

Thanks for information.

But, going back to my original question, what is the difference between XXXX Diesel and that sold by the various supermarkets.

Are their formulations the same as XXXX's?

I appreciate that all fuels sold in the UK have to meet minimum standards but I know that tankers supplying various different branded outlets all fill from the same storage facilities/pipes.

That is why I was wondering how I can be sure that the premium price I pay for my XXXX diesel is giving me access to a better product.

Kind Regards,

Dear Mr

Although various companies may load the base fuel at a given

refinery, the additives dosed into the fuel often differ by company

in terms of chemistry and dose rate (and indeed whether they add an

additive at all). The additives used in XXXX's xxxxxxx and xxxxxxx

products are key to delivering the benefits they bring. Moreover,

XXXX doses the additives at the loading rack at the terminal. The

terminals are set up to allow different companies to be able to dose

different additives

The XXXX UK website has some more information on these products:

XXXX xxxxxxxx Unleaded and XXXX xxxxxxxxxx Diesel are enriched with

XXXX Efficiency Improver, designed to improve fuel economy from the

very first drop.

XXXX xxxxxxx's unique double action formulation is designed to

actively clean your engine and protect vital engine parts to help

deliver more powerful performance. The inclusion of Friction

Modification Technology (FMT) further enhances engine efficiency by

releasing power that would otherwise be wasted in fighting friction.

XXXX xxxxxxx Diesel's formula not only helps deliver more power, but

keeps on delivering that power as you clock up the miles. It is

designed to continuously clean modern precision fuel injection

systems, helping your diesel car achieve its full performance

potential.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

xxxxxx

Technical Helpdesk

I think the statement I have highlighted in red speaks volumes and may be something those of you who are adding various aftermarket additives might want to bear in mind should you feel that you might be needing to avail yourselves of the recently notified extended warranty information at a future date.

Engines are designed and tuned by manufacturers to run on commercially available fuel formulations and, if a recurring fault is thrown up in those conditions, then it is reasonable to expect the manufacturer to sort it out.

However..............

'EGR clogged Sir? What you been putting in your fuel then....................?

Ultimately it's down to personal choice :thumbsup:

• Like 2

The additives used in XXXX's xxxxxxx and xxxxxxx

products are key to delivering the benefits they bring. Moreover,

XXXX doses the additives at the loading rack at the terminal. The

terminals are set up to allow different companies to be able to dose

different additives

I think that sums it up nicely Davrav, Supermarkets or independants DO get to choose what additives OR NOT go in their fuel

Just like the nice tomato sauce in quality baked beans :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links