Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Looking For A T Sport Corolla

Marsden1002

Hi All.

Currently maybe looking for a tsport and was wondering what the common faults on these cars are?

I'm coming from a Lexus IS200 SE Auto 2005 which is a nice car inside and out, but only managing to average 20mpg and its not too fast for that economy!!

So, what common faults do these have and what kind of miles do they run until major things start breaking?

Thanks

Marsden1002!

il say it before someone else does , try the search button

look for weak heaters when u select the hottest temp ,lift engages at 6200rpm when you hit it youl know about it alrite ,normal car checks

as for mpg i get the about 27-30 mpg on tesco 99 no matter how i drive .hope that helps lol

Cheers.

I did try the search but the site is rather "non user friendly" ie not everything is split up into sub's!!!

Getting 20mpg from the Lexus but heard people are getting between 35mpg and 40mpg??

Cheers.

I did try the search but the site is rather "non user friendly" ie not everything is split up into sub's!!!

Getting 20mpg from the Lexus but heard people are getting between 35mpg and 40mpg??

If your used to 20mpg from a Lexus, get a compressor instead. The only difference you'll feel is supercharger "wake" :lol:

Well. If the lexus is going then it has to be better MPG. The lexus has leather heated seats, sat nav, electric seats, heated electric mirrors etc so a corolla would be a little step down.

Had the lexus supercharged for 3 weeks but sold it as i needed the money!! Main reason for getting a t sport is a little more power, and better MPG, but the people who say they feel unsteady @ 100mph + is scary as the IS will do 120mph and still feel planted to the road!

I get 30mpg out of my T sport, mainly motorway driving but it all depends how you drive it

Compressors are faster and look better but just make sure you keep an eye on the supercharger oil level as you'll be in for a world of pain if that goes. IIRC you can't get the oil in the UK but I maybe wrong there

As for the T sport, go for a facelift if your budget allows, there are numerous improvements over the pre facelift. That said though, a mint pre facelift would be a better choice than a tatty facelift.

Squeaky clutch - More of an annoyance than real problem

Heater Matrix - Check the heater works properly

Seat Pins - Check both seats slide backwards/forwards

Grinding Gearbox/Clutch - Again more of an annoyance than real problem

Possibly more but nothing major really, just make sure you test drive it and that lift is engaging after 6,000rpm. Other than that make sure its got service history

Hi All.

Currently maybe looking for a tsport and was wondering what the common faults on these cars are?

Main problem for me is lift......... I just can't help it, the voices in my head tell me to do it :blink:

Make sure lift engages and there’s no lights on the dash. There's not a lot else that can really go wrong. When testing make sure the car gets nice and warm first otherwise lift won't engage and car will feel a bit of a dog, all perfectly normal. MPG wise, i can get 36mpg if i'm sensible, but mixed driving will normally return around 31-32 MPG with town driving being the worst at around 28MPG

A few other bits mentioned in this post and the thread it's in. Good luck with your hunt!

as for mpg i get the about 27-30 mpg on tesco 99 no matter how i drive .hope that helps lol

How do obtain such low mpg figure??? I would seriously get someone to check your car over as I always return an absolute minimum of 32mpg and an average of 35-42 and please dont suggest I drive like miss daisy because I and another member had a warning from the mods about the high speeds that we drive at, very often hit lift and always bouncing off the rev limiter.,

Had the lexus supercharged for 3 weeks but sold it as i needed the money!! Main reason for getting a t sport is a little more power, and better MPG, but the people who say they feel unsteady @ 100mph + is scary as the IS will do 120mph and still feel planted to the road!

Dean, the problem with the high speed instability is the way Toyota sent this car out of the factory, Look at how stupidly high this car sits, you really can climb between the tyre and the wheel arch, Now this is where the problem starts, the centre of gavity is far too high and when you start getting to high speeds the action of the rear wing (which is quite large) pushes the rear of the car down the faster you go, this raises the front of the already sat high end allowing more air under the car and actually starts to lift, now you are loosing weight on the front end and hence the steering feels very very nervous.

Rectification is to lower it as low as it can go as this lowers the CG and fti a better front spoiler, Try and stop that air going under the car and lifting at high speeds.

Apart from the ridiculous ride height from the factory, the other big issue with the handling is the crappy beam rear suspension! You would have thought on the two top models (comp & n/a t-sport) that MrT would have given it a proper rear suspension setup, but sadly the went for a cheap design. Lowering should improve it, but sadly it will never be as good as it could have been with an independent rear setup!

Phil01 - I suggest you use the search function to look up what mpg people return instead of advising members to get there car looked at.

Maybe disconnect your Battery and also reset your trip to get a more realistic figure.

I'm returning 24 on weekends and 26/27 on the motorway.

But I have a typhoon and my tyres are currenty 225/45/17 so I get more road drag than the standard set.

I dont have a clue what mine is, i put fuel in the car it uses it then i put more in ahaha.

Phil01 - I suggest you use the search function to look up what mpg people return instead of advising members to get there car looked at.

Maybe disconnect your battery and also reset your trip to get a more realistic figure.

I'm returning 24 on weekends and 26/27 on the motorway.

But I have a typhoon and my tyres are currenty 225/45/17 so I get more road drag than the standard set.

26/27 on the motorway. :eek: These cars can return that if even being held in 4th gear at motorway speeds

I strongly advise to get it checked out if that is all you are getting from you mpg figures, I reset my ecu everytime I carry out any mods or sometimes just for the sake of it, something that I have always done since working on Toyota's for the past 28yrs.

I just did a return trip of 280miles to Jap fest and back and along with some spirited driving along the M4 with a scooby, 2x lexus 300's and I returned an average of 34.8 mpg, so i dont now why mine is better than yours?,

Quick question, if you have the after market typhoon or any other intake system, what did you do with the placement of the vacuum tank that is removed from the stock air box??

My figures (above) are from a completely standard T sport

I get around 280 miles to a tank

Apart from the ridiculous ride height from the factory, the other big issue with the handling is the crappy beam rear suspension! You would have thought on the two top models (comp & n/a t-sport) that MrT would have given it a proper rear suspension setup, but sadly the went for a cheap design. Lowering should improve it, but sadly it will never be as good as it could have been with an independent rear setup!

I work for Toyota building the rear suspension and I was involved in the corolla axle and the only independent susp at the time was on the avensis (both build in the same factory) and it was a shocking example of a independent unit, for Toyota to put a new unit on the tsport it would have cost a arm and a leg, which they don't like to spend, the currant double wish bone one for the avensis would be much better

Right chaps, after reading your replies regarding high mpg figures, I then started to doubt the figures I was obtain so on the strength of that I just did a comparison road test to see what figures I was obtaining.

Set the laptop up and using diagnostic and data freeze software, plugged into the obd port, for one way trip, second return trip I plugged in a scangauge 11,

set parameters for tyre circumference, engine size etc etc.

Then I plumbed in Crypton fuel flow measuring equipment in the fuel line that measures fuel flow in cc's/time and then calculates fuel usage and converts it with the software to give a very accurate MPG.

Return trip used Scangauge 11,

Also used the display panel for avg MPG,

This was an average short trip of 5.7miles, starting with a cold engine and not been driven since 8.45pm last night.

freeze frame data,,,,

Max throttle opening 43%,

Max RPM 4747,

Max coolant temp 93degs,

Max road speed 51mph,

Max intake air temp 16.2deg, so 2deg above ambient,

Scangauge showed 35.3mpg

Data log Showed 34.9mpg

avg displayed showed 36.7mpg

So taking an avg of these three readings gave me of figure of 35.6mpg.

This ties in with the figure that I have stated in the this post and can be easily obtainable if there is any doubt.

Hope that helps guys, But I must emphasise, I am lucky to live in a slightly less populated area and the first road I drive onto is a 40MPH limit and within a mile opens up to the national speed limit, so dense commuting traffic is a rarity.

Right chaps, after reading your replies regarding high mpg figures, I then started to doubt the figures I was obtain so on the strength of that I just did a comparison road test to see what figures I was obtaining.

Set the laptop up and using diagnostic and data freeze software, plugged into the obd port, for one way trip, second return trip I plugged in a scangauge 11,

set parameters for tyre circumference, engine size etc etc.

Then I plumbed in Crypton fuel flow measuring equipment in the fuel line that measures fuel flow in cc's/time and then calculates fuel usage and converts it with the software to give a very accurate MPG.

Return trip used Scangauge 11,

Also used the display panel for avg MPG,

This was an average short trip of 5.7miles, starting with a cold engine and not been driven since 8.45pm last night.

freeze frame data,,,,

Max RPM 4747,

Max coolant temp 93degs,

Max road speed 51mph,

Max intake air temp 16.2deg, so 2deg above ambient,

Scangauge showed 35.3mpg

Data log Showed 34.9mpg

avg displayed showed 36.7mpg

So taking an avg of these three readings gave me of figure of 35.6mpg.

This ties in with the figure that I have stated in the this post and can be easily obtainable if there is any doubt.

Hope that helps guys, But I must emphasise, I am lucky to live in a slightly less populated area and the first road I drive onto is a 40MPH limit and within a mile opens up to the national speed limit, so dense commuting traffic is a rarity.

Im very impressed with the figures you are returning and seeing three different mpg reading it shows that your figures are correct.

But if my reading is correct:-

Max RPM 4747,

is not living in lift and bouncing off the limiter is it now?

or am I reading this wrong? Im taking it as over a five and a half mile journey you never went over half throttle or half the rev range??

Nope, just drove conservatively, if you want me to get full lift and max figures I can do that, but I fear too many people on here want to act like road police and tell me how unsociable that is to drive that way and cast me as anti-social, much the way you are trying to trip me up and doubt anything I am trying to point out,

• Like 1

thats how i read it to :blink: i dont get over about 25-27 mpg now ive got the induction kit and exhaust on.it was around the 33s before hand but just cant live without the sound now :yahoo: oh and theres nothing wrong with the car had its on the diagnostics machine many times just my right foot being made of lead

Nope, just drove conservatively, if you want me to get full lift and max figures I can do that, but I fear too many people on here want to act like road police and tell me how unsociable that is to drive that way and cast me as anti-social, much the way you are trying to trip me up and doubt anything I am trying to point out,

lol :rolleyes::yes:

But I must point out I have seen this dip to the lower 11's on tuesday last last week around Brand's, on thursday after fitting K&N the mpg did not alter much as still hovering around the 11.5 mark but did not really expect it to

just out of interest how much of that drive was closed loop/off throttle? how much fuel was in the car and what type/ron? or extra weight carried? 11! lol must have been in lift round the whole track :thumbsup:

Not trying to get you into trouble or nothing, just don't post up your max mph figure or pm me it to me.

I just didn't agree with you telling people to get their cars need to be checked out when it you who is getting figures about 4-6 mpg above what most owners i've met and talked to get. In your first post you said you get a minimum of 32mpg whilst using lift very often and bouncing off the limiter. Just don't think thats a normal figure to put forward to a potenital new buyer.

I would say 25-30 town and motorway 30-35. You'd have to be sat behind a lorry doing 55 to get anywhere near 40mpg.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links