Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Door Lock Actuator

Dave63

2007 Yaris door lock actuator. Rear passenger door power lock stopped working. Dealer says $400 for the part and $300 to install.

Anyone know why this part is so dear? 2 years ago I replaced one in my Ford and actator cost $50.

Does it have anything to with cable vs. rod actuator?

Am I buying a complete assembly and not just the actuator?

Are aftermarket versions available?

I'd appreciate any shared knowledge.

Hi there...

Then you compare Ford and Toyota regarding parts, yes Toyota parts is more expensive, there are several reasons for that:

1. their quality requirements are simply higher than Ford uses

2. as a result of 1. The parts on a Ford intends to fail a lot more often, thereby there is a larger after market for parts which means lower price/part.

3. Toyota is working with a "one piece flow" which enables them to respond rapidly then "common failures" occurs, and they actually, in most cases, do updates regarding constructions.

While Ford in the other hand, just increases the production of parts then the needs appears.

I know... this is a pretty rough approach, but explains you're question in some manner.

I've been both Ford and Toyota technician for several years, so i think i know that i'm write about...

No, you will buy just the actuator, If it's broken... that is the main thing you have to find out...

How does the symptom appear? Did it just stopped working suddenly, is both lock and unlock out of function?

I would've disassembly the inner door panel, carefully partly removed the thin plastic wet protector, use a razor blade to divide the sticky glue, take care, don't cut holes in the plastic film. localize the lock assey, the actuator is attached on it, try if you can disconnect the wires, measure if you get any electric signal with a voltage-meter(you can also use a 12V light bulb, and you should se lit up for a short while lock/unlock)

If no signs of an electric signal, the next thing to check is the wire in the rubber hose between the door and the chassis frame.

To do that you need to disassembly the inner plastic panel between the rear and front doors, there you should see a connector, disconnect and try to disconnect the rubber hose from the chassis frame try if you can move the rubber hose so you can inspect the section of the wires that "bends" while open/closing the doors, if you are lucky you can see that some of the wires are ripped of(ok, bent off), or, check for bumps on the wire, if there are tiny bumps you know for sure that you have corrosion in the wire, yeapp, the surface may look undamaged, but believe me, i've solved many issues by localizing bumps on the wires.

Well if you do have an electric signal, then check if the linkage rods and the door lock assey components are struggling to move, if they are, it might help with some lubrication.

If not, you probably need to exchange the actuator. To do this, disconnect the rods and try to get it out from the door, you probably has to disassembly the rear window rail, don't worry, that is not a big deal then the window is in its upper position. Then just disassemble the actuator form the door lock assembly and replace it with a new (or used part, just make sure that it's granted by test)

So just assemble in the opposite order.

/mackan100

Toyota news and reviews

• 1 year later...

I have worked out on our 1.3 06 plate T Spirit that the actuator is definitely defective. It appears to be all part of one component with the lock

Again any suggestions if there are after market parts out there

I will PM Parts King for a quote anyway

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links