Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Advice On Purchasing A Yaris

J N

I am currently an owner of a Prius and look to downsize to a yaris. Any advice as to year and type which tend to be the most reliable. Hoping to get one with leather seats. I also prefer to drive automatics so any info on automatics would be appreciated. Really looking for a quality small car.

Many thanks

J N :)

Quality is a subjective and personal thing, I have my own opinions on this and my humble, personal advice would be don't! I've only experienced the D4D and that is a cracking little engine shame about the rest. However, if you prefer an automatic then steer well clear of the MMT version. Make sure that, if you take a test drive of an MMT, it is prolonged (1 full day if possible) and on various types of road, lots of roundabouts/junctions and traffic conditions so as to highlight the shortcomings and fallability of the system.

If you can wait, the Mk3 Yaris will be out soon and if you can wait a bit longer than that the Yaris HSD will be out, so you can have the best of both worlds! :D

I'd avoid the current Yaris autos as they suck (Disclaimer: I really hate the MMT gearbox), but the Mk3's are apparently switching to use CVTs which will be much smoother than the MMT (Although I suspect less reliable).

If you can wait tho', esp. given that you're a Prius owner, I reckon you should wait for the Yaris HSD :)

If you're after a 2nd hand one, stick with a manual and I'd say go with a 1.0L VVTi if you're almost exclusively using it for town driving or the 1.4 D4D for a mix of town and motorway.

• 3 months later...

D-4D T-SPIRIT was my choice , mid range torque = fun :thumbsup: will leave the petrols

behind and pass them at the filling station

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links