Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rev 4 Rev 5?

chrisb

ive just found a limited edition (10th anniversary)rev4

but was realy planning on getting a rev5!!

can u tell me what diffenence there is between a rev 4 and 5??

also what bhp does the 10th anniversary one have??and is it a turbo??

cheers!

the rev 4s going for £5300 and done 75000miles is this about right or does it sound dodgy!!

Im pretty sure its only the Rev5's with the silver/black paint job.

The 10th anniversary model will have little extras, eg chrome door sills, maybe 10th anniversary dials etc. It'll be NA with the 175Bhp block. Rev 5's had different rear wing, thats about it ( rev 4 has rev3 wheels but are polished and had green tinted glass).

Rev 4

mr2redmr.jpg

Rev5 has thinner 5 spoke wheels, and a scooby style spoiler.

rev5.jpg

Hope this helps

if its got raised engine vents and twin cam 16 turbo written in the body side strip underneath the rear quarter panels then its a turbo

rev 5s had newer rounded shaped alloy spokes. they also 7bhp less (168) than a rev 3 or 4 (175) due to stricter emission laws. Oh and that big fat wing liek dan said lol..kidna made my psot redundant now <_< :P

DeusMR2 Posted on Mar 21 2004, 12:55 PM

Oh and that big fat wing liek dan said lol..kidna made my psot redundant now 

Sorry dude lol

is the difference between the non turbos andthe turbo models soley the fact that they have a tubo or do they have any onther engine mods or any other differences?

the reason i ask is because i am only 19 and i imagine the insurance would be quite a difference between the two, and was wondering if u could put on a aftermarket turbo and the power be the same???

Cheers! :thumbsup:

and was wondering if u could put on a aftermarket turbo and the power be the same???

You could but IMHO it's not worth the hassle.....you wouldn't make ANYWHERE near the same sort of power and it would have to be a low boost setup. Decide weather you want a NA or Turbo BEFORE buying.....there is a BIG difference between the two performance wise...and what there both capable of. Insurance is a good reason to go NA though.

Cheers

KiwiMR2

tbh at 19 i wouldn't even dream of a tubby, insurance just aint gonna happen, and thats only if you can finance the thing. Any idea on parts costs for a tubby? thats before the fuel etc. :eek:

Dont mean to sound a little patronising but NA's can be troublesome enuf in the wet, and ive owned some very fast cars, and at 21 i doubt id stay arround for long if i had a tubby. Get yourself a NA, and doe what guys our age should be doing, playing football and scoring chicks!!! :thumbsup:

ive just found a limited edition (10th anniversary)rev4

but was realy planning on getting a rev5!!

can u tell me what diffenence there is between a rev 4 and 5??

also what bhp does the 10th anniversary one have??and is it a turbo??

cheers!

the rev 4s going for £5300 and done 75000miles is this about right or does it sound dodgy!!

If its a real 10th anniversary MR2 it will have a Momo wood/leather steering wheel with the serial number of the car engraved on a plaque in the centre of the wheel.

Only 250 cars were imported to the UK but there seems to be close on that number advertised every week. Everybody who sells a 96 MR2 in silver seems to reckon its a 10th anniversary car. Mind you I've seen them advertised in red and white too, a good trick as they were only in Lucerne Silver and Carribean Blue.

The gearbox and drive shafts on the Turbo's are uprated to cope with the extra power, so fitting an aftermarket turbo to get the same power isn't a good idea. Plus you would probably find that the insurance would be more than if you actually bought a proper turbo as you would then be insuring a modified car.

thanks for the info guys,much appreciated!

the special edition was in Lucerne silver and had the (hi powe black)or something like that alloys!!

someone said there was only 250 imported, are the classed by insurance companies as imports or were the build abroad for the uk market??

thanks again! :thumbsup:

All MR2's are built in japan. Some built in japan were made for the UK market and Toyota shipped them here and sold them in their dealerships, these were only the 3sge engined i.e. non-turbo cars. So called gray imports, that include every turbo MR2 in the UK were only sold by toyota in Japan, japanese domestic market (JDM) cars. In japan they also sold the regular non turbo MR2, but they called it the MR2 G-Ltd or G, these when found in the uk are all 'gray imports'.

Basically G-Ltds and G's are cheaper than the UK equivalent, badged GTi-16. The only reason for this is they are often without service history, toyota dealers charge a higher labour rate and can often be funny about supplying you parts and insurance companies often will add 10% to your insurance.

The gearbox and drive shafts on the Turbo's are uprated to cope with the extra power, so fitting an aftermarket turbo to get the same power isn't a good idea. Plus you would probably find that the insurance would be more than if you actually bought a proper turbo as you would then be insuring a modified car.

Oddly enough it's often easier and cheaper to insure a modified car than a grey import tubby. I've heard a lot of people who have fitted the rear clip from a tubby to their UK NA cars are finding it cheaper and easier to insure them as modified.

Meh get a turbo if you want a turbo, bit of a !Removed! to drive if you havent had the experience though, so BE WARNED!

I got insured a 22 and it was ok, 19 you must be joking to be honest mate.

I wouldnt swap my rev5 tubby for anything right now, but I have been tempted at times!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links