Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Insurance - Caution

Exmeg2

I have just spent some considerable time surfing for insurance for my 2009 Auris TR 1.6 Valvematic and have come across something which might be a potential problem for the unwary.

There seems to be two versions of the Auris 1.6 petrol engine in cars produced in 2009 i.e. 124 bhp and 132 bhp. Many of the insurance companies I visited listed only the 124 version in their drop-down menus of car models and I imagine that some owners with a 132 version might be tempted to choose the 124 version because the 132 is not listed. I have checked this situation with an insurance underwriter and have been told that the 132 model attracts a higher insurance premium than the 124.

The problem is this. If an owner unwittingly quotes his car as being a 124, because that is all the insurance company lists, when in fact his car is a 132 then in the event of an accident the insurance company can refuse to pay a claim. The answer is to get on the telephone and talk directly to the insurance company in order to clarify matters.

The problem is this. If an owner unwittingly quotes his car as being a 124, because that is all the insurance company lists, when in fact his car is a 132 then in the event of an accident the insurance company can refuse to pay a claim. The answer is to get on the telephone and talk directly to the insurance company in order to clarify matters.

I would agree wholeheartedly. Aboiut 8 years ago I had a similar problem concerning an 1.6 Astra - the insurers insisted it was 16v engine when in fact is was an 8 valve engine.

Whilst I search online for the best deal I never buy insurance on-line I always phone before accepting terms and when I'm at it I always ask can they better the price or throw in a few extras such as breakdown or key insurance. If the telephone sales person is keen to close the deal it is surprising what they may offer.

In reality, although they say they can refuse to pay a claim... because of it being 8bhp different they would just charge you the difference in premium and process the claim as normal. If you type in the reg and it pulls the details through from the DVLA, how is the average person meant to know if its the 124 or 132bhp model if its not clearly noted anywhere?

In reality, although they say they can refuse to pay a claim... because of it being 8bhp different they would just charge you the difference in premium and process the claim as normal. If you type in the reg and it pulls the details through from the DVLA, how is the average person meant to know if its the 124 or 132bhp model if its not clearly noted anywhere?

Good point,old lady down the end of my road has an auris.she is over eighty and woulld not know what bhp is or very likly what her engine capacity is.i doubt she has ever looked under her bonnet.

Many years ago i bought a Peugeot 307 HDI. On the day of collection the insurance doc's arrived, and although i had ordered a 307 HDI 110bhp, the insurance docs had it down as a 90bhp version.

I called the insurance to correct it, and mid way through the process their computer crashed and locked them out of my file when they tried to access on another PC. I explained that i was on my way to collect the car, and the guy on the phone told me not to worry, as the car was a Peugeot 307 HDI and the number plate matched, so as far as they were concerned, I was covered. I never called back to change the details and continued to pay slightly less on insurance.

In the 18 months i owned the car, i never had an issue where insurance was concerned, despite being pulled over by a police car for a blown brake light and having a vehicle check done.

You'd have to be unlucky to have a claim cancelled for something like that. Shame my car has an SR180 Badge on the back, or i could have tried to insure it as a lower spec! haha (JOKE)

Good point,old lady down the end of my road has an auris.she is over eighty and woulld not know what bhp is or very likly what her engine capacity is.i doubt she has ever looked under her bonnet.

:lol: you could well be correct, but I do know of one 'old lady' who spent the war years rummaging around under the bonnets of army lorries, and more than once has helped out stranded motorists on her Norfolk estate. HM certainly knows what goes on under a bonnet, but I suspect that most old ladies would indeed fit your comment :)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links