Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Inflation Hell - Lowering Service Costs?

Yarisimo

I have a Yaris 1.33 Petrol motor.

The new 1.33 car is up for full service. Since I was made redundant, I have seen petrol and food, and generally everything rise in price and it looks to get much worse.

I am struggling a bit with bills but would like to keep the car properly serviced.

Toyota are asking for around £248 for the 20,000 service, with £47 for their own branded oil.

Isn't this a bit steep for the service and oil on such a small engine?

Can I use any third party oils? Even some of the ultra-high-tech oils used by the rally and racing crowd seem better value.

Appreciate any help, this service is 3 months disposable family income to me and I'm losing hair over this.

Unfortunately it doesn't usually cost any more to service a big engine than it does to a small one... assuming we are just talking oil changes. Time wise the effort is the same on most modern cars, and a 5l oil can tends to do it (although it doesn't on either of my cars lol).

You have three options if you want to keep the service interval unchanged.

-Find out what oil Toyota use and supply it yourself. (doing this with BMW saves about £50!)

-Take it to an independant garage

-Do it yourself.

Paying for servicing is a !Removed!... I'd always much rather DIY it, the only thing you have to loose is possible less resale value, but that depends on the car (And how long you intend to keep it!)

Thanks, can you or anyone tell me, if I find the spec of the oil Toyota propose to use (they blurb it as "Toyota Extra-Long-Life Oil"), and insist that I will supply the same spec oil, can they the refuse to perform a Toyota-stamped service because I refuse to pay through the nose for their "special" oil

I feel a tad miffed that when I bought the car, Toyota never mentioned it needs it's own "special" oil.

£47!?!?!?!

I buy genuine Toyota oil for my GT4 (10w40 Semi Synth) from a Toyota main dealer and only pay a nats tadger over £20 for 5 litres.

Hi Yarisimo,

Perhaps you should consider a service plan. I pay £9.70 per month for my service plan for my Yaris, although I took it out before the VAT went up, so it'll be a bit more now. Its for 3 years and will include the first big service as I took the service plan out when my car is 2. It works out cheaper than paying for each service individually and there's no extra charge for paying in installments by direct debit. It suits me as I wouldn't take my car to anywhere else other than Toyota. The service plan includes oils and fluids used and probably a few other items too.Its worth considering :thumbsup:

You might be better to get the Toyota centre service if your car is 2010 to keep its warranty valid.

You can have it serviced anywhere you want, it no longer affects your warranty ;)

I service my own car mainly as Toyota have no idea about my engine and major items, Lift bolts, aren't even in their service schedule.

My last service cost me £20 thumbsup.gif

Okay, I found a private garage that are cheaper.

However they say the service for this particular engine, requires the "special" Toyota brand "Long Life" engine oil at £47 a throw.

He said he cannot use a different oil.

What the heck is going on?

Please any advice? The engine is the 1.33 Petrol. manual 6-speed gearbox.

Okay, I found a private garage that are cheaper.

However they say the service for this particular engine, requires the "special" Toyota brand "Long Life" engine oil at £47 a throw.

He said he cannot use a different oil.

What the heck is going on?

Please any advice? The engine is the 1.33 Petrol. manual 6-speed gearbox.

Anyone have any knowledge guys?

Parts King is prob the best person to ask :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links