Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Loss Of Power On Acceleration

Skydesigner

update been booked in for the 29th and they need it for the day

I am very grateful to everyone who has reported on this issue, as it has saved me a lot of money.

My 09 IQ2 runs out of its Toy second hand purchase dealer warrantyon Sep 20th, and as I was getting an intermediate service before then, I thought that I would "report" loss of power, especially at roundabouts etc etc....

....now my car has been fine, but probably living on borrowed time, so I thought that I would 'fly a kite' as it were...

well I couldn't be more appreciative of a very small Toy service place called Twin Spark Motors, (as they also do ALfa Romeo ina tiny back street (almost) lock up....never any waiting, and always helpful..

the service manager persued the extended warranty people but they didn't want to know, and then but to Toy Town, but they too put the thumb down....but he didn't give up, and finally the Warranty mob have agreed to a a new exhaust manifold, new catalyser, and new EGR and all pipe work, plus some ECU work, all priced at £1500.....

result!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...and a bottle of fizzy for the service manager me-thinks

barry coll

Well done.

I take it then that it was already out of the Toyota 3 years Manufactures Warranty.

(had it already had a MOT?)

People that are still within, need to get a move on and check that all is well now.

Best to, IMO

Get Toyota on the case & make sure you do not get well hit in the pocket in the near future.

george

Hi George

Yes, the first MOT was March, so the car is 6 months out of Toy warranty, but just still covered by 1 year extended warranty of Marshalls Toy people....

I pick the car up this afternoon, so it will be interesting to see if it feels any different...

As you say George, folks coming to the end of their warranty really should follow up on this one, as it could be an expensive mistake

Its been 2 weeks since our warranty expired now and thank god we got this done thanks to everyone on here. No hesitation or jumping about the place. It's great. We used the warranty very well. I was looking back at receipts and we've been in 6+ times to get warranty/faults fixed. Now it's expired, fingers crossed the IQ has been a pleasure to drive. Covered 4,000miles within 2 months since the work got carried out and it drives perfect now.

The 2nd gear issue people have been encountering has actually fixed itself over time. We think because the car was sitting for half a year prior to us buying it, everything has loosened up for the best :)

Big thanks to all who's helped us, without it would of been a very expensive future problem that I would of sold the IQ by now if I had to pay thousands towards the work.

Glad your perseverence has been worth it.

There must be a lot of IQ "time bombs" out there whose owners have no idea of what may lie in store.They may of course just think a sluggish pick-up and acceleration is a feature of the car and learn to live with it.

As it is really a safety issue, I can't understand why Toyota have not made it a "next service update" at the very least if not a full recall, except of course for the monetary issues (which over-ride everything it would seem until there is a legal issue involving culpability after an accident)

John

By the way, I see A. Clark have another white 09 IQ for sale in Dunf. (near Asda) for £5995, that has been there for a few weeks.

Bet it hasn't had the mods done!

Ive seen that IQ at Fiat, A. Clark. Think its done about 40,000. I thought the IQ would be a great selling point in garages in this current climate but still seems quite rare on our roads compared to Clios/Smarts/Twingos and so forth.

I think it is just that it appears a bit expensive for what it is compared to other cars and casual buyers will move on to buy possibly a full 4 seater, nearly as economical, cheapish road tax car for less money.

But having driven an Aygo for three years and more recently the latest Yaris, they just can not match the IQ as a car I look forward to getting into and having a drive. After 4 years of IQ ownership I am still not bored with it!

John

Johnan, it is only the 2009 IQ which is the time bomb the newer IQ's have the modification standard. If you look to the later models, you can see a different layout of the exhaust pipe and egr.

The same layout as our modified 2009 IQ's.

After the modification I noticed more fibrations when the engine rotates at 2000rpm.

I can't remember if it was already before the modification the same.

I don't know what your opinion is at this point.

But still the rubber window seal on the left side of the IQ is a problem. And I don't know if the later models are modified and got an other window seal.

So the dutch IQ's have the same problems as the IQ's in the UK.

• Like 1

Hi Neelix, I do have a later IQ now (2011) as I traded in my 09 model last year, and my new one does have the modified EGR valve and pipework.

I have noticed a slightly stronger vibration through the car as the engine revs drop to idle at around 900rpm compared to my previous IQ, but I have not noticed anything different at 2000rpm. Might be the case, but I haven't noticed it.

Neither of my IQ's have had the window seal problem, in 4 years of ownership. I wonder why it affects some cars, and recurs after repair, and not others?

John

• 11 months later...

Sorry, but bumped this thread as well as the other one i have from April 2012,

since it goes back to August 2011,

That was when the first cars were only 2 years old and still well within the 3 years Manufacturers Warranty.

just for those that doubt there is or was a problem.

george

Toyota may or may not monitor topics and posts on TOC - don't know.

If they don't, making posts on TOC suggesting recall or similar action may be wasted effort.

If owners are concerned about problems with their vehicle which may be safety related, there is a mechanism for reporting vehicle safety defects via VOSA - see https://www.gov.uk/report-vehicle-safety-defect (which also includes some guidance on vehicle safety defects). This may be a more effective method of making Toyota aware of your concerns.

• Like 1

Toyota like Good Results in Consumer Surveys, Best Used CAR, Best Dealership Customer Services, etc.

Best car over 4 years old.

Well these post Forewarn potential customers of their used cars.

Forearmed is forwarned.

Toyota is best looking after their reputation and customers by doing the right thing.

• Like 1

If anyone wants to make Toyota more aware that EGR problem should be made re call item by Toyota UK and worldwide you can write to:

Mr Jon Williams, President and Managing Director of Toyota GB,

Toyota (GB) plc

PO Box 814

Portsmouth

PO6 9AY

United Kingdom

OR:

IN JAPAN - Board of Directors

Address - Toyota-Cho, Toyota City, Aichi Prefecture 471-8571, Japan

Akira Imura - Chairman

Chairman

Akira
Imura

Vice
Chairman

Kazunori
Yoshida

President

Tetsuro
Toyoda

Executive
Vice Presidents

Kimpei Mitsuya

Tetsuo Agata

Chiaki Yamaguchi

Senior

Managing Directors

Toshiyuki Sekimori

Kazue Sasaki

Hirotaka Mori****a

Shinya Furukawa

Akira Onishi

Masaharu Suzuki

Directors

Masafumi Kato

Norio Sasaki

Toshifumi Ogawa

Toshifumi Onishi

Fujio Cho

Corporate Auditors

Standing
Corporate Auditors

Shigetaka Yoshida

Kakuo Ishikawa

Corporate
Auditors

Katsuaki Watanabe

Toshio Mita

Hans-Juergen Marx

Managing Officers

Senior
Managing Officers

Takaki Ogawa

Kohei Nozaki

Kan Otsuka

Taku Yamamoto

Managing

Officers

Yukihisa Tsuchimoto

Hiroaki Asai

Takashi Ito

Toshiya Yamagishi

Junichi Harada

Mikihiko Okamoto

Hirooki Fujiwara

Yasuhiro Murata

Yojiro Mizuno

Masahiro Kawaguchi

Susumu Toyoda

Yuji Ishizaki

Keizo Hara

Kiyotsugu Kurimoto

Masafumi Kunito

Toshihiko Shimizu

Koichi Ito

• Like 1

Apologies for "gaps in text" in above post

• Like 1

Even though my EGR valve problem has been resolved I have chosen to complete the form as previously suggested for EGR safety issue :

https://www.gov.uk/r...e-safety-defect

Will post it off and wait for any response.

I recommend that all IQ owners that have experienced the EGR safety issue do the same.

All comments welcomed.

Positive Regards,

Bob.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I was getting bored to read speculation about this issue, and worried not knowing exactly what the issue is, and how dangerous it might be (I have an iQ with the older EGR design). So I downloaded the TSB myself !

FYI, you can get the TSB in the Toyota TechDocs service for only 3€ + VAT.

You need to register here : http://www.toyota-tech.eu

Then you click on "Online Subscriptions" on the left and you subscribe for one hour.

Once done, click Repair in the menu, then Technical Service Bulletin.

toc_128369_93_1.png

Then, fill in the form (select iQ, English language, KGJ10, and in freetext enter "engine power"and hit return) :

toc_128369_93_2.png

Then you can open the TSB by clicking on the icon at the right.

I'm clearly not going to post the PDF, but I can post an extract as a citation :

toc_128369_93_3.png

SO :

- The EGRV is NOT changed; at some point they list the changed parts, it's only pipes, nothing electrical or electromechanical.

- They change the catalytic converter, it's part of the exhaust pipes that are listed to be replaced.

- Affected production date is up to 06/2010, not "late 2009" as I have read

We now finally know exactly what we are speaking about and can stop speculating.

And, as some have stated, this problem is NOT listed in the TSB to be intermittent (I don't say it's not, but it's not written it is).

Hope this helps ;)

[EDIT 09/09/13 : updated post as per post below]

• Like 2

The post above is incorrect, as you can see from the pictures shown above the modified EGR pipe exits the exhaust from below the catalyst this requires a whole new exhaust manifold/catalyst assembly ( all one piece) the repair also requires a new front pipe exhaust & and intake manifold insulator plus all the associated gaskets ( see pictures attached )

The EGR valve is not replaced as it is not faulty it is only the EGR plumbing that can be at fault.

post-45863-0-40482200-1378755193_thumb.p

post-45863-0-12335700-1378755213_thumb.p

• Like 1

Very interesting, thanks for the correction. This is not mentionned clearly in the TSB schematics.

The TSB does mention that part 17410-40130 must be replaced by new part 17410-40200 so this is consistent with your schematics.

Thanks again for the clarification - I have updated the post. It's important to be as accurate as possible.

• Like 1

Wow... thanks Uski.... this is really interesting..... gives more details.... :-D

I will post in a short time a copy of my Toyota dealer.

This is namely exact what they suggested to replace... Over 2000 euros.... No warranty after 3 years and not in the extra warranty. I am still communicating with the main Toyota in Holland.

The above few posts now are a very good clear descripsion of the "labeled" EGR problem.

VOSA are fully aware of this modification and are investigating it from a safety perspective.

Well .... these are the letters I got from the dealer I had the check of the car with.

Sorry it is in Dutch... :dontgetit: but part-numbers are mentioned... to me it seems exactly the thing we are talking about.

They could not give me a paper of the things they had found during the check of the car. They said it was a "dirty" catalyst and something with the air intake thing.
I did not really understand but they refused to give more details, left alone a copy of the paper with the findings. Nothing they would put on paper.

And they told that nothing was under warranty / nor under the extra warrenty (they had contacted the Toyota main office).. No copy of any paperwork possible, they did this by phone they said.

When I asked for the costs of this investigation, they said it was with no costs. And when I asked for a copy of findings they could not...
They were willing to give me a socalled "zero-facture". This is a bill but with no charge on it.

After some days I received a letter from this dealership, about the that day...

BUT to my surprize....also a detailed paper of the repair of this "problem"... All the things they would do to repair this problem.
I do not understand the word "warranty" (garantie) as they told me nothing was under warranty....
Here:
Toyota-Hoofddorp-iQ-nulfactuur-2-garanti
and:
Toyota-Hoofddorp-iQ-nulfactuur-1-_zps1c5

I was getting bored to read speculation about this issue, and worried not knowing exactly what the issue is, and how dangerous it might be (I have an iQ with the older EGR design). So I downloaded the TSB myself !

FYI, you can get the TSB in the Toyota TechDocs service for only 3€ + VAT.

You need to register here : http://www.toyota-tech.eu

Then you click on "Online Subscriptions" on the left and you subscribe for one hour.

Once done, click Repair in the menu, then Technical Service Bulletin.

toc_128369_93_1.png

Then, fill in the form (select iQ, English language, KGJ10, and in freetext enter "engine power"and hit return) :

toc_128369_93_2.png

Then you can open the TSB by clicking on the icon at the right.

I'm clearly not going to post the PDF, but I can post an extract as a citation :

toc_128369_93_3.png

SO :

- The EGRV is NOT changed; at some point they list the changed parts, it's only pipes, nothing electrical or electromechanical.

- They change the catalytic converter, it's part of the exhaust pipes that are listed to be replaced.

- Affected production date is up to 06/2010, not "late 2009" as I have read

We now finally know exactly what we are speaking about and can stop speculating.

And, as some have stated, this problem is NOT listed in the TSB to be intermittent (I don't say it's not, but it's not written it is).

Hope this helps ;)

[EDIT 09/09/13 : updated post as per post below]

Actually I don't think there is such a thing as an EGR "valve", as said it is just a piece of pipe. Someone last year started putting the "V" in the description and it has been there ever since!

• Like 1

Funny Johnan... .. :dontgetit: Just a peace of pipe...lol... :flowers:

On the picture from Devon Aygo it shows this part...in the middel of the left drawing.

Here is the EGR "valve"...and it regulates "yes"or "no" to the inlet of exhaust gases in the "inlet-manifold-thing"

Here: it reads EGR valve assembly ... ...

Outlet and intake are connected through this Valve-thing... The pipe on front-catalyst of the new type is "repositioned" from before this catalyst to rear of the catalyst...due to clogging of this pipe... Through this pipe the exhaust gases are regulatyed by this Valve-thing (re)inside the IntakeManifold.... due to environment regulations.

Because of different pipe shapes/forms/measurements more parts are changed...

So the "out" is connected with the "in" through a pipe and regulated by this valve... :-D

EGR-1_zpse1f56e4d.png

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links