Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

And Now The Rubbish Part

leebo

a short trip to the shops cost me more then the pint of milk i went for. i could never feel lift like a standard t sport as the compressor was smoothed out, until the fateful night i hit 6000 rpm to be greeted with a nice rev limiter, test showed up as p1693 vvtl closed fault! dont be fooled! at closer check we found a rocker valve broken in to 4 pieces and to repair it i need a new bank of rocker valves and exhaust cam - but at £318 its left me with a bitter taste in my mouth......... bummah 2011-08-31184255-1.jpg any ideas if theres other places to buy this cam and rockers from?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• leebo

• jaykaddz

• borodaz

• KPARRIS-JONES

My T-sport does the exact same, would this be the same problem as on mine? it limits at like 6200rpm, really stressful!!

i was hoping just changing the flange bolts would sort this, guessing not?

Jay.

it could be a few things, did you notice any kind of tapping? if its a smooth limiter at 6500 rpm it mite be the vvtl ocv, its easy to take off. the vvtl valve if at fault would bring up a fault code as above, you can take the ocv out and run 12v test, the ocv should click. also behind the vvtl ocv mount you will find a small strainer which just pulls out, check and clean in diesel. check connections and connectors. if you are unlucky like me there's no c.e.l on dash its defo not a the sensor and maybe more sinister like mechanical issues . if a rocker valve is broken it can't build enough oil pressure to engage the lift lobes..

and toyota claimed it was just the vvtl valve at fault! how wrong they were and how lucky I am for doubting it and taking a look myself. I'll post a few more pics of broken parts later..

well i did a full oil change on the car and it still taps clearly. so in other words im best getting it plugge dinto computer and seeing if fault code appears or anything? apologies im new to toyota's, used to own fords (big mistake there)

but as for the smoothness..

it picks up well upto 6000rpm then really throws you forward in the seat when limiting there..

also whats c.e.l?

Jay

I need just one rocker valve which pushes the cam followers up for lift lobes but they only come as banks with cam gurrrrrr my inlet valves are fine

mine tapped, I done oil change and it still done it, that tap is the high lobe cam follower hitting the lobe due to lack of pressure. sounds like a dodgy vvtl ocv or rocker valve, these rocker valves have a sort of tiny piston controled by the ocv..

just the news I didn't want to hear, parts should be arriving Friday... which in turn means the rollas gona be off the road for another week as my mechanic goes away... oh the joy.

I would but its the timing side, I think I could tackle it I've had chance to read the technicians manual that's on the tinterweb about taking it apart etc etc but its the timing side that spooks me.. if this was my old 4a-ge lump id be in there like swim wear

good news for you, im still awaiting mine to get plugged in :-( have to let me know your total cost for repairing this, then can add to my list of new brakes, new clutch, new handbrake, (just had new radiator at £200) looking at roughly £1k for everything and only had the car since may :-( pretty annoying..

well the diagnostic that found and tested the vvtl ocv only cost me £15 - ordered a new ocv from toyota £88 which I got refunded when my mate who's a toyota tech opened the rocker cover to find the broken valve rocker. new cam and valve rockers from parts-king £299 ish. now its just gota be fitted @ £20 per hour. in all a bargain. all you have to bare in mind is the work I'm getting is cheaper then dealer price but getting the same quality workmanship

Glad to hear your car will be sorted and back on the road soon mate! These nasty surprises are never cheap or nice!

I'm getting is cheaper then dealer price but getting the same quality workmanship

Not going to start an argument or anything but in my opinion the quality of the dealer workmanship is up for debate! lol...

so roughly about £400 in total be a good estimation? i usual have work done by mates in garages also and not been able to complain about anything yet.

also this may sound a pretty stupid question, but how would you tell they're broken? any good pictures showing this? im not good with engine internals.

Mainly simple jobs and perfecting looks is my thing :help:

my warranty ran out which is why I've not gone to main toyota this time. as for if its a broken part ud have to take a gamble and open up the rocker cover and do a visual check, I'll put some pics up after work of a likely broken part. mine was easy to spot, 3 chunks half the size of 5p coin and a part that resembled a carpet tac which is the inner part of the valve rocker. they work from oil pressure. once this cam and v.rockers are out I'll show the failed part.. you still not got a check engine light?

ah right i'll await pics of your broken parts so i know what to look for.

nope, no engine management light or anything.. is this strange?

ah right i'll await pics of your broken parts so i know what to look for.

nope, no engine management light or anything.. is this strange?

id say fingers point to a mechanical problem. would you be confident to open up the cover?

ye i would be, did it on my ford zetec engines, (easy to work on) whereas these cars i wouldnt have the slightest idea what im looking for or what could be wrong, any helpful tips or idea's of anything that could be?

well, I would open her up.. hold on I'm gona go take a few pics for you..... brb

SAM_0266-1.jpgSAM_0261-1.gifSAM_0262-1.jpg obviously just check theres no broken parts rattling round.. im no mechanic so im saying this as a simple guide as you seem to be suffering the same symptoms i was.. its the tapping that worrys me.

the cam and valve rockers are coming out tommo so il take some more photos of the broke part..

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links