Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Snapped Front Coil

louiseandi

Is it common for the coil to snap on the Rav 4 ???

Only had the Rav since March after selling my lifted Hilux for something smaller and I have to say I'm beginning to regret it.

The Rav is developing a series of faults ( front driveshaft seals leaking, rear shocks leaking, rocker cover gasket,etc ) but it is 16 years old so I suppose it's fair wear and tear,

Today went for a little trip out a good 40 mile drive out, parked up, nice little walk, then back to the car.

Reversing off horrible noise from the front (banging and scrapping) drove back forwards noise not as bad. Try again same noise, try again a piece of coil drops off ..... so we phone breakdown people. Whilst waiting for them to arrive we remove the wheel to see the coil knackered and a lovely groove worn into the tyre.

After nearly 5 hours waiting the Rav is now in a garage waiting repairs.

The RAC man thinks the coil hadn't snapped today so I guess we was lucky.

Can I get away with replacing just 1 coil or will it need to have both placed ??? because the way I feel right now about the Rav I just want to sell it !

The front coils of the RAV were subject to a recall for models around 1995 - you can phone a dealer with the info for them to check if the car was subject to a recall.

The front coil springs of many cars break - maybe due to the bad roads; corrosion; and so on. 15 years with the same springs aint too bad. I've had a few broken springs over the years.

For what its worth, my sons 2005 Corsa just had a front spring replaced, with only 47,000 miles on the clock.

I'd maybe get both springs replaced, if only to make the car sit level!

Shocks - don't last for ever and again depends on how the car has been used. I changed to adjustables on number 1 RAV and am about to look for replacements for the shocks on number 2 RAV.

Been trying to find out details of the recall so am just awaiting a return call from Toyota. Mine is 1997 so I don't think it's going to be in the recall :crybaby:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links